November 20, 2014, 04:23:02 PM

Author Topic: No 7D Mark II? [CR1]  (Read 41241 times)

Gcon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: No 7D Mark II? [CR1]
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 06:44:03 AM »
Makes sense from marketing perspective at least.

70D - top of the line crop - serious amateur to enthusiast - $1500K +/- (all rounder, Rebel upgrader)
5Dx - 7D/5D merge - midmarket FF - serious amateur to pro - $3000K +/- (wedding/portrait/wedding video, serious amateur to pro wildlife/sport/landscape)
"3D/3C" - new segment - the so-called "5D-split" - high MP, video optimised FF (4K) - the video DSLR - pro - $4500K +/- (pro video/indie/Hollywood B-camera; landscape and studio pro)
1Dx - high-end pro - ultimate IQ/speed/ruggedness - pro - $6500K +/- (all-rounder pro, good for studio, video, weddings, portraits, landscapes, wildlife, sport; photojournalist bread-and-butter)

Scalable: 80D, 90D; 5Dx Mk II, III; 3C Mk II, III; 1Dx Mk II, III...

No direct correlation with what Nikon is doing, but more balanced all-round, and arguably a better camera for every price point/market segment. 7D was really an odd camera, still is.

Hopefully we'll see the 5Dx in March, 70D and 3D/C later in the year, in among all the digital-optimised new lenses.

Just my 0.02 :)

I think you're right on the money! Even if that money is only 0.02 :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 06:44:03 AM »

smirkypants

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 06:48:10 AM »
I will probably get dinged hard for this, but if there is no pro level crop sensor camera coming out in the next year, I will almost certainly get a Nikon 800D when it comes out. You can shoot a 1.5 crop on that at 16MP at 6fps gripped. Not too shabby.

The 7D came out as a counter to the 300D and has been a huge success. I can't see Canon just surrendering this market to Nikon. It just doesn't make any sense. Why would they do that?

briansquibb

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 06:54:45 AM »
The 7D came out as a counter to the 300D and has been a huge success. I can't see Canon just surrendering this market to Nikon. It just doesn't make any sense. Why would they do that?

...... because they have a replacement in the wings ..... ????

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 07:00:16 AM »
I will probably get dinged hard for this, but if there is no pro level crop sensor camera coming out in the next year, I will almost certainly get a Nikon 800D when it comes out. You can shoot a 1.5 crop on that at 16MP at 6fps gripped. Not too shabby.

I am sure the 70D will be the real replacement i have thought for a while the crop sensor camera range was too crowded they needed to rationalise it
who really cares what it is called as long as it can step up to the plate and perform
APS-H Fanboy

GL

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 07:01:46 AM »
It just doesn't make any sense. Why would they do that?

That would be the 70D...

The 7D is a real oddity - a decidedly "pro" body with glaringly non-pro features (sensor, pop-up flash anyone?). Put a 22MP new-gen FF sensor in a 7D body, add the new 1Dx-derived AF tech, and you have the 5Dx. Every 7D/5D2 owner will buy one, probably two. Pump up the 60D with some 7D tech and bring back the xxD line to it's rightful place at the top of the APS-C heap. Wham-bam, Canon sells a gazillion cameras and Nikon fanboys gloat about their 36MP that no-one really wanted anyway ;)

smirkypants

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 07:11:35 AM »
But there are a lot of people... a LOT of people... who want a pro-quality body with a cropped sensor and are willing to pay for it. I'd love 10fps, an extremely rugged build, a 1Dx quality AF system and metering.

To get that we're talking a $3000-4000 ballpark. I would pay it and so would a lot of sport and bird shooters. That's not something you will see in a 70D.

D.Sim

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, 07:19:31 AM »
Would that bring the 70D pricing up to where the 7D is now (and considerably higher at introduction of course)?

Probably similar to the old 50d/40d which was in-between the 7d and 60d. The 60d was a downgrade from the 50d in many ways.

Indeed... the 7D was always the more spiritual successor of the 50D... Would be nice to see the return of the two digit D to the top of Canon's crop lineup though...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, 07:19:31 AM »

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2012, 07:20:10 AM »
As I said before... 7D was and still is one of the best sellers that canon ever had. WHY they discontinue a very, very well selling body???

