February 22, 2018, 04:17:48 PM

Author Topic: Patent: Image Sensor Stabilization  (Read 861 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • Canon Rumors
Patent: Image Sensor Stabilization
« on: February 11, 2018, 04:26:59 PM »
Our previous post about what appeared to be image sensor stabilization in drawing from a lens stabilization patent proved to be false after further translation by Canon News.

However, an image sensor stabilization patent was uncovered.

From Canon News:

This patent shows clearly that canon is finally looking at stablizing the sensor.

Part 402 in the diagram is to move the actual sensor as described in the corresponding notations;

401 calculates a target value of an amount of rotation drive of the imaging device on the basic of a roll correction angle. On the basis of the target value of the calcuated amount of shift drive and the target value of rotation drive, the driving mechanism unit 402 moves the imaging device, so that shake correction and tilt correction is performed.

We missed after publishing this patent, that Keith at Northlight also uncovered this patent.

We’ve updated the previous post.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 04:32:11 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Patent: Image Sensor Stabilization
« on: February 11, 2018, 04:26:59 PM »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
Re: Patent: Image Sensor Stabilization
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 04:46:28 PM »
In the great debate over which is better, stabilizing the sensor or stabilizing the lens, the answer is clear.... BOTH!
The best camera is the one in your hands

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 05:20:32 PM »
I suspect that it will be used to correct for tilt when taking images with a powershot.  It is possible to stabilize the image as well, maybe it becomes cheaper for powershots than a IS unit in the lens, or perhaps they can work together, but thats not in this patent.

The unique thing seems to be that the user can control several aspects of the correction.

"[0008]    The present  invention  is  directed  to  correction  of image  blur  or  tilt  of  an 
image  within  a  predetermined correction  range  on  the  basis  of  a  setting  of  a 
correction effect  optically  designated  by a user in an image-blur  correction apparatus for
correcting image blur of an image or a tilt correction  apparatus  for correcting  tilt of an
image."

Antono Refa

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 01:49:13 AM »
I suspect that it will be used to correct for tilt when taking images with a powershot.

The camera in the drawing looks like a powershot (no protruding pentaprism, glass element in the body close to the sensor), so that figures.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 10:37:38 AM by Antono Refa »

Cochese

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 09:25:01 AM »
Seems to be for a powershot body, but that makes sense if they're looking for a potentially lower risk way to test a new system such as that. Then again, it could just be a way to test the system in a mirrorless type body.

sanj

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 09:28:44 AM »
I would be ecstatic to have a 5d5 with stabilized sensor. Absolutely ecstatic. Cart wheels. At my age.

bwud

• EOS M5
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 09:04:13 AM »
In the great debate over which is better, stabilizing the sensor or stabilizing the lens, the answer is clear.... BOTH!

Agreed, the combination is really powerful. This was a “oh crap the moon looks cool but my tripod is in the truck and my kid hid the keys so I have to run out to shoot handheld” special. Usually since the moon is so bright it’s not an issue, but with f/11 max aperture (100-400 + 2.0 TC), I had to use a longish exposure time.

It could be a better photo, but for 800mm hand held for 1/250 and then cropped in about 1/3, it’s not half bad, thanks to a combination of lens and body stabilization.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 09:04:13 AM »