October 24, 2014, 06:07:03 AM

Author Topic: Lighting up a selected 5D AF sensor  (Read 1008 times)

rlarsen

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Lighting up a selected 5D AF sensor
« on: April 07, 2012, 01:09:18 AM »
The solution I've found for lighting up a select 5D AF sensor is to use AI Focus, or One-Shot.
Coming from 1-D MK ll bodies that feature helpful light-up options, I've been concerned by the possible lack of it in the MK lll.

It's great the 9 boxes on the 5D MKll screen are gone because I really prefer a plain screen.

I'm accustomed to using Servo AF, so I'll be curious how AI Focus works for my subjects. I'm trying to take my time to really learn the manual and the camera, as well as the new 1-DX AF guide.

I'm curious to hear from others how AI Focus works for movement and action.

canon rumors FORUM

Lighting up a selected 5D AF sensor
« on: April 07, 2012, 01:09:18 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: Lighting up a selected 5D AF sensor
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 01:08:08 PM »
Its not clear what you are trying to do.

AI Focus merely automatically selects either one shot focus, or AI servo

The 5D MK III focus points do not stay lit like the 1 series, they light for a few seconds when you press the focus grid button and then go out.  They can be set to flash red when focus is achieved in one shot mode.

My focus points are black when selected with the exception of the cases listed above.  They do not light up red and stay on when AI focus is selected.

rlarsen

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 10:31:03 PM »
What some photographers are trying to do, including myself, is duplicate, in the 5D MK lll, the sensible feature found in the 1-D series, and 5D MK ll.  When using my 1-MKll bodies, I am able to benefit from a nice plain screen, use Servo AF, and in dark conditions see my selected AF sensor briefly light up. A very useful feature.
I don't want a viewfinder filled with dozens of lit up AF sensors to see what I'm focusing on.

The 5D MK 11 has the helpful feature, but I never liked having 9 little boxes always on the focusing screen.
I'll test AI Focus to find out how well it performs for sports and active subjects.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 10:31:03 PM »