November 23, 2014, 11:15:48 AM

Author Topic: Video of 5D Mark III shutter sounds in all modes (and also 5D2 for comparison)  (Read 4677 times)

unten44

Here’s a quick recording of the different shutter sounds from the new Canon 5D Mark III camera.  The sounds are coming from a 5D3 with a 50mm f/1.4 lens.  There’s also an older 5D Mark II at the end of the video for comparison.  The recording was captured on a 5D Mark II with a Rode SVM microphone.

The various modes are: Single Shooting, High Speed Continuous, Low Speed Continuous, Silent Single Shooting, and Silent Continuous Shooting.

http://unten.co/2012/03/21/canon-5d-mark-iii-shutter-sounds-various-modes/

canon rumors FORUM

Macadameane

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Meh, the audio was very directed.  I think it is too hard to tell the difference in the video.  I've read that there is a nice distinctive difference though.

rlarsen

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
While listening to high-speed continuous I'm wondering what shutter speed was selected.

unten44

While listening to high-speed continuous I'm wondering what shutter speed was selected.

It was 1/40.  I'll throw up a new video later at different speeds.  Any requests for speeds and lenses?  1/200, 1/1000, 1/2000 on a 50mm, 70-200mm maybe?

Stephen Melvin

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Definitely want a higher shutter speed. It sounds very slow at 1/40. Make sure the audio is manually set, so it's not automatically changing the levels. Magic Lantern may be necessary.

donjensen

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
I have seen several videos now - Am I the only one who thinks the MarkII sounds better?

donjensen

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile

canon rumors FORUM

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
I have seen several videos now - Am I the only one who thinks the MarkII sounds better?
nope i agree with you 5d mk2 sounds more beastly,the mk3 silent mode would be perfect for wedding ceremonies etc

BenjaminKing

Does anyone know what is actually happening with the "Silent" shutter?  Is there a physical difference in the actions?  Why would you not want it to always be in silent mode?

tt

Don't forget also Mirror Locked up  shooting.

In person, it's an appreciably quieter sound for the silent shooting mode.

In shooting silent - near unlimitless shooting - the buffer doesn't really fill up.
In high speed normal shooting - you can rattle a dozen or so shots off.

Using a 600x CF card made a difference in comparison to a 95MB/s SDHC card - the high speed CF card does replenish the buffer faster - once the camera's hit buffering it'll let you take 1-2 more shots then pause and repeat quicker.

alipaulphotography

Does anyone know what is actually happening with the "Silent" shutter?  Is there a physical difference in the actions?  Why would you not want it to always be in silent mode?

Any disadvantage to using silent shutter? Affect shutter life or anything? I'd probably use it permanently as I always have my camera in single shot mode.

johnnyblues

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
To me, it sounds awfully like the 7D shutter... personally like the 5dm2 sound better.

unten44

Definitely want a higher shutter speed. It sounds very slow at 1/40. Make sure the audio is manually set, so it's not automatically changing the levels. Magic Lantern may be necessary.

Okay, just made another quick video on my lunch break.   :)

Video at higher shutter speeds (up to 1/8000) with the 5D3 and 28-200mm f/2.8L:

Canon 5D Mark III shutter sounds from 1/60 to 1/8000

canon rumors FORUM

Stephen Melvin

• EOS M2
    • View Profile

Okay, just made another quick video on my lunch break.   :)

Video at higher shutter speeds (up to 1/8000) with the 5D3 and 28-200mm f/2.8L:

Canon 5D Mark III shutter sounds from 1/60 to 1/8000

That's the same video as before. ;)

Question about silent shooting mode: is the shutter release slower in silent shooting, or is it the same speed? Notice any difference in the delay?

unten44

That's the same video as before. ;)

Question about silent shooting mode: is the shutter release slower in silent shooting, or is it the same speed? Notice any difference in the delay?

Oops, I updated the video link.  :)

Yes, the shutter is slower (3fps max) in silent shooting mode.  (expand the shutter section at http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/inside_canon_eos_5d_mark_iii.do for more info)

canon rumors FORUM