December 25, 2014, 09:58:45 AM

Author Topic: DxOMark scores for 5DMkIII out - total score 81, 5DMkII had 79  (Read 61433 times)

xthebillx

Re: DxO results out for 5D3
« Reply #180 on: April 19, 2012, 08:46:22 PM »
Yawn.  (NO offense to the OP)

x2.
Get out of the lab & take some pichers o' stuff.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #180 on: April 19, 2012, 08:46:22 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #181 on: April 19, 2012, 08:46:31 PM »

+1

This discussion was had a long time ago, many times over, and everyones positions are obviously still the same. I'm still adamant that the DR at ISO 100 and 200 is not the deciding factor in a camera purchase, and never will be (well, unless its like 2 stops worth...I might bitch and moan then...)

+2

... and the technology used to capture the image is not critical either - the key factor is the image and how easy it is to get the image

dichiaras

Re: DxOMark scores for 5DMkIII out - total score 81, 5DMkII had 79
« Reply #182 on: April 19, 2012, 08:50:27 PM »
Why doesn't this thread appear on the Canon Rumors homepage Forum Discussion list?
It's by far the most viewed and replied thread as of today, and still it's not there: are they censoring it?

briansquibb

« Reply #183 on: April 19, 2012, 09:00:03 PM »

AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Enjoy your banding low DR pile of crap with a sensor from last century + a price tag that's from the next.

The fact that you have not slightest clue how to read DxO mark is your own problem.

2 posts and already abusing a poster - not good

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #184 on: April 19, 2012, 09:01:51 PM »
If Canon would believe d..o score is the main decision factor at buying a new camera, then should offer a free upgrade to the next version as it happens often with the software...
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

briansquibb

« Reply #185 on: April 19, 2012, 09:03:10 PM »
Why doesn't this thread appear on the Canon Rumors homepage Forum Discussion list?
It's by far the most viewed and replied thread as of today, and still it's not there: are they censoring it?

Is this thread that important that it is worth kicking up about because it doesn't get on the homepage?

No - didn't think so

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #186 on: April 19, 2012, 09:04:45 PM »

AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Enjoy your banding low DR pile of crap with a sensor from last century + a price tag that's from the next.

The fact that you have not slightest clue how to read DxO mark is your own problem.

2 posts and already abusing a poster - not good

This is where Karma would be useful...at the moment, we have no tool to combat trolls like this guy.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #186 on: April 19, 2012, 09:04:45 PM »

Jason Beiko

« Reply #187 on: April 19, 2012, 09:13:14 PM »
You know what is a big yawn?  The abundant Canon fan boys on this forum....and yes I am a Canon user.  The results rather clearly show that the newest model Nikons have major and measurable improvemts in many important aspects of camera performance.  Just acknowledge this and move along.  Too many comments try to ignore this by repeating inane statements such as:

1.It's not the camera that takes creative pictures but the photographer.  Really? captain of the obvious.....
2. DXO is biased in favour of Nikon. Really?  Well than how come so many other brands and formats are rated so highly?

For a forum that has a very technological viewpoint, I find it strange that so many people want to "defend" their brand in the face of objective evidence.  Just evaluate and acknowledge the results without the fanboyism.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 09:29:32 PM by Jason Beiko »

briansquibb

« Reply #188 on: April 19, 2012, 09:16:58 PM »
You know what is a big yawn?  The abundant Canon fan boys on this forum....and yes I am a Canon user.  The results rather clearly show that the newest model Nikons have major and measurable improvemts in many important aspects of camera performance.  Just acknowledge this and move along.  Too many comments try to ignore this by repeating inane statements such as:

1.It's not the camera that takes creative pictures but the photographer.  Really? captain of the obvious.....
2. DXO is biased in favour of Nikon. Really?  Well than how come so many other brands and formats are rated so highly?

For a forum that as a very technological viewpoint I find it strange so many people want to "defend" their brand in the face of objective evidence.  Just evaluate and acknowledge the results without the fanboyism.

What is being said is that the DxO results do not reflect the real world images produced by the cameras tested.

So if the numbers are unreliable then so are the conculsions.

Nothing about being a fanboy

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #189 on: April 19, 2012, 09:20:44 PM »
well it turns out that DxO matches virtually exactly my (and a number of others) predictions from weeks and weeks ago  ;D:

Can I have your autograph? When there are people like you out there who can predict DxO's results before DxO even has a chance to test a camera, why don't they just hire you and save themselves a bunch of money :)?

All kidding aside, I think most people that are unfortunate enough to be aware of DxO's existence very much expected the D800 to trounce the 5DIII. It is the king of lab tests. Case closed.

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 19, 2012, 09:23:36 PM »
The more you stoke the fire, the bigger it gets. ;)
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #191 on: April 19, 2012, 09:26:43 PM »

For a forum that as a very technological viewpoint I find it strange so many people want to "defend" their brand in the face of objective evidence.  Just evaluate and acknowledge the results without the fanboyism.

What is being said is that the DxO results do not reflect the real world images produced by the cameras tested.

So if the numbers are unreliable then so are the conculsions.

Nothing about being a fanboy
+1
My images aren't about lab scores or fanboyism
Kudos to the D800, I'm really happy for those who will use it to its potential and who own Nikon, what do i care about their Dxo score? No one is saying the d800 isn't a great camera we are just saying we don't need the scores to prove to us our images look fantastic so theres no grounds for lament that the D800 scored higher. Or the obvious one, no grounds to switch to Nikon.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #192 on: April 19, 2012, 09:41:18 PM »
You know what is a big yawn?  The abundant Canon fan boys on this forum....and yes I am a Canon user.  The results rather clearly show that the newest model Nikons have major and measurable improvemts in many important aspects of camera performance.

