October 02, 2014, 12:54:03 AM

Author Topic: *UPDATE* The Next 5D on March 2, 2012 [CR3]  (Read 181567 times)

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: The Next 5D on February 27/28, 2012 [CR3]
« Reply #255 on: February 23, 2012, 01:34:01 AM »
I am SOOOO happy Canon did not go up to 30MP+. . . THIS is perfect, and they may get the edge over Nikon in all the tests on ISO now AND AF.

Nikon folks have also had to go on the defensive about actually using the D800. Apparently the technical manual warns against hand held photography as there's an increased risk of blurred images. I'm sure wedding photographers will love that. Or they'll be forced to shoot at ISO 6400 all the time so that they can shoot indoors at 1/320 in order to prevent the bride's dress becoming a blurry mess.

I think rather than announcing a kit lens with it they will have a kit tripod...

:D

just trying to lighten the mood guys ... be gentle

Bipod mount, like you get on longer rifles...  ;D

ROFL

you want to know something sad, the other day I was actually looking at these on ebay figuring out how i could adapt it to fit my 600mm FD lens...

even sadder... I have a concept together just got to get around to doing it

:o oh S___! that's actually not such a bad idea

yeah since you like the idea
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-6-9-Tactical-Mount-Metal-Rifle-Bipod-Spring-Legs-20MM-Return-Rest-M700-/130599948226?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1e685d0fc2
that with one of these on top
http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=B2-mAS&type=0&eq=&desc=B2-mAS%3a-38mm-clamp%2c-non-threaded-hole
 nice and easy top pop on or off a quick release plate on the lens foot
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #255 on: February 23, 2012, 01:34:01 AM »

D.Sim

« Reply #256 on: February 23, 2012, 01:42:42 AM »
Maybe... just maybe Canon will release the 5D3 with the new 24-70 for $3,999.99!
Wishful thinking... true to your name though.

As to the bipod mount: If you have a ballhead-ish thing on top of the bipod to allow you freedom of movement... it could work... quite well =P

especially on those monster FD lenses... was watching the old Apollo 13 again and all I could see this time were large, long, white lenses =D

p/s Wombat, you're not the only one who's thought about it...   :-[
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 01:51:53 AM by D.Sim »

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #257 on: February 23, 2012, 01:44:27 AM »
The tech manual doesn't warn against shooting handheld, but it does encourage shooting with a tripod to reduce motion blur due to the high mp, they are basically giving a no nonsense tip. They are actually saying that because they have such a high mp camera, you will now be able notice the imperfections in your photos even more than you used too, so the tripod encouragement should come as no surprise. I can't imagine any camera manufacturer promoting shooting handheld over tripod for any reason.

Here the tech manual for those interested

http://www.nikonusa.com/en_US/o/Y6wrkA9OU_z04IreazIXl_22UII/PDF/D800_TechnicalGuide_En.pdf

I was about to post something similar, but I don't have to anymore thanks to yours. How dare you post evidence (i.e. the actual manual in question) instead of spreading purposefully twisted hearsay.

moreorless

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 23, 2012, 02:00:28 AM »
I don't see that as being the case, with the 5D mk2 vs the D700 Canon offered superior resolution and video while Nikon offered superior AF, build and FPS.

I respectfully disagree. It wasn't like canon wanted to offer superior resolution, they had no other choice as they will never offer pro AF in anything other than 1D series. So canon decided to sacrifice 1Ds sensor to protect their 1D sports market.  If they did it the other way and offered pro AF, pro built, weatherseals in $2500 body, how are they gonna justify their $4500 1D?

Video was added by their marketing as a gimmick and it worked.

It seems like there offering that or something close to it in the new 5D.

Really though I don't see how this arguement disprooves my own, yes Canon likely wanted to defend the market for the 1D with the 5D mk2 but you could argue Nikon wantd to defend the D3x market with the D700 plus of course Nikon was also offering a superior ISO/FPS performance to the D700 for alot of its run with the D3s. Whether you personally like it or not video was clearly a massive feature for large numbers of people on the 5D aswell.

How does that disproove my arguement that Canon were offering more in some areas and Nikon in others?

The difference to me seems to be that in the past Nikon were the more conservative company with many releases where as Canon pushed ahead with new tech first and could offer less performance in other areas as a result. Nikon linking up with Sony for sensors while Canon stay exclusively in house seems like its evened the odds to me though and I suspect we'll see more back and fourth from both companies.

