September 30, 2014, 08:26:03 PM

Poll

What's your take on the 5d3?

The 5d3 totally owns you and I'll get/got one. If you can't afford it, get a job! (Canon troll option)
74 (40.9%)
The 5d3 is compelete crap and I hate it. That is until it drops to a price I can afford, too. (Nikon troll option)
5 (2.8%)
I will/might get a d800 instead or I'm at least hesitant to buy more Canon until I see how the competiton with Nikon turns out.
23 (12.7%)
I'm a pro and got/will get a 5d3 if the saved time/shots or increased sales justifiy the investment.
22 (12.2%)
I'm an amateur and this price range is not what I'm willing to spend for my hobby.
11 (6.1%)
Money is no issue and thus I'm always getting the best available gear.
7 (3.9%)
I'm so short on money that I'll have to do with what I currently own.
15 (8.3%)
I'm evaluating if buying new lenses or an updated body will result in better shots for me.
10 (5.5%)
I don't care about the 5d3 because I'm happy with my current gear.
14 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 180

Voting closed: April 29, 2012, 08:12:25 PM

Author Topic: The ultimate 5d3 poll - What's your take on the 5d3?  (Read 7997 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
The ultimate 5d3 poll - What's your take on the 5d3?
« on: April 22, 2012, 08:12:25 PM »
The biggest thing for with the markIII is the AF. I shoot with 35L, 50L, 85L and 135L most (usually f/2 or less) and I find myself shooting faster and with fewer shots because the AF is so much more accurate and reliable.

I have to admit I didn't read all this troll-heave 5d3 stuff myself, but I remember one complaint: The af was said to be slow to pick up if all points are selected (like 1sec or so). It might be even Ken Rockwell who wrote this :-p .. is this true, and is it a sign that while the 5d3 has the same af as the 1dx the 5d3 is "under-powered" when it comes to af processing and needs more time to make up its mind than the 1dx will?

@v8beast: I guess there is no real argument about the 5d2's lacking af when it comes to tracking... that's why many people were raving about the 7d until now.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 02:30:17 AM by Marsu42 »

canon rumors FORUM

The ultimate 5d3 poll - What's your take on the 5d3?
« on: April 22, 2012, 08:12:25 PM »

fugu82

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: The ultimate 5d3 poll - What's your take on the 5d3?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 09:50:54 PM »
Moved up from the 40D - big jump. 5D3 is more than I could have hoped for. Best thing? MORE KEEPERS. Less poorly focused + exposed/noisy toss-outs. Sure, it's my lousy technique, most of the time, but this is a forgiving piece of equipment. I will certainly be shooting more.

swrightgfx

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 09:56:02 PM »
Even if only for the AF, it owns.

kbmelb

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 11:40:59 PM »
I'm not sure I understand the poll terms at all. I'm a pro, I own the 5DIII and I am happy with it. I've seen reviews that claim the ISO performance isn't any better than the markII but my unscientific observations are that it is at least a stop better. I'd almost say it's 2 stops due to the appearance of the noise. It doesn't band nearly as bad as the 5DII and what noise is there is not as ugly as the markII. I'd liken the noise pattern more like my 1DsII which I always like better than 5DII. The markIII definitely retains more detail at higher ISOs in my observations and I sure purely RAW. Dynamic range has never been an issue to me, my style of shooting is, if I can't get enough detail in shadows I put up a fill light.

The biggest thing for with the markIII is the AF. I shoot with 35L, 50L, 85L and 135L most (usually f/2 or less) and I find myself shooting faster and with fewer shots because the AF is so much more accurate and reliable.

With that said, with a stationary subject, well lit and properly metered shot (were I don't have to push exp), I could care less which camera I choose. If the markII has the lens I want already mounted to it I'll just grab it instead of taking time to switch lenses/bodies.

Revil0

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 11:48:16 PM »
I'm a pro photographer and love the 5D3. (I only mention that I shoot proffesionaly because my livelihood depends on it) Frankly, I'm tired of hearing all the complaining on these forums. Don't believe the hate... It's a great camera and a big improvement over the 5d2.

