October 01, 2014, 04:37:12 AM

Author Topic: 5D MkIII instructions - Rant !!  (Read 11029 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: 5D MkIII instructions - Rant !!
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 12:45:48 PM »
Manuals cover all users, not just the ones who have owned DSLR's before. 

However, for advanced topics, you have to look elsewhere.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 12:45:48 PM »

D_Rochat

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 12:47:29 PM »
Unfortunately, not everyone is born with the gift of common sense. I watched a well educated man load his rifle and proceed to look down the barrel. Why he felt compelled to do something like that, I'll never know. Point is, he had to be told not to do that anymore because it wasn't obvious enough.

aZhu

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 12:57:12 PM »
Common sense is not so common...

You'd be surprised at how many people out there really don't know how to do certain things... it's sad and frustrating but true.

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 01:06:02 PM »
You are too critical.  I have written instructions for computer software and handled the tech support calls (my own product).  You'd be surprised.  What is obvious to you is not obvious to others, particularly if they did not design the product.

I'm in the software world myself, and it's so true. Users can be some of the most obtuse people on the planet. Especially when they lie to you and tell you they did what you just told them...but didn't actually do it. Fortunately I don't have to deal with users directly much anymore, except for running my family's tech support line. But at least they don't lie to me about what they did or did not do.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

drpeej

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 07:47:55 AM »
How many people would expect it to continue working after it's switched off?

My 5D Mk3 has just refused to switch off even if I follow the instructions  ;)

I had to take the battery out

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 07:56:48 AM »
They probably have to have a lot of that stuff for legal reasons too. Was there not a story in America where a manufacturer got sued when the owner got up out of the drivers seat to make a coffee or something and it crashed, wasn't in the owners manual that you couldn't do this!  :o ;D

Jay Khaos

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 09:02:15 AM »

who cares?
some have more then enough money to buy a 5D MK3 but never touched a DSLR camera.

well i guess you just love to complain.

no manual = bad... manual = bad.... S___ i guess the world is a ugly place for some people.

Health & safety are incredibly important issues for photographers, cabling & electrics in studios are risks to be aware of, and outdoors there are far too many Utube clips of photographers walking backwards to compose shots, and falling down flights of stairs, or into water features, all things we should all be aware of, but the level of these instructions are frankly insulting.

not canons fault.
fat and dumb americans will sue you for everything.

there is no idea stupid enough (or embarrassing) for a lawsuite in america.

I'm always intrigued by arguments like this (if you can call it one).  Who cares?  Apparently you do.. and your comment is equally as negative and preachy as f*** lol.  At least the OP was fueling a conversation--or entertainment at the least.

Good job on citing those sources to support your bitterness toward americans.  Speak of complaining just to complain..
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 09:22:19 AM by Jay Khaos »
5DIII | 85mm f1.2L • 70-200mm f2.8L IS II • 50mm f1.8 II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 09:02:15 AM »

M.ST

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 09:38:29 AM »
Manuals are made for all customers.

If you are new in photography you get a lot of information to handle the camera.

If you are a pro you don´t need the manual or need it only for some custom functions.

Boyer U. Klum-Cey

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 10:41:33 AM »
User manuals in America are required by law to pass the "my wife" test.  There is a reason we call them "users"!
All theories are wrong, but some are useful, eh?

crasher8

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »
Wait, let's go over this again. I turn the camera on, press the shutter button and it takes a picture. Ok thanks.

I'll try it.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2012, 10:51:55 AM »
Wait, let's go over this again. I turn the camera on, press the shutter button and it takes a picture. Ok thanks.
I'll try it.

You didn't put in a memory card and attach a lens as instructed on p.16.  Therefore, no picture will be taken.  RTFM, dammit!

:P
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 10:55:59 AM »
<snip>

Sorry for the rant, but this is supposed to be a 'high performance' professional digital camera, it just insults the intelligence of users to tell us these things, and wastes our time having to plough through them.

Well, a lot of that 'warning' stuff, is caused by our overly litigous society....much akin to the feeling I get when I see warning tags on blowdriers to not use them in the bathtub, or the sign on the Coke machine that says "Warning do not tip over, machine can fall on your and kill you"...with a little illustrated Darwin Award scene if a soon to be squashed stick figure...

However, on some of the things...well, there's reason for it to be there.

Myself, the 5D3 was my first DSLR camera ever. Till I held it in my hands, I'd never picked one up, never changed a lens.

Many decades ago, I had an old Nikon 35mm camera, but hadn't touched that in decades.

So, while the order was coming, I read through the manual online..and again when I opened the box and put it together.

Yes, some of it is a bit childish even for a 100% noob, you'd think common sense would prevail, but if you've ever worked in a job facing the General Public, then you'll know that the majority of them out there are blithering idiots.

I know that sounds elitist...but I worked in my youth as a busboy, a waiter, a bartender, I sold retail (clothes, shoes, etc), and most anyone that has spent time in a public facing job will usually tell you the same I have.

So, yes...ALL instructions are going to be dumbed down. And yet....tech support will still get calls.
Heck, I think the reason computer manufacturers are trying to get rid of optical drives, is to just finally get people to quit calling in asking about the built in coffee holders...

;)

« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 11:00:05 AM by cayenne »

EvilTed

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 11:11:25 AM »
Have you ever looked at your cars manual?

ET

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 11:11:25 AM »

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2012, 11:35:45 AM »
Please forgive this rant but there are times when I find instruction manuals so annoying!
You know what? I could have included all of your comments in this quote because they reflect my thoughts as I read the 5D3 manual. I took two days to read the manual (time constraints...). I head the documentation department for the company I work in. The exact words I told my boss and the documentation team were: "The Canon 5D III manual looks like we wrote it"!!!!

It is amazing how one can be lost in the "I need to explain what happens when I use this option" rather than why and where the F^@* would I use this function...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 11:40:08 AM »
It is amazing how one can be lost in the "I need to explain what happens when I use this option" rather than why and where the F^@* would I use this function...

Should documentation for a cell phone tell you who to call, and when?  Is it Canon's job to teach us how to use the camera itself, or to teach us how to take good pictures?  The why and where seem much more aligned with the latter, and I'd argue that's out of scope for a manual. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 11:40:08 AM »