OK they will '' rise in class '' with the 70D; same performance like 7D and many improvements..... BUT what about the Nikon D7000 VS 60D!!! do you really think Canon will allow Nikon to be alone in a DSLR category??? especially when we talk about a $1000 camera model.

PS. don't mention that the new Nikon D400 is around the corner.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2012, 07:23:16 AM »
But there are a lot of people... a LOT of people... who want a pro-quality body with a cropped sensor and are willing to pay for it. I'd love 10fps, an extremely rugged build, a 1Dx quality AF system and metering.

To get that we're talking a $3000-4000 ballpark. I would pay it and so would a lot of sport and bird shooters. That's not something you will see in a 70D.
it might be but i would think more like 2k, rugged build would be similar to existing 7D i guess
if they use the same detuned 61pt sensor from the 1dx they save alot by production scale, can you imagine the point spread on a crop sensor with that beast. I wouldn't right them off just yet i think whatever the crop body they do come out with will be class leading. i just hope the IQ is a significant step up from the 7D sensor. still i am more interested in any new APS-H body than a king of the crops. I doubt canon will leave out the people craving a tough crop. like i said who cares what they call it right?
APS-H Fanboy

KeithR

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2012, 07:25:41 AM »
Well now...

You say this:
I should know as I own two 5DMarkII's and a 7D.
Then you say this:
Unfortunately it's not even close.
Which really suggests that you don't know: my 7D will do anything, IQ-wise, that your 5D Mk II will do, and plenty more besides.

Birdshooter

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2012, 07:26:27 AM »
If they would make the 5Dx a:
  • 30.8 MP FF (giving you a 12 MP crop)
  • 8 fps
  • decent ISO & DR
  • It will still have a DLA of > F8, you could still shoot the 300 1:2.8 + 2x TC + 1 stopped down, without loosing quality, unlike now with the 7D.
Both 5D owners as well as 7D owner will be very happy.

The 7D resolution is to big for its sensor. If they would have made it 13.5 MPm it would have been the best. Better ISO, better IQ and more DLA.

ogrizzo

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2012, 07:29:17 AM »
If your 7D ego has just been bruised then I suggest you get yourself a full frame camera and start pixel peeping and see the "full frame light" my friend

Excuse me? I should stop taking pictures and start pixel peeping to justify the weight and the cost of full frame?

You don't like your 7D, fine. I shooted with a 5DII, I'd never buy one, and even if I had unlimited money, I'd usually prefer to lug around a 7D+17-55+Tokina 11-16 than a 1DX+24-70 Mk II+16-35. (Not being a dentist, I'd rather save the money to replace my car when it dies).

Next time you see a press conference on TV, look at the cameras behind Canon lenses: they'll be mostly X0D, a bunch of 7D and some 1D (if any).

KeithR

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2012, 07:30:52 AM »
you could still shoot the 300 1:2.8 + 2x TC + 1 stopped down, without loosing quality, unlike now with the 7D.

"Losing quality"? Rubbish! My 7D is fantastic in those circumstances.

The 7D resolution is too big for its sensor. If they would have made it 13.5 MP it would have been the best. Better ISO, better IQ and more DLA.

How many more times for this tripe?

More pixels does not mean worse IQ.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2012, 07:30:52 AM »

D.Sim

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2012, 07:33:21 AM »
As I said before... 7D was and still is one of the best sellers that canon ever had. WHY they discontinue a very, very well selling body???

OK they will '' rise in class '' with the 70D; same performance like 7D and many improvements..... BUT what about the Nikon D7000 VS 60D!!! do you really think Canon will allow Nikon to be alone in a DSLR category??? especially when we talk about a $1000 camera model.

PS. don't mention that the new Nikon D400 is around the corner.

Because the true succession was 40D -> 50D -> 7D

The 60D is closer to a "slightly improved" 600D. Is Canon allowing Nikon to be alone? Hardly.

KeithR

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2012, 07:36:10 AM »
Excuse me? I should stop taking pictures and start pixel peeping to justify the weight and the cost of full frame?
Ignore him - another bad workman, blaming his tools.

It always creases me up when FF zealots like him say things like that as if we haven't tested these cameras, and the files that come off them, to the nth degree.

And the fact that he's suggesting pixel peeping (as opposed to IQ comparison at the image level, the only place where it matters) tells you everything you need to know about his understanding.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2012, 07:36:10 AM »