November 23, 2014, 05:22:05 AM

Author Topic: replacement for the 7D anyone heard anything?????  (Read 30985 times)

lol

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • My dA
Re: replacement for the 7D anyone heard anything?????
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 07:57:17 AM »
I'd love a tilting screen on a future 7D, and I only shoot stills too. It just opens up so many more angles than either with your head glued to the camera or otherwise firing blind. So I'll probably wait for the 600D price to drop a bit then get that as an extra body, but I'd much rather have it in one body though.

In the context of this discussion, I wouldn't consider anything below 1 series to be "pro", so would be happy to see it on a 7D. I don't see any weakness in adding it, providing the design was intended to do so from the start.
Canon 1D, 300D IR, 450D full spectrum, 600D, 5D2, 7D, EF 35/2, 50/1.8, 85/1.8, 135/2+SF, 70-300L, 100-400L
EF-S 15-85, TS-E 24, MP-E 65, Zeiss 50/2 macro, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8 OS, Samyang 8mm fisheye

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 07:57:17 AM »

Macadameane

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 08:59:27 AM »
My 7D doesn't, but I know someone with a Nikon D5000 that had a swivel screen, and it was a very welcome feature.  I used it quite a lot more than I expected.

ccagan

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2011, 11:00:45 AM »
Not to add too much fuel to the fire because we all (for the most part) believe it will be LATE into 2012 before we see a replacement for the 7D, but newegg.com and bestbuy.com are BOTH out of bodies atm.  Just say'n is all.

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2011, 11:23:43 AM »
Not to add too much fuel to the fire because we all (for the most part) believe it will be LATE into 2012 before we see a replacement for the 7D, but newegg.com and bestbuy.com are BOTH out of bodies atm.  Just say'n is all.

The great rebate sale is on, and they are selling like hotcakes, even though they were selling for the same price, usually less before the rebate.  They sell out everytime there is a sale like this.

justsomedude

• Canon 6D
  • 5D3, 6D and 7D2
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2011, 11:36:33 AM »
Hmm... maybe that's the reason the 60D didn't inherit the mag-alloy body from the 50D. It would go way out of the price range for the xxD line if the 60D had a mag-alloy body. Is the 50D considered a "pro" camera? If so, then the 60D is the first "pro" camera to have an articulated screen.

No, the 60D is not a "pro" level camera.  Even Canon's own 60D page calls it an "enthusiast" camera.  Canon's pro-line is reserved for the single digit model numbers (1D, 5D, etc.).  Some people even argue that the 7D is not a "pro" camera as it has a built-in flash, and lacks some desirable features that are only available in the 1D and 5D models.  The official spec page only markets the 7D as a "semi-pro" camera. 

The 60D was the first step of Canon moving their "semi-pro" line of 40D, 50D, etc. into the "enthusiast" realm.  From that standpoint, some see the 60D as a "downgrade" from the previous models in the same line.   No mag-alloy body and reduced fps over 40D and 50D being key elements of that analysis.

The higher number single-digit models (7D, upcoming 6D?, etc.) are considered to be the new "semi-pro" line of Canon cameras - and that they will be carrying that mentality forward with their upcoming releases.

adamdoesmovies

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 04:57:30 AM »
If you don't want a screen to articulate, it can always latch back into the body where you can attach a protector and leave it there.  I always thought the swivel screen was a gimmick... until I used it. I now find myself saying "If I had that swivel screen I could get all the way down/up/against to get this shot." It would be awesome for stills and video. As for durability, they would likely make the mount for a camera like the 7D out of metal, or something much stronger than the glorified laptop hinge on the 60D.

The durability factor is a slight concern for me (my 30D looks like it just came back from its 3rd tour of duty overseas), but my camera generally sustains damage when it's being transported or hung by a strap (a closed-screen situation), and rarely does it get hurt when it's in my hands.

Fleetie

• Canon 70D
  • Watching for pigs on the wing
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 06:43:06 AM »
If you don't want a screen to articulate, it can always latch back into the body where you can attach a protector and leave it there.  I always thought the swivel screen was a gimmick... until I used it. I now find myself saying "If I had that swivel screen I could get all the way down/up/against to get this shot." It would be awesome for stills and video. As for durability, they would likely make the mount for a camera like the 7D out of metal, or something much stronger than the glorified laptop hinge on the 60D.
But it wouldn't be awesome for stills, would it? Because in order to use it, you'd have to fall back on "Live View" mode, with its attendant autofocus issues.

Martin
Canon 5D3  ,  70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II ,  24-105mm f/4 L IS  ,  50mm f/1.4  ,  85mm f/1.8 ,  EF 2x III
Olympus OM2-SP , 50mm f/1.2 , 55mm f/1.2 , 50mm f/1.4 Silvernose , 135mm f/2.8 , 28mm f/2.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 06:43:06 AM »

adamdoesmovies

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2011, 05:12:19 AM »
But it wouldn't be awesome for stills, would it? Because in order to use it, you'd have to fall back on "Live View" mode, with its attendant autofocus issues.

Martin

The idea is that you make up for not focusing as fast by at least knowing -what- you're focusing on! You don't have to use it all the time, of course... When you do, you don't even have to fold it out. For stills, though, it is mainly useful for those shots where you wouldn't be getting the shot at all without it, or would have a lot of trouble doing so.

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2011, 07:13:06 PM »
I can't really think of anything that the current 7D needs to be updated with.  It's still the highest mp cropped DSLR available. 8fps is pretty much top tier and at the moment it's got the most advanced UI and features of the Canon range. I think it makes the current 5DII look a little old spec wise, although i still think that the 5DII focusses better in low light and it's IQ is the best in canon's range atm.

adamdoesmovies

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2011, 07:03:24 AM »
I can't really think of anything that the current 7D needs to be updated with.  It's still the highest mp cropped DSLR available. 8fps is pretty much top tier and at the moment it's got the most advanced UI and features of the Canon range. I think it makes the current 5DII look a little old spec wise, although i still think that the 5DII focusses better in low light and it's IQ is the best in canon's range atm.

the 7D's main omissions, other than the folding screen, are in the video department and could be completely fixed via firmware. Features like zebra, mic gain control, more resolution/framerate combos (seriously, no 720P/24-30 for when I don't need to project it on a screen the size of a barn?) , histograms, a digital zoom mode for video, lens data display (focus distance, mm, etc),  and a focus window that stays up when you record. It would be nice, and it's all capable through firmware update.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2011, 07:03:24 AM »