December 22, 2014, 03:02:26 AM

Author Topic: Help with choosing my first DSLR?  (Read 3883 times)

ronnieb555

Help with choosing my first DSLR?
« on: April 01, 2012, 01:27:03 PM »
Hi, this is my first post but have been lurking for sometime now and I need some help deciding what to get for my first DSLR?

I have been looking at the 600D, 60D and trying to find out any information about the 650D because I would wait if the specs/etc... are much better over the 600D/60D. I know most people will not like me for this, but, I will probably be using the video mode more than the photo modes but I will still use it for stills, just not as much as video. With regards to that, that is why I have been looking at the 600D and 60D because I think the swivel screen will be a very handy feature for video.

The reason why I have made this thread is because I have found a guy selling a USED 600D with the kit lens and a USED 60D body only. Both are in the £300-400 price bracket with the 600D being cheaper. If I go for the 60D I could still buy a new kit lens but this would make it more expensive than the 600D.

I have e-mailed the guy asking about some more information about the cameras such as shutter count etc... As well as asking about the condition of the cameras. So should I go with either of these, if they have a lowish shutter count and are in good condition or wait for the 650D?

Thanks,
RonnieB555

canon rumors FORUM

Help with choosing my first DSLR?
« on: April 01, 2012, 01:27:03 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Help with choosing my first DSLR?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 01:34:42 PM »
Given your needs, I'd take the 600D over the 60D.  As for the 650D, only you can answer that - do you need something now, or can you wait an indeterminate amount of time for your first dSLR.  Also, the lens makes more of a difference than the body, so a cheaper body makes sense - get a good prime if you can, and you'll also need to budget for a stable tripod and a fluid head.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

ronnieb555

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 01:51:48 PM »
Given your needs, I'd take the 600D over the 60D.  As for the 650D, only you can answer that - do you need something now, or can you wait an indeterminate amount of time for your first dSLR.  Also, the lens makes more of a difference than the body, so a cheaper body makes sense - get a good prime if you can, and you'll also need to budget for a stable tripod and a fluid head.

I could probably wait for maybe another month because I will be going on holiday soon and would want to know how to use it properly and get a feel for it before the holiday.

I was thinking about getting a Canon 50mm 1.8 with which ever I get as well because all the reviews I have seen say its good for the price. I was then gonna save up for a Manfrotto tripod and head combo, dunno which yet but for now I can live with just shooting hand held or get a cheap tripod for now to tide me over until I have enough money.

Also is there anything I should watch out for with buying second hand or is it worth spending the extra money to get a new camera? I have always bought new with any electronics but this seams like a good deal with it being about £150-200 off from a new one.

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 01:56:42 PM »

I could probably wait for maybe another month because I will be going on holiday soon and would want to know how to use it properly and get a feel for it before the holiday.

I was thinking about getting a Canon 50mm 1.8 with which ever I get as well because all the reviews I have seen say its good for the price. I was then gonna save up for a Manfrotto tripod and head combo, dunno which yet but for now I can live with just shooting hand held or get a cheap tripod for now to tide me over until I have enough money.

Also is there anything I should watch out for with buying second hand or is it worth spending the extra money to get a new camera? I have always bought new with any electronics but this seams like a good deal with it being about £150-200 off from a new one.

The 50 f/1.8 is good for the price, but if you can spend a few hundred more then 50 f/1.4 might be worth the upgrade. A lot faster and quieter auto-focus, plus better glass & build quality. But, if you're really trying to save money, definitely go for the 50 f/1.8.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

Tcapp

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Capp Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 01:58:32 PM »

The 50 1.8 is fantastic for the price, but if you are doing mainly video, i would get something with image stabilization. Gives you smoother video for hand-held shooting. Unless you need that narrower DOF that the 50 1.8 gives you. If that kit lens you mentioned has IS, I think that would be your best choice.

*Disclaimer* I don't do a lot of video, I do stills. Take my advice with a tiny grain of salt unless someone else seconds my opinion.  :)
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
http://www.TimothyCapp.com
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

ronnieb555

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 02:03:53 PM »
The 50 1.8 is fantastic for the price, but if you are doing mainly video, i would get something with image stabilization. Gives you smoother video for hand-held shooting. Unless you need that narrower DOF that the 50 1.8 gives you. If that kit lens you mentioned has IS, I think that would be your best choice.

*Disclaimer* I don't do a lot of video, I do stills. Take my advice with a tiny grain of salt unless someone else seconds my opinion.  :)

I would like the 50mm because of the "bokeh" I think its called, where the background is blurry and the subject is in focus. Wouldn't using a tripod make the IS irrelevant anyways?

Tcapp

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 02:18:37 PM »

I would like the 50mm because of the "bokeh" I think its called, where the background is blurry and the subject is in focus. Wouldn't using a tripod make the IS irrelevant anyways?

