September 22, 2014, 12:23:35 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Product Advisory  (Read 34624 times)

Jason Beiko

Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Product Advisory
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2012, 09:16:17 AM »
I wonder how much recent events will affect sales of the Mark III?  Based on many recent internet reviews, I think new buyers looking to purchase a FF DSLR would be heavily leaning towards Nikon.  The success and reviews of the D800 and the light leak issue might sway new users to Nikon. 

However, I don't think many Canon users who are heavily invested with lenses and other equipment are going to switch.  I suppose the other aspect to consider is just how many initiate DSLR owners are going to jump right into a pro DLSR? So maybe these recent events won't matter WRT to sales. 

For myself I was thinking of upgrading my Canon 7D to a Mark III but now I am going to hold off and see where things are going.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 09:26:24 AM by Jason Beiko »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2012, 09:16:17 AM »

Etienne

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2012, 09:59:47 AM »
I use the top LCD all the time.  When it's dark I tend to use it over the back screen, the main reason is that it's easier to see, and if your camera is low down you can just look straight down instead of getting on your knees.

Don't understand all the anger about canon fixing this.  It's a problem that affects a lot of people, and just because it doesn't affect you it doesn't mean that you have to get mad at the people it does affect.

+1

Exactly. One member posted an angry post at me recently, simply because I suggested that the camera should not under-expose.

It's a camera, ... a tool ... and it should work properly, especially at $3500.
I am reassured that Canon is responding quickly.

I still intend to get a 5D3, but I'm waiting until they get all the little bugs ironed out.

mrmarks

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2012, 10:08:09 AM »
This is a physical leak, therefore a hardware fix will be necessary. I think Canon will need two to three months to finalize and make available the hardware modifications and parts.

epiem

« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2012, 10:57:20 AM »
I'm so glad I haven't wasted the money on these yet.

$3500 and now a possible recall.

GTFO Canon

swrightgfx

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2012, 11:51:20 AM »
Hi all,

This is my first post here (yes, I do expect an official welcome).

I recently acquired a 5D Mark III. Great camera; loving it. I do, however, have the described "issue."

Like almost everyone here, I too originally scoffed at the idea this could be fixed in firmware, but then I got thinking and some questions came up: is the LCD button independent of and thus mechanical, or does it communicate with the software? If the latter, is the issue uniform - that is, does the metering deviate to the same degree on each affected camera? If this is the case, could not firmware tell the camera to compensate the metering for the false readings?

I purchased from Hong Kong but am based in Australia, so would hate to have to lose the use of my camera while it carts around the world to make use of the local-only warranty.

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2012, 11:56:31 AM »
I wonder how much recent events will affect sales of the Mark III?  Based on many recent internet reviews, I think new buyers looking to purchase a FF DSLR would be heavily leaning towards Nikon.  The success and reviews of the D800 and the light leak issue might sway new users to Nikon. 

Well, the D800 gets stuck at times apparently. Is this better or worse than this light leak?

javier

« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2012, 12:12:45 PM »
Hi all,

This is my first post here (yes, I do expect an official welcome).

I recently acquired a 5D Mark III. Great camera; loving it. I do, however, have the described "issue."

Like almost everyone here, I too originally scoffed at the idea this could be fixed in firmware, but then I got thinking and some questions came up: is the LCD button independent of and thus mechanical, or does it communicate with the software? If the latter, is the issue uniform - that is, does the metering deviate to the same degree on each affected camera? If this is the case, could not firmware tell the camera to compensate the metering for the false readings?

I purchased from Hong Kong but am based in Australia, so would hate to have to lose the use of my camera while it carts around the world to make use of the local-only warranty.

This reminds me iPhone 4 antenna.....

The light leak is a hardware problem so how you fix a hardware problem with a software update?
Like I said before the problem is the AE Sensor is getting too much light through LCD, View finder and lens. when you adjust your meter you are adjusting the meter with all that amount of light.
At the moment the camera take the picture just take the picture with the light coming through the lens and that is why the picture is underexpose.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2012, 12:12:45 PM »

swrightgfx

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2012, 12:13:49 PM »

is the LCD button independent of and thus mechanical, or does it communicate with the software?

