July 31, 2014, 04:31:50 PM

Author Topic: differences in color between Mark ii and Mark iii?  (Read 14194 times)

briansquibb

Re: differences in color between Mark ii and Mark iii?
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2012, 02:18:33 AM »
My 1Ds3 is different to the 5DII as well - much closer to the 5DIII in that the skin tones are much better.

Did you take them on Neutral style or Portrait or ?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2012, 02:18:33 AM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2012, 02:32:47 AM »
Here are two more shots, outdoor. Taken raw and processed in lightroom. Same white balance card was used.

Well if you are comparing in LR then you are as much comparing Adobe's reverse engineering of a color profile for each camera as anything else, not that the color filters might make some have more trouble distinguishing some colors from other and lead it to having to make tint choice, but that wouldn't be such large changes as that although it might make it trickier or easier to get a larger number of colors right at once. But anyway it's hard to say what causes it, most of it might just be with Adobe's choice for each. Flip to differen Adobe profiles for a given cam and it'll shift all over. It's a tricky business especially since things can change with different scene lighting temperature, etc.

Matthew19

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2012, 02:55:24 AM »
I read a post recently where shane hurlbutt was adjusting his Mkii to match each other. Meaning the colors from camera to camera don't exactly line up. He used the wb shift   :http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2010/03/color-correction-put-your-best-foot-forward/

briansquibb

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2012, 03:46:57 AM »
I read a post recently where shane hurlbutt was adjusting his Mkii to match each other. Meaning the colors from camera to camera don't exactly line up. He used the wb shift   :http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2010/03/color-correction-put-your-best-foot-forward/

Many thanks for that post - I have never strayed that way, it could be very interesting

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2012, 03:53:54 AM »
5d3 is way better for color... I always use the ColorChecker Passport to calibrate my colors, and it corrects waay less than with the 5d2.

Buy yourself one of those and this will never be an issue.

To me the first picture looked too green, but I'm colorblind so. (one of the reasons why I use the CC)

But, yeah, as others have said, the 5d3 handles red's much better and overall I find the colors in much less need of correction, although not perfect either.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

briansquibb

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2012, 04:00:13 AM »
But, yeah, as others have said, the 5d3 handles red's much better and overall I find the colors in much less need of correction, although not perfect either.

;D ;D ;D  Better return the 5DIII if it is not perfect  ;D ;D ;D

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2012, 04:09:41 AM »

;D ;D ;D  Better return the 5DIII if it is not perfect  ;D ;D ;D

Lol, yeah, but I guess the "return-line" would be long enough to just wait for the X instead  :P

In all seriousness, get the ColorChecker for proper color, it is the sh!t....
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2012, 04:09:41 AM »

PhilDrinkwater

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2012, 05:29:09 AM »
The problem here is that you're not quite understanding what part of the process of RAW development (I think these were shot RAW?) is down to Adobe and what part of the process is down to Canon. Loads of people don't quite understand and think it's down to the camera :)

Each camera has a profile assigned to it in LR. The way colours are processed is actually down to Adobe (or Phase one etc...) NOT Canon. Canon set the white balance - that's their part of the equation. The WB algorithm has changed between the two cameras, but you say you set the WB using a grey card so that takes that out of the equation. The sensor does make a difference to the profiled colours, but much less than the profile itself.

I calibrate my cameras using a colour checker passport. The LR profile for 5d2 is MASSIVELY out. The LR profile for the 5d3 is MUCH closer to real. So, it's the 5d2 profile which is wrong and the 5d3 profile which is right.

However, you like the look of the 5d2 profile.

If you want to get the same result as the previous camera, I'd recommend getting a colour checker passport, using the adobe DNG editor to make a profile from the CCP file and then moving some of the points around until you get the colours that you want. Or you can use the LR HSL settings to change the colours to something closer to what you want, but that will provide a less accurate result.

If I've misunderstand any part of what you're doing, apologies :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 05:33:31 AM by PhilDrinkwater »

PhilDrinkwater

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2012, 05:31:49 AM »
And whoever mentioned that adobe is still in beta... +10 to you. Don't jump to conclusions before the camera is even officially supported in a released program.