Martin

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 23, 2012, 02:05:24 AM »
Reading all the things, specs and information for about last few months i really regret changing my gear about a year ago. Now i am almost decided I will switch once more, but i think that would the last one. Hate selling things via internet, especially expensive things like lens. Have no idea what pushed me for leaving Nikon, as far as I remeber it was iso 100 (noisy by the way), 135 2.0, and 35 1.4 and higher mpix. Now the market looks completely different, and i am stuck.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 02:07:20 AM by Martin »
5D3, 35L, 85 1.8, 135L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS II, 580 EX II.

D.Sim

« Reply #260 on: February 23, 2012, 02:11:14 AM »
Reading all the things, specs and information for about last few months i really regret changing my gear about a year ago. Now i am almost decided I will switch once more, but i think that would the last one. Hate selling things via internet, especially expensive things like lens. Have no idea what pushed me for leaving Nikon, as far as I remeber it was iso 100 (noisy by the way), 135 2.0, and 35 1.4 and higher mpix. Now the market looks completely different, and i am stuck.
Just how are you stuck?

iso 100 (noisy by the way),

Still here

135 2.0,

Still here

and 35 1.4

Still here

and higher mpix.

The only thing we've lost out to - or have we?

If you've got the funds to jump around year after year to which system has the newer update, you're gonna get pretty tired...

moreorless

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 23, 2012, 02:29:40 AM »
I am SOOOO happy Canon did not go up to 30MP+. . . THIS is perfect, and they may get the edge over Nikon in all the tests on ISO now AND AF.

Nikon folks have also had to go on the defensive about actually using the D800. Apparently the technical manual warns against hand held photography as there's an increased risk of blurred images. I'm sure wedding photographers will love that. Or they'll be forced to shoot at ISO 6400 all the time so that they can shoot indoors at 1/320 in order to prevent the bride's dress becoming a blurry mess.

The tech manual doesn't warn against shooting handheld, but it does encourage shooting with a tripod to reduce motion blur due to the high mp, they are basically giving a no nonsense tip. They are actually saying that because they have such a high mp camera, you will now be able notice the imperfections in your photos even more than you used too, so the tripod encouragement should come as no surprise. I can't imagine any camera manufacturer promoting shooting handheld over tripod for any reason.

Here the tech manual for those interested

http://www.nikonusa.com/en_US/o/Y6wrkA9OU_z04IreazIXl_22UII/PDF/D800_TechnicalGuide_En.pdf

As problems such as this and diffraction become more of an issue though it does potentially have an impact on the market.

"Landscape" is a pretty broad market afterall, I'm sure it makes up a very sizeble part of 5D mk2 sales but is all of that market using TSE lenses and shooting from tripods most of the time? I'd guess no,  most of them are using a 24-105 IS, 70-200 f/4 or 17-40 hand held and are probabley not printing larger than A2 very often. For many of those people the 5D mk3 seems like it may actually a be a superior landscape camera(certainly a much cheaper one than buying  12-24, 24-70 and 70-200 2.8 lenses for the D800) if the ISO performance is better than the Nikon and the standard zoom lens in the normal range has IS.

As has been said the question to me seems to be how sucessful will Canon be at transmitting that message? doesnt seem like the kind of thing that can really be gotten across easily in adverts depending more of reviewers and shop reps to bring it up. I spose Canon will have the advanatge that they can include the 24-105 IS as a kit lens and still utilise alot of the new sensors resolution where as Nikon likely won't be able to with the 24-120 VR.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #261 on: February 23, 2012, 02:29:40 AM »

Mark D5 TEAM II

• 1D X
  • Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 23, 2012, 02:45:41 AM »
The only remaining details yet to be CR3'ed would be the FPS (jeez, Canon, no more decimal point FPS crap like 6.3/3.9/3.7/3.4 FPS on previous bodies, those "new" CIPA regulations date back to 2007, make it whole numbers like other manufacturers have done, if it's 7FPS make sure it does 7FPS on actual testing, if it's 8FPS, same thing, etc.) and native ISO range (NL has it at 100-25600, only a stop below the D1x's native range, and a stop above D4 and two stops above D800 native range).

In summary, this 5D specs get my vote as my personal "achievable dream all-around cam".  8)
Nikon NSF16 5-Leaf Dual-Blade Industrial Fan ¦ Nikon NTMFI-H1 Dry Heavy Flat Iron ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMRC1-2S Rice Cooker “Limited Edition” ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMJK18-S Stainless Electric Kettle Plate Type ¦ Nikon NHT 2-in-1 Curling Iron & Straightener in One ¦ Nikon N4004s Decision Master System™

cps_user

« Reply #263 on: February 23, 2012, 03:27:17 AM »
Looks like a great update on paper. We'll have to wait and see what the full spec list is going to be. Like the dual slots. Maybe the compact design prevents them from having two dual CF's, but this is fine as well. I currently shoot with a 64gb sd in my 1d IV and 1Ds III and this works fine; the camera shoots raw on slot 1 and 2, where the sd is in slot 2 and smaller CF cards are in slot 1.