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 12:53:18 AM »

True dat. I finally got to put the 5DIII's AF through its paces yesterday, and I walked away impressed to say the least. As you can see, a lot can happen in 1 second :D

Out of this sequence, the first three are tack sharp, the next two are acceptably sharp, and only the last one is unusable. For shots like this, a 50-80% hit rate is unbelievably good. Plus, with pan blurs, the majority of soft images you get are attributable to user error. I'm certain that with more practice and tweaking of the tracking sensitivity, even better results are possible.

With the 5D and 5DII's pathetic 9-point AF, I would have been lucky to get a 10 % hit rate, and as you can probably tell by the images, you'd can't replicate smoky burnouts too many times before the authorities crack down on you ;D When you need to get the hell in, fire off some quick and accurate frames, and get the hell out, the 5DIII is a badass tool for the job.

So yeah, I like mine :)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 12:55:59 AM by V8Beast »

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 02:32:21 AM »
I'm not sure I understand the poll terms at all.

What you describe would be "saved time" by better af, so I tried to include this scenario.

I have to admit I didn't read all this troll-heave 5d3 stuff myself, but I remember one complaint: The af was said to be slow to pick up if all points are selected (like 1sec or so). It might be even Ken Rockwell who wrote this :-p .. is this true, and is it a sign that while the 5d3 has the same af as the 1dx the 5d3 is "under-powered" when it comes to af processing and needs more time to make up its mind than the 1dx will?

@v8beast: I guess there is no real argument about the 5d2's lacking af when it comes to tracking... that's why many people were raving about the 7d until now.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 02:32:21 AM »

Jettatore

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 03:16:17 AM »
My take.  I would like to have one, but cannot justify purchase unless it would make me money, nor could I afford it right now, I haven't got the gigs to support it, but maybe that would change soon and even if it did I don't think I'd be in a mad rush.  It has almost everything I would have liked to see included in it.  Weather sealing, decent FPS, improved ISO/dynamic range or does it (seems very nice so far, need to see more)?  Wished it had 4k or at least a bit larger than 1080p capture for some safe-frame margins for re-framing/cropping editing leeway, etc.  Wished the video looked even better, but to be honest it's more than I'll ever need anytime soon, so is the 5DII and the 7D, etc..  I like the dual card slots a lot, nice to have that in a non-1D sized body, would be a very nice thing to include in the 7DII which is used by some pro's.  Wish it had an extra top or front scrollwheel on the right side.  Wish it had a better video codec/would have really liked to be able to record RAW video even if it required plugging in an external HDD.  I hope it's easily hack-able, if they managed to add even RAW video out as a hack I think that would be amazing enough on it's own, and I hope cool things get done with it.  As it is, it looks like it would save day in and day out pro's a bit of work and ad some welcome functionality/pay for itself and would be worth it the upgrade.  I think in the long run, the camera is going to be well received.  It's not perfect, and I really think Canon could have included the features I listed above and some other's I'm forgetting and kept the price the same, but at the same time I think the forums are over-reacting about the device and often for completely different reasons than I'm listing here, but to each their own. 

I'd buy one if I had more money, but I do think it's priced too highly.  The nice thing about it being priced higher, is that it helped not to crash the price of 5D Mark II's which is nice for those who already own a II and I can't get too upset about the price for that reason alone.  It's nice to not have your expensive equipment not just crash in value overnight more than it has to.  Overall I'd give it a B or a B- and that could improve if the firmware is hacked or improved by Canon to extend extra features.  Oh, one more thing, for the price, I think Canon should have payed for the European/Video camera tax so it could be without limitation for recording length, although to be fair I don't know how much that tax would be, and at least it's better than the 5DII clips (or did I get that wrong?).  I don't like the mode dial lock at all, would like an option to get it with a regular 5DII/7D mode dial, probably not that hard to hack myself but would void warranty if they don't do it.  Nice to see the pretty darn fast FPS for stills included, very welcome feature and with what they did ultimately include, it makes it an even better, pro-viable body in the non-1D size and I like that a lot.

I did ask for the moon, but I didn't quite get it.  This was my original list when someone asked what do we want out of it before it was announced, they got a lot of it right (according to me), and some of my wish list they didn't put in.

