June 21, 2018, 01:02:02 AM

Author Topic: The Canon EOS M50 Will Shoot 4K [CR3]  (Read 27779 times)

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
Re: The Canon EOS M50 Will Shoot 4K [CR3]
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2018, 01:49:08 PM »
@transpo1 - the M50 will not "risk cannibalizing some of their higher-end lineup." 

I do not believe that anyone who uses a five figure video rig -- where three batteries costs more than the M50 will -- is going to consider the a 4k MILC because it's small and cheap.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2018, 01:49:08 PM »

rrcphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2018, 01:59:05 PM »
@transpo1 - the M50 will not "risk cannibalizing some of their higher-end lineup." 

I do not believe that anyone who uses a five figure video rig -- where three batteries costs more than the M50 will -- is going to consider the a 4k MILC because it's small and cheap.

indeed. the cannibalization myth is overused.

mistaspeedy

• EOS M5
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2018, 02:27:14 PM »
4K means it will be $1000 overpriced, yet crippled in other ways at the same time :D

I would really like to see Canon offer something that is half decent for not too much money.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 02:32:38 PM by mistaspeedy »
Canon 6D, Canon 1D mark II, Canon 50mm F1.4 USM, Tamron 28-75 F2.8

crashpc

• EOS 80D
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2018, 02:30:56 PM »
It will be overpriced and crippled, thus selling poorly, and Canon will conclude from that one, that 4K is overrated and customers don't want it. :-D
That's how it works at Canon really.
I don't shoot video, so it's not an issue for me, but I can imagine how they lost the development workforce for this, instead of for something more exciting.
Long live Canon!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sJBq0z2Vmu4

transpo1

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2018, 02:44:17 PM »

indeed. the cannibalization myth is overused.

@Talys. I completely agree. It won’t cannibalize very useable video rigs for professionals that costs 10x as much. But Canon has not held that opinion. Which is why they hobble certain features in lower end bodies, both stills and video. Note that I said “risk cannibalizing” because I don’t think it actually will. But Canon has typically had a conservative mindset on this.

@RRC Please elaborate and explain why it’s a myth. It’s not a myth but a necessity that a company cannibalize it’s own products before someone else does. Why else put 4K into an M50?

Also, please note the above- I don’t believe it will cannibalize. Nor would a 5DIV with better crop factor 4K necessarily cannibalize a Cinema EOS; nor would a 7DIII with 4K 60p cannibalize a 1DXII...okay, well that might ;)

rrcphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2018, 02:47:08 PM »
@RRC Please elaborate and explain why it’s a myth.

it's a myth that Canon cares so much about it.

Canon has actually stated the reverse.  They view as their products as competing against each other.

Canon is bright enough to realize a cheap M6 styled 4K camera isn't going to compete against any other camera canon currently has, and if the user buys that so what? they stayed within the ecosystem.

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2018, 03:56:17 PM »

it's a myth that Canon cares so much about it...

...Canon is bright enough to realize a cheap M6 styled 4K camera isn't going to compete against any other camera canon currently has, and if the user buys that so what? they stayed within the ecosystem.

Yes. I am amused (but also frustrated) by this myth that Canon "hobbles" one product to benefit another.

Every company differentiates between products. To expect that a low-cost product should have the same features as a high-end product is goofy. It doesn't happen in any other industry or with any other product. Why should we expect Canon to put the same feature set in cameras that cost a fraction of what the higher end bodies cost?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2018, 03:56:17 PM »

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2018, 03:59:15 PM »
I suspect we have seen the last of the enthusiast level Canons that do not have 4K. Whichever comes next, the 90D or the 7DIII will almost certainly offer 4K. And, then, forum dwellers can move on from "Canon is cheating me by not offering 4K" to "Canon is cheating me by not offering the same level of 4K that they offer in their Cinema EOS line."

