October 30, 2014, 10:46:07 AM

Author Topic: A myth of growing from APS-C to Fullframe or Dealing with anachronisms  (Read 9612 times)

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
When I was buying my 40D in 2008, I was thinking well, I'll first get into Canon system and then will grow into fullframe.
And because I am a pure hobbyist, I actually never had neither the money nor the excuse to pay big $ for FF camera and lenses.

In the end I've stuck with Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 (non-VC), Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 10-22mm, Rokinon fisheye and Canon 55-250mm.

From these lenses only Canon 85mm f1.8 is designed for FF, all others are for APS-C only.
And still these lenses are quite large compared micro43 lenses altough the sensor size difference is not that large.
Indeed, Canon APS-C sensor diagonal is 26.7mm, while m43 is 21.6mm, so the difference is just 5.1mm!
Obviously, size optimisation wasn't a priority task for designers of the lenses I own, as again opposed to m43 system.

With the high quality mirrorless cameras like Olympus E-M5, the rumored Panasonic GH3 and more and more good lenses supporting that system, it seems to me that APS-C system is becoming an anachronism.
Really, for half the weight and close price, one can build similar or better system with m43.

I really see not much point in APS-C cameras anymore. First, they're not a good helpers for you to grow to FF. Second, there is no strong commitment to this format even by manufacturers themselves. They just have produced the most necessary line  of lenses, mostly mediocre quality, which is understandably to attract
amateurs by price. In all those years no single really high quality APS-C lens, which would approach to L-glass (apart from maybe the 17-50mm f2.8 by Nikon).

Most importantly I don't see any SYSTEM in APS-C especially by Canon! If it's a system, then where is the EF-S 50-150mm f2.8, which should correspond to 70-200mm in FF?
Sigma is the only helper here :)), where are the primes, like EF-S 15mm, EF-S 22mm, EF-S 35mm 1.8, EF-S 50mm 1.8 etc?

The idea of APS-C was nice - to make amateurs enter into interchangeable lenses world. Now, this role is better fullfilled by m43.
APS-C format was a good dollar-machine, but I believe not anymore.

Will we see slow die-out of APS-C in near future? Or Canikon will be smart enough to trasnform in into more compact format, with less pain to EF-S and DX lens owners?

I whole heartedly disagree with you. Read Thom Hogan's website about equivalency (a google search with those whree keywords will produce the desired result).
What is truth?

canon rumors FORUM

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
An interesting point. Panasonic will soon announce their GH3 mirror-less camera that may tempt many Rebel users away (especially those who purchased primarily for video), particularly as it can use so many different lens types (including EF)

I started with a Rebel T2i then migrated to a 7D, but have never purchased an EF-S lens, only FF EF ones, because like many of the other views extolled here, I would like to migrate next to FF, because of the bigger sensor size and improved IQ (well, the IQ is talked about so much by those with 5D2's and above).

If you ever decide to go FF and keep your 7D, it might make more sense to get the ultrawide for the crop sensor rather than the fullframe.  Getting a 10-22 or a Sigma 8-16 is much less costly than Canon's FF 16-35 and the performance doesn't differ that much.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
When I was buying my 40D in 2008, I was thinking well, I'll first get into Canon system and then will grow into fullframe.
And because I am a pure hobbyist, I actually never had neither the money nor the excuse to pay big $ for FF camera and lenses.

In the end I've stuck with Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 (non-VC), Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 10-22mm, Rokinon fisheye and Canon 55-250mm.

From these lenses only Canon 85mm f1.8 is designed for FF, all others are for APS-C only.
And still these lenses are quite large compared micro43 lenses altough the sensor size difference is not that large.
Indeed, Canon APS-C sensor diagonal is 26.7mm, while m43 is 21.6mm, so the difference is just 5.1mm!
Obviously, size optimisation wasn't a priority task for designers of the lenses I own, as again opposed to m43 system.

With the high quality mirrorless cameras like Olympus E-M5, the rumored Panasonic GH3 and more and more good lenses supporting that system, it seems to me that APS-C system is becoming an anachronism.
Really, for half the weight and close price, one can build similar or better system with m43.

I really see not much point in APS-C cameras anymore. First, they're not a good helpers for you to grow to FF. Second, there is no strong commitment to this format even by manufacturers themselves. They just have produced the most necessary line  of lenses, mostly mediocre quality, which is understandably to attract
amateurs by price. In all those years no single really high quality APS-C lens, which would approach to L-glass (apart from maybe the 17-50mm f2.8 by Nikon).

Most importantly I don't see any SYSTEM in APS-C especially by Canon! If it's a system, then where is the EF-S 50-150mm f2.8, which should correspond to 70-200mm in FF?
Sigma is the only helper here, where are the primes, like EF-S 15mm, EF-S 22mm, EF-S 35mm 1.8, EF-S 50mm 1.8 etc?

The idea of APS-C was nice - to make amateurs enter into interchangeable lenses world. Now, this role is better fullfilled by m43.

Will we see slow die-out of APS-C in near future? Or Canikon will be smart enough to trasnform in into more compact format, with less pain to EF-S and DX lens owners?

I've never seen Canon sell the Rebels as a system to move to FF.  It stands alone. 

However, if a person has plans to move to FF in the near future, purchase lenses that are good for both.  The 17-40mm L, 24-105mm L, 70-200mmL (f/4 or f/2.8), in fact, many EF lenses are out there, both high quality, or inexpensive.  However, EF-S lenses will never work on a Canon FF.  Buy them if you plan to stick with APS-C.  There is nothing wrong with that, it will be around for a long time.

ScottyP

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Marketshare would tend to disagree with your idea of 4/3 killing Canon and Nikon any time soon.  Plus, I love all the lens reviews that harsh on a FF lens (Canon or 3p) for "vignetting" only to say that "of course, this is no corncern when mounted on a crop body".

Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

briansquibb

Marketshare would tend to disagree with your idea of 4/3 killing Canon and Nikon any time soon.  Plus, I love all the lens reviews that harsh on a FF lens (Canon or 3p) for "vignetting" only to say that "of course, this is no corncern when mounted on a crop body".

APS-C users definitely get better IQ from EF lens - try the 17-40 on both and see which body gives the best image ....

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr

Sigma is the only helper here :)), where are the primes, like EF-S 15mm, EF-S 22mm, EF-S 35mm 1.8, EF-S 50mm 1.8 etc?

To me it's like saying - "synthetic food is better". From what I've learned, if you want to grow a FF system then you should start with a FF body, and using L glass on APS-C bodies is a waste :)
FF + primes !

briansquibb

To me it's like saying - "synthetic food is better". From what I've learned, if you want to grow a FF system then you should start with a FF body, and using L glass on APS-C bodies is a waste :)

.... does that apply to those with mixed ff and crops? .....
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 03:03:59 AM by briansquibb »

canon rumors FORUM

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr

.... does that apply to those with mixed ff amd crops? .....

I guess it does not ...
... I do eat fast food sometimes :D
FF + primes !

canon rumors FORUM