The camera obviously communicates to the LCD; it should be noted that I am not suggesting the LCD speaks back, but whether the button that initiates the backlight is activated mechanically or via the camera's software.

swrightgfx

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2012, 12:16:18 PM »
Yes, I know that, but if the camera KNOWS the backlight is on, then, assuming the defect is relatively uniform in its effect on exposure, it may be possible for the camera to compensate.

EDIT: eg. "When light = on, increase exposure by x."
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 12:23:07 PM by swrightgfx »

Mcarlsen

« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2012, 12:18:52 PM »
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/04/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-service-advisory/"></g:plusone></div><div id="fb_share_1" style="float: right; margin: 0 0px 0 10px;"><a name="fb_share" type="box_count" share_url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/04/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-service-advisory/" href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php">Share</a></div><div><script src="http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/connect.php/js/FB.Share" type="text/javascript"></script></div><div class="tweetmeme_button" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px; margin-bottom: 70px;"><a class="tm_button" rel="&style=normal&b=2" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/04/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-service-advisory/"></a></div>
<strong>To Users of the Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera<br />

</strong>Thank you for using Canon products.</p>
<p>The phenomenon described below has been confirmed when using the Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera.</p>
<p>Canon is now examining the countermeasures and once the countermeasures are decided, we will post the information on our Web site.</p>
<p><strong>Phenomenon<br />

</strong>In extremely dark environments, if the LCD panel illuminates, the displayed exposure value may change as a result of the AE sensor’s detection of light from the LCD panel.</p>
<p><strong>Affected Product<br />

</strong>Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera</p>
<p><strong>Support<br />

</strong>Once the preparations are complete, we will be making an announcement on our Web site.</p>
<p>This information is for residents of the United States and Puerto Rico only. If you do not reside in the USA or Puerto Rico, please contact the Canon Customer Support Center in your region.</p>
<p>Please <a href="http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/registration/professional/professional_cameras/digital_slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii" target="_blank">register the EOS 5D Mark III</a>. By registering, we will be able to notify you via email when service updates are available. If you already registered, please ensure you are opted-in to receive the notification.</p>
<p><strong>Source: [<a href="http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e02480538fc7" target="_blank">CUSA</a>]</strong></p>
<p><em>thanks Ken</em></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>
<p><strong>

</strong></p>

Such is what happens when a company releases 6 new cameras in 6 months... They are scrambling to figure out what the right thing to do is... I love my 5DMKii... But canon has completely disappointed me with their latest "Releases" which are nothing to write home about... All lacking something.. Instead of just bringing about ONE camera that does it right... They bring 6 that does it all wrong...

All beta cameras BTW... That is what happens when you're scrambling ;-)

llcanon

« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2012, 01:34:37 PM »
First, I'd like to understand the basis of the claim that the light leak would cause under exposure. I've heard this many times and it just does not make sense to me. Theoretically, the meter should only measure the light through the lens to give the "correct" exposure for the image in the frame. In reality, the light also "leaks" through the viewfinder and, in the case of 5D III, the top LCD panel as well. My guess is the light leaking through the LCD Is far less than through the viewfinder. I don't think you will get underexposed image if you don't put the viewfinder cover on.

Secondly, leaking LCD is very disappointing. That just reflects the deterioration of Canon's workmanship or quality control. For those who understand how Canon's cameras were put together, can you please shed some light on what type of "countermeasures" would be deployed to fix the issue? I think it would require significant work to get to the part between the LCD and the sensor. I am just not 100% confident about the skills of the technicians at the Canon service center. I suggest that if the issue does not bother you, just go out and take more photos. If it does, return it now and wait for a few months to get a new one.

Eoseoseoseoseos
5DIII, x0D, 1v, 16-35 L, 28-70 L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 50 1.4, 100 2.8L IS.

esi32

« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2012, 01:57:37 PM »
Yes, I know that, but if the camera KNOWS the backlight is on, then, assuming the defect is relatively uniform in its effect on exposure, it may be possible for the camera to compensate.