JBSF

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2018, 04:11:06 PM »
I just don't get why Honda has to cripple the Civic, when they could put the 573 hp NSX engine/drivetrain and suspension in it and sell it to me for $18K. 

tmroper

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2018, 04:15:18 PM »
It will be overpriced and crippled, thus selling poorly, and Canon will conclude from that one, that 4K is overrated and customers don't want it. :-D
That's how it works at Canon really.
I don't shoot video, so it's not an issue for me, but I can imagine how they lost the development workforce for this, instead of for something more exciting.
Long live Canon!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sJBq0z2Vmu4

Canon is already selling mirrorless 4K video cameras, and making a lot of money doing it.  So if anything, the problem for developing a small, cheap consumer mirrorless camera might be getting the Canon workforce motivated to work on them rather than the pro level where they're already doing and shipping great products.   Sony and Panasonic have found the motivation, though, so Canon should be able to, too.

transpo1

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2018, 04:17:05 PM »
I suspect we have seen the last of the enthusiast level Canons that do not have 4K. Whichever comes next, the 90D or the 7DIII will almost certainly offer 4K. And, then, forum dwellers can move on from "Canon is cheating me by not offering 4K" to "Canon is cheating me by not offering the same level of 4K that they offer in their Cinema EOS line."

Thank you, this is the path forward :)

Seriously, though, my position ALWAYS has been that if they put the guts of the 1DXII video features into a 5D-type body- let's call it a 5DC- took out the mirror and gave it an EVF and FF crop factor in 4K with a better codec, they could charge whatever they want for that and people would buy it. I'd easily pay 7-8K for something like that if it had very competitive video features, like 4K 60p and 1080 120p (leaving the stellar stills capability of course).

transpo1

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2018, 04:24:10 PM »

it's a myth that Canon cares so much about it.

Canon has actually stated the reverse.  They view as their products as competing against each other.

Canon is bright enough to realize a cheap M6 styled 4K camera isn't going to compete against any other camera canon currently has, and if the user buys that so what? they stayed within the ecosystem.

Your statements contradict one another. They don't care about cannibalization but they care about their cameras competing against one another? That means they care about cannibalizing their products  :D

Perhaps what you meant is that they WANT their products to compete against each other. Which, I'm sure, is true for some of their products, especially within their lower-end camera lines (which have so many options) but certainly not for their higher-end products. They certainly don't want those (at least in the past) to have serious competition from their cheaper cameras, as we can see in the Cinema EOS line, etc.

With your last statement you are partially right- Canon is bright enough NOW to realize a cheap M6... etc.

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2018, 04:28:54 PM »
I'd say this is getting new sensor technology as well as a new processor.  Canon's APS-C sensors have not been capable of 4K, so something has changed.  Of course, any camera can be made to do 4K, but to do it right is another matter.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2018, 04:28:54 PM »

mkabi

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2018, 04:31:08 PM »

I don't know what optimistic fairy tale you live in....

Coming back to reality, these are the real prices of Canon gear without 4K:

M100:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/c/search?Ntt=canon%20eos%20m100&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ps#searchOpen

M5:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/search?N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search&Ntt=canon%20eos%20m5

M6:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/search?N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search&Ntt=canon%20eos%20m6

Now reality with one of their cheapest 4K offering:

XC15:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1278108-REG/canon_1456c002_xc15_4k_professional_camcorder.html

In fact, even though this rumor is a CR3, it's still a rumor... And, I can't see Canon jumping ahead of their schedule to put 4K in their Mirrorless camera... Before the 7D mark 3, 90D, t8i.... It's a gamble that they won't risk.... I mean given that NAB 2018 is coming it would be smarter to put C-log in the 1dx mark 2, but you don't see that happening. They put in C-log in the 5D mark IV but neglect it in the 1dx mark 2... That's pretty illogical to me and Im sure most here, but Im sure it has something to do with appealing to the masses while at the same time not hurting the sales of their other products.

With that said, what are the chances that they are going to give you something equal or better than what the 5D mark IV or the XC15 has to offer???

*snort* bwahahaha and at half the price haha of Fuji's X-H1 price tag ($1899). Man... You're a funny guy.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 04:34:07 PM by mkabi »
Bah...

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2018, 04:52:47 PM »
Some people don't realize that a CR3 Rumor usually happens just before a release when information becomes known to a larger group of people. 

There are people who actually know who leak information to CR, and when there different reliable known sources confirming the data, its virtually guaranteed.

If you have other information that is different, please send it to CR Guy, just claiming that Canon won't do it without any factual data is just a wish. 

Its very rare that a CR3 is not a firm fact, sometimes Canon pushes a announcement out into the future, but a CR3 is 98% at least correct.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2018, 04:52:47 PM »