October 23, 2014, 04:47:18 PM

Author Topic: One area the 5D3 beats the D800...  (Read 6129 times)

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: One area the 5D3 beats the D800...
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 03:36:31 PM »
It seems the 5D3 beats the D800 (and the 5D2) in it's anti-aliasing. You'll notice the 5D3 image is just about perfect, the 5D2, D800 and the A900 all show problems, phantom vertical or horizontal lines that seem to cut through the pattern. Red arrows show the problem areas. 

The image is from DPR's RAW image comparisons. It's not quite visible on the D800 at the reduced resolution on this site, however if you download the image you should be able to see it clearer at full size. 

You can also go to DPR's page here and move the selected area to the pinwheel directly below the + in the center of the frame. You can of course compare how other cameras perform against the 5D3 on this same test.

Are you sure it's not something with your browser or graphics card or the downsampled image you posted here?

I don't see any of that at all when I go to the DPR page. And it looks like line skipped downsampling in your sample posted.

Not saying that the 5D3 doesn't do some things better than the D800, it does, color moire-free video and fps at FF just to name two. But I don't see what you point arrows at above.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 03:36:31 PM »

Wrathwilde

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Anarchy Photography
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 03:52:53 PM »
It seems the 5D3 beats the D800 (and the 5D2) in it's anti-aliasing. You'll notice the 5D3 image is just about perfect, the 5D2, D800 and the A900 all show problems, phantom vertical or horizontal lines that seem to cut through the pattern. Red arrows show the problem areas. 

The image is from DPR's RAW image comparisons. It's not quite visible on the D800 at the reduced resolution on this site, however if you download the image you should be able to see it clearer at full size. 

You can also go to DPR's page here and move the selected area to the pinwheel directly below the + in the center of the frame. You can of course compare how other cameras perform against the 5D3 on this same test.

Are you sure it's not something with your browser or graphics card or the downsampled image you posted here?

I don't see any of that at all when I go to the DPR page. And it looks like line skipped downsampling in your sample posted.

Not saying that the 5D3 doesn't do some things better than the D800, it does, color moire-free video and fps at FF just to name two. But I don't see what you point arrows at above.

What type of computer equipment are you viewing it on? I can see it crystal clear on my 27" iMac.

briansquibb

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 05:45:08 PM »
Clearly one of the Canon fanboys trolling on this Nikon appreciation forum  has photoshopped the evidence as it is a fact, proven by DxO, that the D800 is superior to the 5DIII in all respects.

The poor losers have resorted to trickery

;) ;) ;) ;)

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 06:34:56 PM »

What type of computer equipment are you viewing it on? I can see it crystal clear on my 27" iMac.

NEC PA 24" but the monitor shouldn't matter (unless you are not running at it native resolution?), IE9, Windows 7, NVIDIA GTX 570 card

I don't see anything like that at all, and it looks like a line skipping issue, which is not something I've seen any DSLR ever (other than video modes).

They spoke test pattern looks normal for the cameras when I look at it.

I think your setup might have some weird scaling issue. Try a different browser too.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 06:38:35 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

Wrathwilde

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Anarchy Photography
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 09:14:54 PM »
I think your setup might have some weird scaling issue. Try a different browser too.

Ok, tried using Firefox instead of Safari... Much Much less noticeable, barely perceptible instead of in your face... the 5D3 still looks cleanest, but by a much smaller margin.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 11:36:07 PM by Wrathwilde »

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 11:26:15 PM »
No camera beats another camera.

It's not a game.
It's not superman vs spiderman.

It's a tool.
And this tool from Canon or Nikon is more then most of us will ever need.

------
www.wildlife-photos.net
www.sscramble.nl
www.planepix.nl

+1...
+2
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

seta666

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 10:55:26 AM »
Canon wins hands down at light leaking from the top LCD  ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 10:55:26 AM »

Fishnose

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 05:56:33 PM »
Wrathwilde, I just did a really hires inspection, of the originals at the link. Absoluteley no such lines whatsoever. Wearing powerful glasses, with my eyes 5in from the screen, there were no such artefacts at all. Must have to do with your machine, screen, graphics driver or something else.

Actually at this level of pixel-peeping the physical lines and resolution of the monitor became signficant, destroying detail in the images.
But clearly the D800 has a (small) advantage at lower ISOs, the 5D3 a (small) advantage at higher ISOs.

At high ISOs it becomes quite obvious how different the noise looks from these two sensors - much like other Canon and Nikon models before them. The 5D3 has more color noise than D800, but it kicks in higher up the scale.

Lots of other interesting things to see in this test. Really excellent in fact.

What I did see was: 5D3 and D800 are two absolutely EXCEPTIONAL cameras. Just amazing what they can build these days for a decent amount of money. We're into the realm of what's reasonable to expect from technology just below NASA standards.

Slightly different solutions, thinking, logic, handling, appearance etc... but absolutely amazing, both of them.

Only thing I'm missing in the 5D3 is the really high resolution. And maybe the built in flash.
Only thing I'm missing in the D800 is a true silent shutter mode.

As far as I'm concerned - the case is closed.

briansquibb

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 06:00:07 PM »

Only thing I'm missing in the 5D3 is the really high resolution. And maybe the built in flash.

5D MKx have never had a flash - so how can you miss it?

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2012, 07:09:36 PM »

5D MKx have never had a flash - so how can you miss it?

You know what he means.

Anyway, many have had rebels and xxDs and 7Ds before 5 series.

iso79

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2012, 10:36:23 PM »
You're supposed to shoot with the flash off camera anyway for better results.
5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | 17-40mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II | 135mm f/2L

Wideopen

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2012, 10:56:08 PM »
No camera beats another camera.

It's not a game.
It's not superman vs spiderman.

It's a tool.
And this tool from Canon or Nikon is more then most of us will ever need.

------
www.wildlife-photos.net
www.sscramble.nl
www.planepix.nl

+1...
+2
+3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2012, 10:56:08 PM »