August 28, 2014, 03:39:13 AM

Author Topic: About the 1Dx?  (Read 3998 times)

Shnookums

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
About the 1Dx?
« on: March 02, 2012, 09:05:52 AM »
The new 5DIII looks like a great camera and will perform as expected I'm sure but... What about some 1Dx precision?

Does Canon has a firm release date for the 1Dx? Also, they said that the camera was announced in advance to be able to gather some feedback from people and maybe make some correction before the release. Any news on what could change between the announcement date and the release?

Things like comparing images on the screen is a nice feature of the 5D I would like to get with the 1Dx... That is, when it finally comes out...

I was hoping Canon would take to opportunity of the 5DIII launch to talk about the 1Dx and maybe have some new sample / info out... Nothing yet :\

alaskakd

Re: About the 1Dx?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 01:30:55 PM »
This is also my question - comparison between the new Mark 5 III and DX?  I am a wildlife photographer who specializes in Africa but during the "off season" I shoot mostly mountain landscapes.  I have several questions - 1.  What are we getting by spending $2000 more dollars to buy the DX?  Yes, 12 frames per second, but most of the time the 6 frames per second that the new 5D III offers will be good enough.  Weather proofing - a bit overrated in importance in my opinion.  Better metering?  And obviously the big question 22.3 MP vs. 18 PM and all important IQ - this is what really matters.  I have the money to buy either camera but not both.  I have a 5D Mark II (which I really like and it focuses fine if you only use the central square) and a Mark IV which I also like.  I sold my extra Mark IV to buy new technology.  I want outstanding focusing speed and high IQ but I am leery of the $6500 price bump for the DX UNLESS it is significantly better than the new 5D Mark III. I don't really get Canon's marketing strategy and OMG I want to see images from both cameras in real life tests side by side.  Oh, VIDEO - I could care less about this - I shoot stills and this is what I love to do.  Oh and finally if I have to shoot above 3200 ISO it is raining and I am back at the lodge drinking Tuskers.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 01:33:13 PM »
comparison between the new Mark 5 III and DX? 

I posted this elsewhere, but it's relevant here, too.  For wildlife shooting, the spot metering linked to the AF point is a great feature.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

wockawocka

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 05:45:38 PM »
I thought the 1DX had in camera HDR?
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 06:32:34 PM »

I posted this elsewhere, but it's relevant here, too.  For wildlife shooting, the spot metering linked to the AF point is a great feature.

Nice comparison.  Well done and +1

So neuro, which one are we getting?

mrmarks

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 06:41:02 PM »
Neuro, thanks for the nice comparison table. So, is 18MP in the 1DX good enough for landscapes?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 07:33:34 PM by mrmarks »

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 06:57:21 PM »

Also, for me the dual-CF is an advantage over the CF + SD

Built in grip... that's a wash... I prefer the grip most of the time but do sometimes remove it for size convenience.  Bigger isn't always better.  But built in is more stable.  Hmmmm... which way to go?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 06:58:33 PM »

I'm 95% sure we're getting the 1D X...   ;D
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

XanuFoto

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 07:02:06 PM »
I am not shooting the Olympics so I will settle for the MKII. :)

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 07:08:23 PM »

I'm 95% sure we're getting the 1D X...   ;D

Sweet.  That's what I was hoping to hear.

Z

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 06:47:35 AM »
Given that you would probaby use the battery grip for the 5D Mark III, wouldn't it gain the battery life upper hand?

psolberg

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 08:25:01 AM »

great comparison. I take it since the 5DIII uses a different and lower spec metering sensor it can't do what the 1DX can.

vinfung88

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 09:25:59 PM »
Does anyone have any news of the 1DX so far? its all about the 5D mark III these few days, but no news about the 1DX yet. Hopefully the preorders can start soon!

nikkito

• 7D
  • Argentine freelance photographer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 07:45:42 PM »
I have already preordered and paid my 1D X here in Switzerland. It' s said I'll be available in late april.
www.nicolaszonvi.com - www.facebook.com/zonviphoto

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.