"In order.

-Better high ISO performance (1DX esque)
-Awesome Auto-Focus (1DX/7D esque.)
-Solid weatherproofing (at least as much so it can handle getting snowed and showered on a decent bit)
-Improved video capture performance (aka, clean up rolling shutter problems, etc., even further)
-Uncompressed /Raw Video Capture or Clean HDMI out (I don't mind hooking up a separate adapter when shooting video)
-Over resolution, aka. more than 1080p (not necessarily 4k) to allow for re-cropping/panning/zooming/breathing room in editing
-Ability to capture in 60-120fps frame-rates even if it requires using Clean HDMI out and an external capture unit
-Usable auto-focus in video (this is not a pro-video feature, but there are casual times when a reasonably good version of this could come in great handy at barbeques and whatnot.)  And if it is put in, I would also suggest some ability to manually over-ride it/flip it on/off, while still in shot.
-Remove Video Time-Limits (even if a fee has to be paid to digitally unlock it in the regions where that licensing matters)
-Consideration for digital adapter accessory that would allow smooth manual aperture control during shooting. (at the bottom of my list for a reason but it makes more sense than new lenses to me, though for all I know (and I don't) it may require new lenses anyways but it may not, and even still it makes more sense)
-If it's not there already and buried, a recorded measurement that tells the distance of the subject focus point from the camera.  This is useful to approximately calculate the scale of a subject which is in turn helpful in roughly estimating the scale of textures for texture artists in 3D animation projects.

So basically, an amazing, 5DII sizish body with the latest stills improvements and nothing we've come to expect missing, as well as updated generation 2 DSLR video upgrades.  Hit that mark and I'll grab one near launch. "
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 03:47:06 AM by Jettatore »

cdang

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 03:34:26 AM »
To those with the Mark iii and 85L.

Is the AF more accurate / faster wide open ?

NormanBates

• 6D
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 04:11:33 AM »
funny how all the answers are worded so that I either say I love the 5D3, or say I'm stupid  ::)

I had to go with the second one

I would have voted "the D800 is a lot better, and cheaper too, I would consider the 5D3 but only if it falls down to $2700 or less, significantly below the D800 price"

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 04:18:24 AM »
I would have voted "the D800 is a lot better, and cheaper too, I would consider the 5D3 but only if it falls down to $2700 or less, significantly below the D800 price"

... I thought that would have been the "Nikon competition" option? I didn't include a "it's not worth it" option because "worth" is so subjective or related to various different things so it wouldn't have made sense.

The first two options are trollish, but currently how many people choose them. But maybe this reflects the heated discussion about the 5d3.

Terrano

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 04:26:57 AM »
Sorry i do not wish to stir things up but with the launch of the 5D mk3 i am thinking of getting a D800.
Maybe that should have been one of the poll options.
That said i would not mind a 5D mk3 because of the improved focus but it would have to be a lot cheaper ,
and the 5D mk2 is the best digital camera i have ever owned.

http://www.terencehogben.co.za

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 04:34:06 AM »
Sorry i do not wish to stir things up but with the launch of the 5D mk3 i am thinking of getting a D800.

... I've expanded the "Nikon competition" option to explicitly reflect this.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 04:34:06 AM »

Alker

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 04:37:42 AM »
To all.

The D800 is NOT a lot better.
Yes the sensor is better.

But it's not like we fill light 100% and + 5 exposure all the time.

The total package is a lot different.
Use them both and you will see the
difference between the D800 and 5D mark
iii. I can assure you very very close call.

For allround the 5D is better.
Time will tell, but there is more then only the sensor.

And I think it's about time people start taking some pictures instead of
the endless polls, whining, Nikon vs Canon, 500 to expensive,  etc.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 04:42:59 AM by Alker »

TAR

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 06:37:47 AM »
Its really shame that canon did not solve the problem of banding and noise problems, check the images below ..bottom images are from 5d3 and tops images are from D800. this problem present in 7D too..just for the D800 raw headroom i ll buy it. this is a IQ problem they should have solved this in a first place. even for 2700$ , ill not buy.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/5DIII-D800/index_controlled-tests.html

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 06:37:47 AM »