July 29, 2014, 05:31:40 AM

Author Topic: IPAD 3 = Lame  (Read 12040 times)

ssrdd

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: IPAD 3 = Lame
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 02:37:01 PM »
its lame, so 5d iii.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 02:37:01 PM »

5dmk.iii

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 02:45:55 PM »
its lame, so 5d iii.

I preordered both products this week and both on their third generations  :P

APBPhoto

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 02:55:53 PM »
I did not  upgrade from a 1 to 2, so I will mostly likely go for a 3.

cx1

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 02:58:58 PM »
I was looking at the comments on apple.com for the USB & SD adapter and found 8 pages of people complaining that one of the updates took a lot of the initial functionality of the kit away.

Anyone have experience with a 7D or 60D and this kit on the current update?

Narcolepsy

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • www.veterinaryadvances.com
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 02:59:57 PM »
Ordered the iPad 3 this morning
One man's lame is another's essential tool.....

Michael_pfh

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 03:02:32 PM »
let's turn this debate into a move productive one: is there a tablet that can be used a HDMI monitor for a DSLR? that would really be a good reason to buy one... or can you get your files to a tablet via Eye-Fi while shooting?

Yes, you can.
1DX | 14 2.8L II | 16-35 2.8L II | 24 1.4L II | 24-70 2.8L II | ZE 35 2.0 | ZE 50 2.0 | 85 1.2L II | 100 2.8L IS | 135 2.0L | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 200 F2.0L IS | 300 2.8L IS II | 400 2.8L IS II | 500 4.0L IS

aldvan

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 03:09:18 PM »
Android for ever! And now, bombard my karma, I don't care...  :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 03:09:18 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 07:13:24 PM »
I've looked at the Hyperdrive and may end up getting one.
How is the interface? looks a little cluncky
I have resisted buying an Ipad In the hope that it would get USB host functionality. I am not ragging on apple, I use Macs, iphones etc but for me there is nothing the ipad does that my iphone cant so no point getting it.

The apple camera connection kit will allow you to download photos from a card to the ipad however there is no way to transfer those photos to an external hard drive (maybe the hyperdrive will work here, does anyone know if the hyper drive will work with an iphone?)

I would love to be able to shoot tethered to an ipad
I would love to be able to use the ipad for live view shooting

currently i can control my 5Dmk2 with my iphone and the dslrbot app but that does not have any live view shooting function as its all one way comms over IR

when travelling it would be great to be able to only take an ipad and a compact portable hard drive rather than a laptop. Maybe a macbook air is the best option instead
APS-H Fanboy

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 07:57:44 PM »

I would love to be able to shoot tethered to an ipad
I would love to be able to use the ipad for live view shooting

when travelling it would be great to be able to only take an ipad and a compact portable hard drive rather than a laptop. Maybe a macbook air is the best option instead

Tethered and liveview would be a killer app.

A buddy of mine has a Macbook air and Macbook Pro (and I bought his iPad 1 and then he bought a 2 - anyway I digress). He loves the size of the Macbook Air but does not find it powerfull enough for LR and PS - so that might be a consideration.

I am a subway commuter and I used to read books or watch video on an iPod Touch. The iPad has changed the whole experience. A PC/MAC needs time to boot, has keyboard, whereas the iPad (or any tablet) just appears when you whip it out. I have used it to pull up shot ideas in the studio or on location too.

If you were only going to get one, I would get the Air but if you will love the iPad. BTW, get Goodreader - the best PDf reader out there, bar none!

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 08:19:27 PM »
I agree the no-usb thing sucks, and is limiting, dont they make an adapter by now?  But I think aside from that the updates are  pretty awesome, quad core vs dual, 1080p video, higher MP camera, and I can't imagine how good a 10" retina display looks.  And it's the same price, so it's kinda hard to hate.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:21:27 PM by Axilrod »
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 08:32:07 PM »
I agree the no-usb thing sucks, and is limiting, dont they make an adapter by now?

My Apple camera kit has two dongles, one with a SDHC card slot and one with a USB port. I plug a card reader into the USB port but that's it - they have locked it down to that functionality. I am reading the Steve Jobs book now and he had a fanatical obsession with controlling the end-user experience hence some of the shortcomings we see in their products.

They could rule the photography/video space if the iPad was a little more integration friendly.

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 08:36:01 PM »

You've been able to do this from Android devices for a while now.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.dslrcontroller

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 08:40:25 PM »

Nice! I am in love with Goodreader and it is only available on IOS - I think Apple made them rich  ;D

If I was going to buy something other than Apple then I would look at an Android device - they are knocking it out of the park.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 08:40:25 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 11:20:58 PM »

This is my exact point, USB host functionality is integral to the rise of tablets If Apple keep a ceiling on the development Android are going to eat them alive since they dont have the same dogmatic limitations
Unfortunately its a hardware thing so even jailbreaking it wont help :(

I love the way iOS do alot of things but other than the nice screen an ipad essentially does nothing more than my iphone can so i see no benefit in having one. although browsing CR is a little tough on the small screen of the phone i'll admit that
APS-H Fanboy

-zero-

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2012, 12:44:54 AM »
You might want to take a look at the asus Eee pad transformer prime (preferably with the keyboard dock) you get full usb functionality, the correct (debatable) aspect ratio for viewing multimedia content and an 18h battery life with the keyboard dock

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2012, 12:44:54 AM »