December 16, 2017, 12:08:59 PM

Author Topic: Criteria when buying lens  (Read 2916 times)

hne

• EOS M5
  • Gear limits your creativity
Re: Criteria when buying lens
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 08:04:50 AM »
I am fortunate enough to have enough money to generally be able to buy what I want, perhaps after saving up for a year or two. I do it like this:

• Identify my need, the hard requirements (this prunes the MF lenses)
  • Value the added features the competing offers
  • Find the prices for the options (often includes used-market price surveys and forecasts)
  • Order options in value/cost ratio order and see what kind of saving scheme would be needed
  • Put the best-looking option on my prioritised wish-list. Depending on needs, it makes no sense to save up for several years, in which case it goes way down the list or a cheaper option with similar value/cost ratio is selected

I saved up for 1.5 years to get either the 5DmkIV or the 6DmkII. I've put money aside for 1 year (just a bit at a time, no pressing need) to upgrade my 85mm lens, with the intention of getting the Tamron 85/1.8 VC unless someone else also figured out a way to get a stabiliser into a portrait prime while I saved up.

The Sigma 85A came in at about $750 value for its $1200 cost so that was not an option for me, and 85/1.2LII does only slightly better.

The new Canon 85/1.4L IS gets the same value/cost ratio for me as the Tamron. More trusted AF wins the argument over half the price (since the value/cost is the same). Canon takes my money.
Preferred gear: 5D IV, 35/1.4L, 85/1.4L IS, 70-200/2.8L IS, Elinchrom RX
Backup: 5D II, 17-40/4L, 85/1.8, 100-400/4.5-5.6L, Yongnuo + 622

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 08:04:50 AM »

johnf3f

• EOS 5DS R
  • Canon 1Dx
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 03:50:27 PM »

The one thing I do not want is IS/OS/VR etc. Why? Simply because I have wasted a lot of petrol/time/effort etc going to locations only to have stabilisers muck up my day!

Just my 2p

Your gear list is: Canon 1DX, 7D2, 16-35 F4 L IS, 24-70 F2.8 V2, 100 F2.8 Macro, 100-400 L IS Mk2, 300 F2.8 L IS, 800 F5.6 L IS, Holga Pinhole lens.
How do the stabilisers on your telephotos muck up your day?  Do you turn off the IS on those lenses when you them? I'm not disputing your choice, just that I am just curious as to why you made such a strong statement.

Unfortunately there were no (current at time of purchase) alternatives to the IS versions of my lenses so I had no choice! For reference it will be 4 years, at the end of December, since I have used IS and my results have been better in that time - hence my reluctance to pay for a feature that is of no use to me.

At a recent Canon Day (local camera shop) I had the Canon Rep getting better results with a 500 F4 L IS Mk2 and Canon 5D4 hand held with the IS off. He was a little surprised to say the least but had to agree IS did not help at 1/160 sec and 500mm. Note we were shooting static subjects - moving subjects would have shown a greater difference i favour of IS Off.

The first time I noticed how much IS can interfere was at a Red Kite center in West Wales. On my first visit with my (then) new lens I got a 100% failure rate! Not a single really sharp frame out of about 300. I returned the following weekend with the same gear turned IS off and got about 60% sharp of which about half were really sharp. True this lens had an early IS system but it illustrates my point. Subsequently I noticed no loss of quality on static subjects and the AF was faster so why turn it on? Or fit it in the first place?

These are just my experiences but I am sure others will disagree. I am just glad that I got an instant improvement in my photography for free! Try the Off setting - you may be pleasantly surprised..........

Canon 1DX, 7D2, 16-35 F4 L IS, 24-70 F2.8 V2, 100 F2.8 Macro, 100-400 L IS Mk2, 300 F2.8 L IS, 800 F5.6 L IS, Holga Pinhole lens.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 08:23:00 PM »
For me, Budget is always first, otherwise, I'd have one custom designed and made just to my requirements, even if it cost $100 million.

Its hard to conceive most of us not having a budget in first place.

Then, there is the question of what I need,

focal length
aperture
Image quality
zoom or prime
AF or MF
IS or not

Quality is a tricky one, it may be higher or lower depending on the usage I intend, and there are different quality attributes that are more or less important depending on the intended usage, so there is no simple canned preference.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 08:23:00 PM »