Glad it isn't a megapixel monster like the D800. This will really screw up some people's workflow (it would screw up mine, anyway - would need lots more cards, working off the NAS would be f*ckup up with these large raw files, etc.) and it also means Canon has probably chosen for better high iso / dr. I wouldn't be surprised if they release a high megapixel body later...or maybe even a whole new medium format line? ;)

SebSic

« Reply #264 on: February 23, 2012, 03:55:31 AM »
I read a few pages but got tired of reading about pricing. . . . point taken on both sides.

I really do not see this price as being that much of a surprise. . . especially if the SAME AF that is on the 1Dx will be on the 5D mkIII . . AND with dedicated digic4! It will probably have 1 digic 5+ and not 2 . . . so far enough to understand the price increase over the 5DmkII. Also keep in mind that it will have new sensor technology over older 5D AND better video. For the rest of us, all this is a dream considering some of us (like me) were willing to dive off the deep end to get a 1Dx. . . . hell we can get 2 mkIII. . . . AND the price WILL drop, thanks to Nikonian competition, and simply regular market fluctuations and history, too.

Think about this also, that if you are a pro, and wanted to get 2 1Dx, you can now safely buy 1 1DX and 1 5DmkIII, and feel perfectly confident.

I REALLY need a new system before end of April, so I hope I can get my hands on a 5DmkIII by then . . .

Price of 3500$ is high in comparison with 5D and 5D II. There is no way to argue.
I would like to compare new 5D to a MERCEDES and 1DX to a FERRARI.
This is not because you will add many improvements to your new MERCEDES that you will have to pay the price of a FERRARI...
This is not because you add automatic multizone air cooled in your car, even if a great improvement, that you will have to pay the price of a FERRARI.

Or the Canon politics for 5D has changed and the target public for 5D is no more amateurs like me but only professionals ?

nigelc

« Reply #265 on: February 23, 2012, 03:56:23 AM »
Absolutely nothing in this specification to interest me - I'll stick with 5D2 until i can afford to get a D800E (and lenses)

Aputure

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Aputure Blog
« Reply #266 on: February 23, 2012, 04:13:41 AM »
You should wait for the 5DV - THAT is the one you are waiting for.

quote author=Mooose link=topic=3549.msg74582#msg74582 date=1329940224]
So.... should I preorder or wait for the 5DmkIV?
[/quote]

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 23, 2012, 04:14:38 AM »
If the specs and price are true... then i will order a 5Dmk2 for $2200 ( where i live ) for studio work and a 7D for outdoor.

The final result will be $3650... for a 5Dmk2 and a 7D..... HMMMMMMM

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #267 on: February 23, 2012, 04:14:38 AM »

pravkp

« Reply #268 on: February 23, 2012, 04:22:00 AM »
i am happy that i dint pull the trigger when there were great discounts on 5D2 (in December). No doubt 5D2 WILL remain a great camera. But then, since i had/have the choice of waiting i feel better now :)

I only hope Canon starts shipping earlier than June. Read *high hopes* - heck, Feb 27/28 is still a rumor ( albeit, a highly plausible one).

BTW, have you gotten your 1Dx yet? Oh, wait....

oh, wait.. didn't neuro mean exactly that when he finished with saying "oh, wait.." ?   :D

maxxevv

« Reply #269 on: February 23, 2012, 04:45:26 AM »

Price of 3500$ is high in comparison with 5D and 5D II. There is no way to argue.
I would like to compare new 5D to a MERCEDES and 1DX to a FERRARI.
This is not because you will add many improvements to your new MERCEDES that you will have to pay the price of a FERRARI...
This is not because you add automatic multizone air cooled in your car, even if a great improvement, that you will have to pay the price of a FERRARI.

Or the Canon politics for 5D has changed and the target public for 5D is no more amateurs like me but only professionals ?

The Mercedes has been pushed up to the realm of a souped-up AMG.  ( if you do not already know what that is... you shouldn't bother talking about Ferrari's ... )   :P

If you want to say, its like the Mercedes SLK versus the Mercedes Mclaren SLR. Both are of the Mercedes SL pedigree but one costs more than 3 times the other ... Because everything that can be improved had been improved and exceeded upon. 

In the first place, you should be buying what you can afford. If you can't then you should buy a Fiat Panda instead or a regular Mercedes instead (if the penny stretches that far). Likewise for cameras.

Let market forces dictate.

If Canon priced this camera too high, and the market refuses to accept it, it will bomb ... But if Canon got it right .. it will be another best seller ... like the 5DmkII.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #269 on: February 23, 2012, 04:45:26 AM »