Sure, there are improvements. I don't think anyone is denying that. I'd say DxO measures ONLY IQ performance, though. IQ is an aspect of camera performance overall, but most definitely not the only factor. DxO numbers do not take other aspects into account, and depending on what you shoot, many of those other factors may be more important than raw IQ numbers. Ergonomics, frame rate, AF performance, etc. are all still very important factors.

Just acknowledge this and move along.

I think some people dispute the accuracy of DxO's results when they claim that the D800 is capable of more dynamic range than the hardware is rated for. I believe most of us here clearly acknowledge that the D800 is an amazing camera, and it does offer better DR and higher resolution. But there are things that many of us just can't accept. To claim a normalized image has 14.4 EV's, when the ADC's are 14 bit (which would limit the maximum physical DR the camera is capable of achieving to 14.0 EV's absolute) brings up questions about the validity and applicability of DxO's results. I am NOT denying they have a better sensor...Sony Exmor sensors are amazing pieces of technology and have certainly pushed full-frame DSLR's into new territory with a high DR 36.3mp sensor.

That said, DxO's screen DR numbers still show that the D800 wins on the low-ISO DR front. It still gets 13.2 EV of native hardware DR. I have no interest in disputing that. Sony and Nikon made some brilliant moves with better technology, and they deserve to take the win! I still have a problem with DxO claiming that the D800 achieves "14.4 EV" in their Landscape category, and I always will. Its bogus. Its misleading trickery, and it doesn't do anyone any benefit to let a potential D800 customer think they can actually shoot a scene with 14.4 EV of dynamic range in a single shot with the D800 and actually be able to use all of the data. Its simply not true. I have a real problem with people, particularly people like LTRLI, trying to shove what seems to be a *bogus* detail down my throat on a regular basis. I'm sorry, but downscaling is not a mystical tool that will magically fabricate additional DR. If you blow the highlights in-camera, no amount of downscaling or upscaling or scaling in any other form is going to RECOVER pixels that reached maximum saturation and then-some. I think such facts need to be disputed, not really for the good of Canon shooters (where generally all sticking with Canon gear)...but more for the good of potential camera buyers. I don't think it is physically possible for the D800 to capture more than 13.2 stops of DR when you account for physical hardware nuances, implementation details and overhead, however since DxO has claimed it is capable of 14.4 stops, they are misleading many potential Nikon users. Thats not a positive outcome, despite the fact that it has no effect on me whatsoever.

The real problem though, is if DxO is wrong about that, even if their method of deriving that number is consistent...what else could they be wrong about? If DxO can interpret "normalized DR" numbers such that they indicate a camera is supposedly capable of more than the hardware would allow, what else might they be wrong about? They certainly seemed to miss the ball on the 5D III low ISO performance...between DxO's own SNR and high ISO DR scores for the 5D III, I'd have figured it would win that category. What about their scores for medium format cameras, which are all pretty much LIMITED to lower ISO settings...some top out at ISO 800. I doubt anyone who has actually seen photographs, on screen or in print, from a medium format camera, would dispute that they are far superior to anything that comes out of a DSLR, yet many Nikon and even some Canon cameras beat digital MF camera scores from DxO. That indicates a problem with the model, even if the statistics are consistent relative to one another.

Just evaluate and acknowledge the results without the fanboyism.

Certainly! I am evaluating them, however my evaluation results in discrepancies with DxO's final conclusions, and as such, I can't plain and simply "acknowledge" their results. I'm not a fanboy, I'm just a vested customer. Personally, I don't really care much about DxO numbers...they are a factor, but not the primary or most important factor, in the decisions I make. The fact that other people put so much weight on them, though, and seem to acknowledge them at face value WITHOUT any critical evaluation, is curious to me, and I simply can't help but harass when I see just as much fanboyism regarding DxO as you claim Canon photographers here exhibit regarding their gear (the latter of which is more understandable, since it IS the physical piece of gear that actually empowers ones photographic creativity...not a set of numbers from DxO.)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #192 on: April 19, 2012, 09:41:18 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 19, 2012, 09:57:01 PM »

+1

This discussion was had a long time ago, many times over, and everyones positions are obviously still the same. I'm still adamant that the DR at ISO 100 and 200 is not the deciding factor in a camera purchase, and never will be (well, unless its like 2 stops worth...I might bitch and moan then...)

Your position is then still that my results will be way different from DxOs even though they are now shown to be the same?  ;)

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 19, 2012, 10:00:19 PM »
Bottom line:

Its a camera, it takes awesome photos with great IQ (just like the previous generation of all Canon cameras), millions of people will enjoy it and create fantastic artwork with it, millions more people will ENJOY the artwork created with the 5D III, and the world will keep on turning. Whether it beats the competition in a numbers game or not (especially one that seems more and more to be thoroughly biased in favor of a major sponsor and/or against a non-sponsor) is not what matters.

Good points, only if all of you really believed that bottom line talk then why would you need to go crazy any time someone writes something implying some aspect of a Canon sensor is not class-leading?   ;)  You should just be able to see the numbers as they are and not call people names over it and make up twisted truths and move on.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #194 on: April 19, 2012, 10:00:19 PM »