October 20, 2014, 06:15:42 PM

Author Topic: What will be the response to the D3200?  (Read 9584 times)

Halfrack

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: What will be the response to the D3200?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 01:19:36 PM »
Canon will do what Canon has always done - let Nikon do their thing, and shortly there after, release something that crushes Nikon's hopes and dreams.  I've always wanted Bluetooth on my dSLR - remote trigger or time laps, or even better, use bluetooth for the monitor headset for video - maybe this nub will be outclassed by having it built-in..

A 7DmkII would be great,
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 01:19:36 PM »

RuneL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 01:19:57 PM »
Canon has nothing to worry about. Canon is still pWning Nikon at cameras and market share.

Exactly.

The attachment rather surprised me, that the 5D II is that popular. And I doubt that regular people buy what DxO-mark says is best or even think about megapickles, they'll buy whater their cousin or photographer friend has or what they reccomend. And that will probably be a Canon.

But I'd like to see a high megapickle option from canon SOONER rather than later. I need more pixels but not bothered switching to Nikon or have the cash for a MF.

birdman

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 02:05:22 PM »
Who really uses DX cameras for there critical shots? What pros are DX users?

Not one I can think of. FF 35mm or above is all I care about anymore.
5d2; 17-40L; 35L; 50/1.8 Mk. 1; 70-300 IS; 100mm/2.8

Wiki Tango

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 03:06:02 PM »
 :o I did not know that some day I'd post a link to NikonUSA...

it's not just a rumour... it's here:
http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Digital-SLR-Cameras/25492/D3200.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-Overview

$699.95

...so will we see a 1200D or a 2000D or even an EVIL 'Eosette' or Canonette at Photokina?
Or a 650D with a 22MP APS-C? [hopefully not!]
MY GF's PC (Core2Duo) has problems to process the 18MP RAWs of the 600D... so 24MP?! For beginners?? SRSLY???
5D3 | 7D gripped | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF-S 60mm 2.8 | EF 85mm 1.8 | To 12-24 4.0 | EF 24-105mm L | EF 70-300mm IS | 430 + 580 II and more stuff &

...probably more Polaroid cameras than you ;-)

SpareImp

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 03:33:17 PM »
Many buy Canon for the video mode. Has Nikon caught up with this yet? If not, Canon just needs to introduce a head phone jack in their entry level bodies to keep it fresh. That would sell a T4i over a T3i in some cases. There’s also digic 5, which should give lower noise at high ISO-values, as well as reduce some problems related to video.

I think Canon will respond with a great camera that was already planned anyway.

CanonCameraFan

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 05:29:34 PM »
In the past, Canon has been offering a similar body and features (they won't offer 24mp), but at a lower price.  That is what entry level buyers go for, they use the green box setting in most cases anyway, so fancy specifications are ignored.

With Canon's recent higher than Nikon priced entries, I'm wondering if they will still be undercutting Nikon prices.  If they don't, business will flow the other way.

Too right - the new Nikon appears to be a higher mp version of the 550D. Disagree that entry level users are all green boxers though. The reason I use a 550D is that it fits my budget. I don't sell my images (and don't particularly want to) so I don't make the money to continually upgrade. I shoot in Av mode, programmed auto, or manual and in RAW. I also use Magic Lantern as a cheaper way of accessing high end features. Sure there are plenty of green boxers but there are as many who are not and plenty of lower end DSLR users in the ML community. Everyone has to start somewhere...

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 07:37:54 PM »
In the past, Canon has been offering a similar body and features (they won't offer 24mp), but at a lower price.  That is what entry level buyers go for, they use the green box setting in most cases anyway, so fancy specifications are ignored.

With Canon's recent higher than Nikon priced entries, I'm wondering if they will still be undercutting Nikon prices.  If they don't, business will flow the other way.

Too right - the new Nikon appears to be a higher mp version of the 550D. Disagree that entry level users are all green boxers though. The reason I use a 550D is that it fits my budget.

Indeed, there are users like you that buy a camera and know what they are doing. 

Just hang asround a big box store like Best Buy, where the major quantities of these are sold and listen to customer after customer asking the best buy camera expert what they need to upgrade from their point and shoot, and then going for the lowest price, or going for the name.

I shop a lot at Costco and see the same thing, buyers want one of those cool looking pro models and their images will magically become better :)   

I've bought several from people who did this.  They tried their new camera a couple of times and noted the out of focus results (due to depth of field), and put their new DSLR back in the closet and kept on with the point and shoot that gave then sharp images.  Then after a year or two they sell it for a big loss.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 07:37:54 PM »

ScottyP

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 09:47:34 PM »
I mentioned in the 5DIII DxO freak out thread, but Canon has a big time marketing problem on their hands. Particularly on the low end, competing against the D3200. Unless Canon pulls a rabbit out of a hat, people looking at their first DSLR are going to see Nikon 24MP > Canon 18MP, Nikon DxO results > Canon DxO results (regardless of the stock you put in the scores, many people will be influenced by this)... and then finally, price. We don't know what a T3i successor will cost. But at $699 MSRP Nikon is offering a pretty remarkable value.

Nikon brought the house this round. Hopefully Canon responds similarly.
Yes.  Tough row to hoe in percieved value (24 doo-hickeys is more than 18) and bargain/price value. Unlike those of us who have already bought into Canon equipment (and who indeed frequent websites about Canon products and rumors of Canon products), new/uncommitted buyers will not make the mental effort to ignore megapixels as we might. 
But hey, hearty competition is exactly what we want, right?  Better products and pricing from Canon should be the result, yes?
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 09:53:43 PM »
Canon's response will be a 25 megapixel Rebel ;D

esi32

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2012, 10:42:33 PM »
Canon has nothing to worry about. Canon is still pWning Nikon at cameras and market share.

And copiers and printers..... can't forget the copiers and printers.. :P ;D

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2012, 10:54:06 PM »
I've bought several from people who did this.  They tried their new camera a couple of times and noted the out of focus results (due to depth of field), and put their new DSLR back in the closet and kept on with the point and shoot that gave then sharp images.  Then after a year or two they sell it for a big loss.

Gad! I LOVE those people! :-*
Best way to buy semi-pro gear is 2nd-hand from frustrated wannabes.

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2012, 10:55:33 PM »
And copiers and printers..... can't forget the copiers and printers.. :P ;D

Nikon has their branded eyeglass lenses.

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2012, 12:27:50 AM »

Gad! I LOVE those people! :-*
Best way to buy semi-pro gear is 2nd-hand from frustrated wannabes.

Yeppers. I got a killer deal on my 5D this way. The thing had only amassed a couple thousand clicks in two years of use from the former owner.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2012, 12:27:50 AM »

D_Rochat

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2012, 12:38:49 AM »
As we all know, MP's aren't everything in photography.

um.. ok
keep telling yourself that lol.

according to DxO they are more important that people give them credit for
http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57415777-76/how-dxo-labs-tests-hot-cameras-like-canons-latest-slr/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=title

That's right. They said mp are more important than people give them credit for, not "mp are the end all and be all of photography". So Bennymiata's statement was correct before you decided to add a condescending reply to his post.

Welcome to the forum!

isken

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2012, 02:51:26 AM »
Free red spray paint... :P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2012, 02:51:26 AM »