September 22, 2014, 02:16:51 PM

Author Topic: Chinese Did it Again! alternative grip for 5D III on pre order  (Read 17752 times)

rlarsen

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Did it Again! alternative grip for 5D III on pre order
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2012, 02:33:00 PM »
I'm quite surprised the announcement of the Pixel grip beat the delivery of the Canon grip. I knew there'd be a knock off but they didn't waste any time. I just pre-ordered the Pixel brand. The pictures on EBay show what looks to be a well made product. Of course we all want to know how well the buttons function.
I bought a Zeikos grip for my 5D MKll for under $60 and it was perfectly fine. As good as the Pixel looks I would have preferred ordering the Zeikos brand because of personal experience.
I didn't mind paying top dollar for the great 5D MK lll, but I sure wasn't about to spend $350 for the Canon grip.

Mk lll grip for $90, no tax and free shipping, life is good ! Thanks to the OP for the tip !

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2012, 02:33:00 PM »

sovietdoc

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2012, 03:21:54 PM »
Is the knock-off made with magnesium alloy and improved weather sealing?  Hah just kidding.

It makes sense to get the grip cheap, but calling $350 "too much" after shelling out $3500 for the body?

I love my 5d3 so much I wouldn't hesitate to buy a grip for $350 if I needed it.

rlarsen

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2012, 03:53:19 PM »
The main thing I'm going on with my decision is that the $58 Zeikos grip for the MK ll was identical to the Canon grip minus the name printed on it. As long as the controls work smoothly I won't mind if it's made from a lighter material.
All I need is a comfortable way to shoot verticals with the camera. I won't be hammering nails with it.
The price of $90 shipped is not tempting ? I'm thrilled with the option. If the Canon grip turns out to be a Hell of a lot nicer, I sure will consider it for my 2nd body.

KeithR

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2012, 04:44:03 PM »
great idea 3000 camera and save some pennies with a grip cmon get the OE part it will be worth it in the long run
"Worth it" how, exactly?

Here's some personal experience of aftermarket grips.

I've used a Meike grip on my 7D since December 2009 and have not had a moment's problem with it - and this is a body with a Siggy 120-300mm f/2.8 OS and 2x converter (and prior to that a Canon 100-400mm) hanging from it, attached by the grip, swinging from my shoulder for hours at a time in the field and routinely being hauled around to my eye quickly and unceremoniously to get onto the birds I shoot.

DB

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2012, 06:56:11 PM »
I have a Meike MK-7D + their LP-E6 clones that are indistinguishable from the Chinese made original Canon ones. My grip is solid, reliable and matches the body colour and texture of my 7D. Batteries last just as long as the branded ones.

I also use Yongnuo YN-565EX (580 Exii clones w/o HSS & weather-shielding) flashguns which work perfectly with wireless triggering + full ETTL-II metering etc. Plus I've got 2 x PiXeL TD-381 (Canon CP-E4 clones) battery packs that are much faster than the original Canon version. I use generic off-camera hot-shoe sync cords, brackets etc.

And the Yongnuo MC-36R wireless remote shutter/timer works perfectly too.

All of the above cost less than 1/3rd of the Canon branded products that are probably made in the same or similar factories.

Is there a copy made for the 600 EX RT yet?

I'll bet they've taken the 600EX-RT apart already and are working on a clone. How much do you think they will charge for it, perhaps $200-250 given that in Europe the new flagship Canon flashgun costs almost a grand! My closest Canon camera store has the 600EX-RT in stock for a mere US$920 (see advert link below)

http://www.connscameras.ie/canon-600exrt-speedlite/4960999786100pd.html

How can you justify paying more for a flashgun, than say for a HD video capable DSLR like a Rebel T3i?

FunPhotons

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2012, 07:00:00 PM »
Are the aftermarket grips made out of magnesium alloy?

I can't find it now, but I seem to recall the the Canon grips have an alloy exoskeleton like the cameras.

DB

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2012, 07:27:52 PM »

I can't find it now, but I seem to recall the the Canon grips have an alloy exoskeleton like the cameras.

No. They're probably all plastic, but hey I suppose you pay partly for quality + partly for the brand.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2012, 07:27:52 PM »

spinworkxroy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2012, 09:42:21 PM »
This only ships to certain places and Singapore isn't one of them :(
Tried to pre-order it but can't...i too won't buy the original one, because the price to me isn't worth it.
Yes, the OEM ones won't be magnesium etc...but i only use the grip on occasions where i need to which is maybe 5% of the times i use the mk3, so it doesn't make sense paying so much when the OEM type performs equally as well, though quality is not the same, performance is...

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2012, 05:55:06 AM »
No. They're probably all plastic, but hey I suppose you pay partly for quality + partly for the brand.
On an old 5D I wore out the genuine grip, and the paint over the metal lasted just a few months from new before it showed the metal underneath. This camera was worked mercilessly in all sorts of conditions as a second body to a couple of 1-Series bodies. I replaced the grip with a Meike clone. Being made of plastic, it looked as good as the day it was bought when I finally retired the camera. There are benefits.

Paul Wright

KeithR

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2012, 07:02:16 AM »
Not in my experience - but there are some damn' tough plastics out there these days, so that's not necessarily a deal-breaker.