EDIT: eg. "When light = on, increase exposure by x."

That's not a workable fix, the problem isn't with the backlight—even though that's what everybody seems to be fixated on. Any sufficiently bright (compared to what the lens sees) light incident on the top LCD will alter the meter reading, and the brighter the light the more the reading is altered. Shine a really bright flashlight on the top LCD and you can alter the meter reading even in relatively bright environments (then again my 1D3 does this only to a much smaller degree).

Only a hardware fix will actually address the problem in any meaningful way.

esi32

« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2012, 02:25:00 PM »
First, I'd like to understand the basis of the claim that the light leak would cause under exposure. I've heard this many times and it just does not make sense to me. Theoretically, the meter should only measure the light through the lens to give the "correct" exposure for the image in the frame. In reality, the light also "leaks" through the viewfinder and, in the case of 5D III, the top LCD panel as well. My guess is the light leaking through the LCD Is far less than through the viewfinder. I don't think you will get underexposed image if you don't put the viewfinder cover on.

Yes, the light leaking though the LCD can be far smaller than what leaks though the viewfinder. It can also be sufficient to be a source of error if everything is sufficiently dark. For example, the case of a relatively well sealed viewfinder against your eye v. a spotlight shining on you and the camera but not in the lens.

The second part however, largely depends on how bright everything is relatively speaking. If I'm shooting a dimly lit subject from an even dimmer area I don't necessarily have to block the viewfinder, and the backlight will still cause a metering error. Actually, at least according to my testings, so long as the whole environment is dimmer than about EV1 turning on the backlight will alter the meter reading regardless of whether you have lens caps or viewfinder blocked.

A lot of the problem here, IMO, is that there has been lots of "cursory testing", gnashing of teeth, and complaining about how the camera is broken, without understanding either the design limits of the camera or doing any serious controlled testing inside and out of those limits. For example, the original Canon Rumors test with the lens caps on is so far outside the designed limits of the metering system as to be utterly useless in speaking to anything other than to show that there is in fact some light leaking from the LCD/LCD backlight to the meter.

I've conducted more controlled tests, at least to the best of my ability though even I admit that they aren't done to my fullest satisfaction (largely because I don't have sufficient equipment to do so), and they seem to indicate that the meter functions properly inside the designed range (1-20EV) unless you shine considerably brighter light on the top LCD than the lens or viewfinder can observe.

In practice, the situations where you're both operating inside the stated specifications of the meter (1-20EV) and doing something that would put a sufficiently bright light on the top LCD are vanishingly small. Even the assertion that this defect affects astrophotographers and nighttime landscape shooters, runs into problems when in all likelihood what they're metering is already outside the camera's design limits to start with, where they're no guarantee of function anyway. Which is why I keep saying that there is the distinct possibility that Canon will decide that no mitigating action needs to be taken and that the problem only occurs outside the designed limits of the camera. I sincerely hope they don't, since the fix is probably a bit of black tape somewhere, but it's a possibility that can't be ignored.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2012, 02:25:00 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2012, 03:44:58 PM »
AND When Will they address the issues:

1) AF points illuminations- Hard to see in daylight
2) problem of IS noise for Canon 200L and 800L
3) Pocketwizard sync speed wont go higher than 1/200....... (killed hypersync.. but im not too sure if this is canon problem)

Yeah stuff like that and missing zebra strips and 1.6x 2x2 samples 1920x1080 cropped video mode sure seem a lot more important to me.

fotoray

• EOS M2
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2012, 03:49:08 PM »
This kind of pisses me off. Not because I feel like I got a defective camera or that I even think this issue would really affect me. I'm pissed off because I will now have to decide if I want to be without my camera while it is getting an updated LCD cover or if I want to ignore the recall and deal with whatever the consequences of that are...

Choices, oh choices....  at least you have this choice
5D Mk III | 7D | 20D | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 17-85 | EF 17-40 f/4L | EF 24-105 f/4L | EF 70-300 DO | EF-S 60 macro | EF 100L macro | 580EX II | RRS Series 2 tripod | plus many gadgets |

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2012, 03:49:08 PM »