July 23, 2018, 11:53:26 AM

Author Topic: Quick Detach (QD) plate needed for 5D3  (Read 1220 times)

slclick

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
Quick Detach (QD) plate needed for 5D3
« on: June 21, 2018, 08:46:35 PM »
I use an L plate for my 5D3 and a Quick Detach (QD) RRS plate for the M5. I would rather have QD releases for all my straps and was wondering if anyone had a QD solution for the 5D3. I have contacted RRS but they are slow to respond. Thanks

Oh and I know some folks answer to this query would be to buy a 5D4
That's it, I'm switching to Rollei

canon rumors FORUM

Quick Detach (QD) plate needed for 5D3
« on: June 21, 2018, 08:46:35 PM »

Jim Saunders

• EOS 5DS R
    • HHA Photo
Re: Quick Detach (QD) plate needed for 5D3
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 09:57:09 PM »
I've used a strap with an ARCA Swiss clamp on the end to good effect, if that helps?

Jim
A good image might fit entirely into the histogram, might not.

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 12:04:16 AM »
I think that you can find used ones on ebay and even Craigslist.  I see a local is asking $44 for one.

https://spokane.craigslist.org/pho/d/really-right-stuff-plate/6621370504.html

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 08:15:39 AM »
I think that you can find used ones on ebay and even Craigslist.  I see a local is asking $44 for one.

The issue isn't availability, RRS still sells the original design plates for the 5DIII.  What the OP is looking for is a plate with the QD socket that RRS has designed into their newer plates, which is the connection point for their in-licensed strap attachment system (Magpul, a company that makes carrying straps for firearms).

I really doubt that RRS will go back and re-design older plates to include the socket.

Jim's solution is what I use ā€“ a Kirk 1" clamp attached (with Loctite) to the lug of my blackrapid straps. I prefer that, because it allows me to connect the strap to any Arca-Swiss dovetail (camera or lens plate).
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 09:59:06 AM »

The issue isn't availability, RRS still sells the original design plates for the 5DIII.  What the OP is looking for is a plate with the QD socket that RRS has designed into their newer plates, which is the connection point for their in-licensed strap attachment system (Magpul, a company that makes carrying straps for firearms).

I really doubt that RRS will go back and re-design older plates to include the socket.

Jim's solution is what I use ā€“ a Kirk 1" clamp attached (with Loctite) to the lug of my blackrapid straps. I prefer that, because it allows me to connect the strap to any Arca-Swiss dovetail (camera or lens plate).
OK, that sounds right.  They will not go back to a discontinued camera and redesign.  I use the Kirk 1" clamp as well for larger cameras, but find myself carrying my SL-2 around for outdoor use, its light, just barely big enough for my hands and does a reasonable job.  As soon as ISO rises above 3200, images get noticably noisy though.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 10:11:55 AM »
I use the Kirk 1" clamp as well for larger cameras, but find myself carrying my SL-2 around for outdoor use, its light, just barely big enough for my hands and does a reasonable job. 

Yeah.  I have multiple ways to carry a camera ā€“ the BR strap, a Spider Holster on a Lowepro Batman belt with an Arca clamp from Spider.  But for local outings/events, I typically just handhold the 1D X (I have the E1 handstrap on it), and set it down somewhere when Iā€™m not using it.
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

slclick

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 10:40:43 AM »
I've used that Kirk 1" clamp setup for a while now and it was my goto but when I got the M5 and the Magpul for the QD, that system blew my mind and I'd love it on all my cameras. I understand it may have to wait for my FF until I get a 5DV.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 10:40:43 AM »

dppaskewitz

• EOS M5
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 12:54:17 PM »
I've used that Kirk 1" clamp setup for a while now and it was my goto but when I got the M5 and the Magpul for the QD, that system blew my mind and I'd love it on all my cameras. I understand it may have to wait for my FF until I get a 5DV.

The same.  The QD was such an elegant solution for the M5 that I had to upgrade from the 6D to the 5DIV so I could get the RRS L bracket with QD for both my Mirrorless and SLR BR straps (well there may have been some other considerations....).  Before that, I happily used Neuro's 1" Kirk clamp solution, which worked very well (although I think my clamps were not actually Kirk's but knockoffs - never had an issue with them, though). 
5D4; 6D (for now); M5; M3 (for now); several lenses (Ls, non-Ls and Ms).  Enthusiast.

slclick

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 02:16:19 PM »

The same.  The QD was such an elegant solution for the M5 that I had to upgrade from the 6D to the 5DIV so I could get the RRS L bracket with QD for both my Mirrorless and SLR BR straps (well there may have been some other considerations....).  Before that, I happily used Neuro's 1" Kirk clamp solution, which worked very well (although I think my clamps were not actually Kirk's but knockoffs - never had an issue with them, though).

At the time the 1" clamps seemed svelte but after using the QD they now seem quite bulky.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 02:16:19 PM »