It's very very unlikely that Adobe will significantly change the colour profile for the 5d3 now that it's been released..

PhilDrinkwater

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2012, 05:37:05 AM »
As a final thought, but probably not that relevant to you - you can specify that the camera change it's white balance IN CAMERA. You can push it towards yellow, blue, magenta or green.

(or at least you could on the 5d2 - I suspect that option still exists on the 5d3)

Louis

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2012, 06:08:34 AM »
Firmware Version 1.1.2 incorporates the following improvements and fixes.

2. Fixes a phenomenon where a pink cast may develop over the image when the shutter is completely pressed with the camera’s power turned off (by the auto power off setting).

I know your camera is turned on, but you tried updating the firmware?

Christian_Stella

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • My Out of Date Portfolio
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2012, 06:55:36 AM »
Good news, Canon just announced yet another firmware update only days after their last one!

Firmware Version 1.1.3 incorporates the following improvements and fixes.

1. Fixes a phenomenon where being in the proximity of the camera and an Internet-enabled device may cause the user to complain.
2. Fixes an Internet phenomenon where exposure metering may change when using the top LCD light in underground crypts or tombs.  Under these circumstances, the camera will now simply play a sad violin song through the monaural speaker and shut off for 3 minutes.
3. Reduces the Nikon D800's DxO score to 62.
4. All picture profiles are fully updated and now personally approved by Ken Rockwell for their increased vividness.
5. New interactive menu screen that lets you choose why you are returning your camera before shipping it back to us.

mboss13

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2012, 08:18:24 AM »
I think you are splitting hairs. You can't tell me your clients care about this slight change, for the better in my opinion. What I do know is your clients will thank you when your photos are more in focus which the 5d 3 will do. You can't tell me that you take pictures and print them and get perfect real to life color with no editing. That just does not happen. If you send your photos to a print shop them do tons of color changing to make the photos print as close to what is desired.

+1. Unless your client is a hair dye company and your shooting for their product box cover photo, I really doubt a client would notice, much less care.

Anyway, it looks like a slight WB change in the tint. Just add a touch more green to the WB in camera with the little graph thing and it might match up a little better.

And whoever mentioned that adobe is still in beta... +10 to you. Don't jump to conclusions before the camera is even officially supported in a released program.

what little graph thing do you have in mind? My feeling is you shouldn't have to do that on something worth $3500 but I am willing to try. As for clients, yes you are right, most wouldn't notice it, but my business isn't built on putting out portraits that I would be unhappy with. Again, with Mark ii body, non of this is an issue. As a business owner, I would have to say right now, unless there is a fix for this, the Mark ii is for me a better studio camera. There.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2012, 08:18:24 AM »

mboss13

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2012, 08:21:00 AM »
Looks like the skin tone looks more accurate with the MKIII. Strange that they would improve on a newly released camera. Shocked!

Looking again, no, you are wrong. The color is off. The Mark ii shot is much more realistic look than the purple tinted Mark iii. Same with the grass. Look at the dog toy, the colors are nice and vibrant with the Mark ii, with Mark iii they look boring and faded. To each their own, but I would expect to see an improvement, to me I am seeing a step back. The lightroom fix makes it correct, but that still doesn't apologize the camera.

mboss13

« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2012, 08:24:53 AM »
Good news, Canon just announced yet another firmware update only days after their last one!

Firmware Version 1.1.3 incorporates the following improvements and fixes.

1. Fixes a phenomenon where being in the proximity of the camera and an Internet-enabled device may cause the user to complain.
2. Fixes an Internet phenomenon where exposure metering may change when using the top LCD light in underground crypts or tombs.  Under these circumstances, the camera will now simply play a sad violin song through the monaural speaker and shut off for 3 minutes.
3. Reduces the Nikon D800's DxO score to 62.
4. All picture profiles are fully updated and now personally approved by Ken Rockwell for their increased vividness.
5. New interactive menu screen that lets you choose why you are returning your camera before shipping it back to us.

Thanks to all that are trying to help with this.

Snarky comments like the one here are pointless and make me think that those people don't own either of the cameras I am talking about.

Again thank you all who have had sincere and helpful answers and opinions so far.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2012, 08:24:53 AM »