July 31, 2014, 01:02:55 PM

Poll

Do you make money off photography or how else do you make money?

Photography is my profession greater that half my income is made
5 (9.6%)
I do some side jobs
13 (25%)
Its just for fun
25 (48.1%)
I'm a student
2 (3.8%)
I'm a business person in an unrelated field
7 (13.5%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: For those interested in 7D2  (Read 4586 times)

PerfectSavage

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: For those interested in 7D2
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 08:46:43 AM »
The 7D has a better build quality and sealings than the 5DII and equal to the 5D3 and 1Dx.

Ummm...no.  The 7D has better build quality and sealings than the 5DII and equal to the 5DIII - that part is true.  The 1D X is a substantial step up in both build quality and weather sealing.  The ranking is 1-series >> 7D = 5DIII > 5DII = 50D/60D.

Hard to say exactly given the production 1Dx isn't even out yet, no?  What is going to be different in the 1Dx from the 5D3 sealing-wise?...because my 5D3 is exactly the same as my 7D in terms of housing (from what I can see/touch at least)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 08:46:43 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 12:01:05 PM »
The 7D has a better build quality and sealings than the 5DII and equal to the 5D3 and 1Dx.

Ummm...no.  The 7D has better build quality and sealings than the 5DII and equal to the 5DIII - that part is true.  The 1D X is a substantial step up in both build quality and weather sealing.  The ranking is 1-series >> 7D = 5DIII > 5DII = 50D/60D.

Hard to say exactly given the production 1Dx isn't even out yet, no?  What is going to be different in the 1Dx from the 5D3 sealing-wise?...because my 5D3 is exactly the same as my 7D in terms of housing (from what I can see/touch at least)

Not hard to say at all - Canon has clarified the sealing status.  The 1D X has sealing equivalent to the 1D IV (and other recent 1-series bodies).  That sealing is a substantial step up from that found on the 7D and 5DIII.  Question: have you ever held/used a 1-series body?  They're built like tanks - my 7D felt really solid (still does, especially compared to a Rebel), but the 1-series is a noticeable step up. 

Much of the sealing is in the form of things you can't see/touch - internal gaskets under buttons, etc.  One reason the 1-series lacks a mode selection dial is that the dial is harder to seal than a button.  To give one example, the 'weather sealing' under the shutter button on the 7D and 5DIII is a 'manufacturing tolerance' seal, meaning tight assembly is the only protection.  The current 1-series bodies have a rubber seal under the button (and much tighter manufacturing tolerances, as well).
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 02:53:51 PM by neuroanatomist »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

AdamJ

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 12:36:11 PM »
I haven't seen any evidence from Canon that they've made any great strides in sensor noise performance recently so I'm not expecting any big leaps in this aspect from 7D to 7DII. Since the 7D doesn't have any other significant weaknesses, it seems very good value to me. I will probably buy one next month with a reasonable expectation that the 7DII's announcement won't leave me wishing I had waited.

dunkers

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 12:58:23 PM »

I've had the opportunity to play with the 1DC (essentially a 1DX) and it feels substantially beefier than the 7D.

I'd have no qualms about using a 1DC as a blunt object to fend off thieves. I'd be a little hesitant to do so using a 7D. But then again, there are plenty of DigitalRev videos that show just how durable a DSLR can be.....
5D3 | 60D | 100L IS | 70-200L II IS | 24-105L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 12:58:23 PM »