Taemobig

• Rebel T5i
  • www.junmapue.com
    • View Profile
    • Jun Mapue Photography
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2012, 09:55:21 PM »
Can anyone who pre-ordered it post a review when they get it? That would be greatly appreciated!
5D Mk. III |5D Mk. II | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 MkII 2.8L IS | 17-40 4.0L | 85 1.8 | 50 1.4|  40 2.8 pancake | 600EX-RT x2

Mencho(22)

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2012, 11:50:42 PM »
I sent some questions to the Ebay seller and I have just received a lot of news about the grip  :) :) :) :)

Dear Cristian,

As you asked before some questions about the product material and if it is really waterproof and dustproof,  let me give you some "last minute" information regarding the Pixel Grip.

The Grip is made of ABS plastic.

---------------
A plastic of acrylonitrile-butadienestyrene; has good resistance to impact, heat, and chemicals; esp. used for piping.

Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS)

ABS plastic is what your Playstation 1 shell (or other console system plastic shell) is made out of. It’s also what most Gundams are made out of. ABS is much harder, and is typically smooth. You can add texture to it, but it’s typically not a very fine texture.

ABS is made from a combination of monomers made from propylene, ammonia, butane, and coal. The advantage is that it combines the strength and rigid properties, as well as the rubbery toughness (ABS can bend without snapping). ABS is by far the strongest plastic used for making figurines. So while PVC is soft and rubbery in resilience, ABS is tough and rigid.

----------------

The grip protection level is IP41

http://www.altechcorp.com/PDFS/TECHsp.PDF

It is not "waterproof", you can't put it under water (as the camera) but it will resist an slightly rain.
The grip IS dustproof.

Another interesting info is: We will have a sample grip on our hands by the next monday, so we will be making a "hands on review" next week before the release date and will also upload a video review of it.

Market Release date has not changed: Jun/10th... but who knows, perhaps earlier pre-orderers would have a surprise ;)

If I could be for further help, don't hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards,

Augusto Rehm
Customer Service
Studio Lighting Pro

Email us at customers@studiolightingpro.com

niccyboy

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2012, 07:02:31 AM »
I sent some questions to the Ebay seller and I have just received a lot of news about the grip  :) :) :) :)

Dear Cristian,

As you asked before some questions about the product material and if it is really waterproof and dustproof,  let me give you some "last minute" information regarding the Pixel Grip.

The Grip is made of ABS plastic.

---------------
A plastic of acrylonitrile-butadienestyrene; has good resistance to impact, heat, and chemicals; esp. used for piping.

Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS)

ABS plastic is what your Playstation 1 shell (or other console system plastic shell) is made out of. It’s also what most Gundams are made out of. ABS is much harder, and is typically smooth. You can add texture to it, but it’s typically not a very fine texture.

ABS is made from a combination of monomers made from propylene, ammonia, butane, and coal. The advantage is that it combines the strength and rigid properties, as well as the rubbery toughness (ABS can bend without snapping). ABS is by far the strongest plastic used for making figurines. So while PVC is soft and rubbery in resilience, ABS is tough and rigid.

----------------

The grip protection level is IP41

http://www.altechcorp.com/PDFS/TECHsp.PDF

It is not "waterproof", you can't put it under water (as the camera) but it will resist an slightly rain.
The grip IS dustproof.

Another interesting info is: We will have a sample grip on our hands by the next monday, so we will be making a "hands on review" next week before the release date and will also upload a video review of it.

Market Release date has not changed: Jun/10th... but who knows, perhaps earlier pre-orderers would have a surprise ;)

If I could be for further help, don't hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards,

Augusto Rehm
Customer Service
Studio Lighting Pro

Email us at customers@studiolightingpro.com

Thanks for the info! I preordered a couple yesterday. $90 vs $360-$400 each in Aus... I've had both genuine and non genuine grips and never had a problem!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2012, 07:02:31 AM »

Chris Burch

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • CHRIS BURCH photography
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2012, 12:16:04 PM »
Does anyone know for certain if the Canon grips are made with a metal frame?  It occurs to me that since I started using Black Rapid grips, all of the wait of the camera and lens will be hanging from the tripod mount on the bottom of the grip...one made of plastic only concerns me.
Canon 1DX, 5D Mark III, 5D MarkII

dswatson83

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2012, 08:00:08 AM »
Does anyone know for certain if the Canon grips are made with a metal frame?  It occurs to me that since I started using Black Rapid grips, all of the wait of the camera and lens will be hanging from the tripod mount on the bottom of the grip...one made of plastic only concerns me.
Typically the grips are made on par with the body. The 5DIII grip should be weather sealed. I have used these aftermarket grips on the 60D and you could hardly tell that it was aftermarket. On the 7D it is a little more obvious the difference between material choices. For the 5DIII I will probably take the Canon grip since it's a new camera and I will own it for at least 3 years. Just bought the 7D a couple months ago and went aftermarket for the grip since it will only be my primary camera for a couple months. I plan on getting the mark III, I have just been waiting on full lightroom support, the grip and accessories to be out, and reviews for the new Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC to determine whether I want to get the 5D kit or just the body and go with the Tamron.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2012, 08:00:08 AM »