Yea, your actually supposed to turn the IS off when you put it on a tripod. But will 100% of your work be on a tripod?  If you want the best bokeh for the money, skip the 1.8 and go for the 1.4 like someone mentioned. Its a couple hundred more, but it is well worth it! But if budget is a huge concern, you cant go wrong with the 50 1.8.
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 02:18:37 PM »

ronnieb555

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 02:38:24 PM »
Yea, your actually supposed to turn the IS off when you put it on a tripod. But will 100% of your work be on a tripod?  If you want the best bokeh for the money, skip the 1.8 and go for the 1.4 like someone mentioned. Its a couple hundred more, but it is well worth it! But if budget is a huge concern, you cant go wrong with the 50 1.8.

Not 100% but I have steady hands, also this is to start photography as a hobby not work related or to make it my job so I don't want to have to spend loads of money. This is also another reason as to why I asked about the 60D because I think that it will last longer due to build quality etc.. I don't really want to have to upgrade the body in a year or two, I don't mind buying lenses because they will work on future cameras (unless I get a full frame then I know EF-S lenses wont work).

Tcapp

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 03:12:18 PM »

Not 100% but I have steady hands, also this is to start photography as a hobby not work related or to make it my job so I don't want to have to spend loads of money. This is also another reason as to why I asked about the 60D because I think that it will last longer due to build quality etc.. I don't really want to have to upgrade the body in a year or two, I don't mind buying lenses because they will work on future cameras (unless I get a full frame then I know EF-S lenses wont work).

The 50mm is awesome cause it will work on full frame. :)

ronnieb555

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 03:15:20 PM »
Does anyone else have any input whether to go with the 60D, 600D or wait for the 650D as well as to go new or used?

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 04:18:33 PM »
Does anyone else have any input whether to go with the 60D, 600D or wait for the 650D as well as to go new or used?

Personally I wouldn't want to use anything below the xxd line - at the moment 60d - because it has a top lcd screen and, even more important, the back dial for exposure compensation et cetera. Once you get a bit more advanced, you won't want to miss these because you can  get to the right setting much quicker. You can read about the other differences to the xxxd line elsewhere, ask if you want to know if a specific feature is important.

Only buy a used body if you know how many shutter cycles it's got - the 60d is specified for 100k, and if it breaks just after you bought it you're in for an expensive replacement.

Tcapp

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 09:58:09 PM »

Personally I wouldn't want to use anything below the xxd line - at the moment 60d - because it has a top lcd screen and, even more important, the back dial for exposure compensation et cetera. Once you get a bit more advanced, you won't want to miss these because you can  get to the right setting much quicker. You can read about the other differences to the xxxd line elsewhere, ask if you want to know if a specific feature is important.

Only buy a used body if you know how many shutter cycles it's got - the 60d is specified for 100k, and if it breaks just after you bought it you're in for an expensive replacement.

+1

Very important to check that shutter count, especially on those kind of bodies.

ronnieb555

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 09:05:54 AM »
The seller has contacted me back saying that the cameras are display models and have never actually been used, they are only listed as used because of the box being opened. They also come with all the accessories as well as 12 month canon warranty. What should I do? I don't want to fell like I have wasted money on one of these cameras if the 650D is about to come out and may be a similar price to a new 600D currently and may have much better features?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 09:05:54 AM »

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 09:38:03 AM »
Get the 60D, especially if the price is fairly similar. I posted this in the T4i thread, but it applies here too. For video, you have to try and shoot in multiples of 160 ISO, and the T3i (600D) won't allow you to do that, while the 60D will.

http://www.photographybay.com/2011/05/01/proof-that-multiples-of-iso-160-work-best-on-canon-hdslrs/

Also, it has the top LCD, which becomes something you'll use more in video. And, if you ever have to do hand-held video, you'll get much better results from the 60D, since it feels more natural in your hand. And, for video, you'd either try and go with primes or fixed aperture zooms anyway, so, the kit lens isn't really a deal breaker.

Though, the 50mm f/1.8 is a good lens for its price, it is really tough to manually focus because the focus ring is basically at the front of the lens, and its tiny.

ronnieb555

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 10:19:19 AM »
Get the 60D, especially if the price is fairly similar. I posted this in the T4i thread, but it applies here too. For video, you have to try and shoot in multiples of 160 ISO, and the T3i (600D) won't allow you to do that, while the 60D will.

http://www.photographybay.com/2011/05/01/proof-that-multiples-of-iso-160-work-best-on-canon-hdslrs/

Also, it has the top LCD, which becomes something you'll use more in video. And, if you ever have to do hand-held video, you'll get much better results from the 60D, since it feels more natural in your hand. And, for video, you'd either try and go with primes or fixed aperture zooms anyway, so, the kit lens isn't really a deal breaker.

Though, the 50mm f/1.8 is a good lens for its price, it is really tough to manually focus because the focus ring is basically at the front of the lens, and its tiny.

Yeah I think I will go for the 60D I may try and hold out until NAB I think its called? See if the 650D is announced or any other specs get leaked. Also I managed to back the $50 follow focus on kickstarter so focusing with any lens shouldn't be to bad. Thanks for the help guys.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 10:19:19 AM »