November 25, 2017, 04:47:26 AM

Author Topic: Quick Tests for Canon 5D MKIII  (Read 2524 times)

Ayelike

• PowerShot G1 X II
Quick Tests for Canon 5D MKIII
« on: May 31, 2012, 06:42:57 PM »
So after a year plus of waiting, I'm finally getting my hands on a 5D3 in two weeks time. I'm from the UK but to save some cash I'm picking it up when I have a trip over to Germany to see a friend - customs are fine with the import as it's purchased within the EU for personal use so no issues there.

My question for you guys is, I've basically got one day with the camera in Germany before I head back to the UK so I want to make sure I've got a good copy while I'm over there. I don't know if I've spent too long in this forum to get a bit paranoid about bad copies but what kind of tests can I do to make sure I've not got any of the issues people have been sending dud copies back for? High ISO shots to check noise levels? Long exposures of light and dark scenes to check for dead/hot pixels etc? Is there a way of mapping out hot pixels?

I'm guessing my copy is a post-light-leak model as it has only come into stock this week but I'll check for the xxxxx1xxxxxx or xxxxx2xxxxxx serial numbers.

Any tips would be gratefully received!

Oh and if it helps, although I'm getting body only, I'll be taking my Canon 24-70mm f2.8 L for the tests.

canon rumors FORUM

Quick Tests for Canon 5D MKIII
« on: May 31, 2012, 06:42:57 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
Re: Quick Tests for Canon 5D MKIII
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 07:30:03 PM »
see if you can get your hands on a kenko teleconverter, the new DGX type
if it gives you an error 00 when attached and the lens still wont register on the body withot the converter until you remove the battery I would put money on it having a faulty AF unit

my new one has a 3 in the serial number and it works perfectly the first one i had was a complete PoS
it was a serial number 1
APS-H Fanboy

Ayelike

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 11:47:33 AM »
I've just had the serial number emailed to me and it's a x3x! Am so happy. Now I'm just clock watching until my flight out there to pick it up!

mdm041

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 01:00:46 PM »
This is what I did when I got mine...

I put the AF to the limit by shooting low contrast images in low light.  Started simple and each shoot took it to a more difficult scenario.  Only place it had trouble was on a solid color wall at ISO 6400...but it eventually got it.  Use more than just the center point to compose.  Even with my 7d I usually stuck with the center point and recomposed.  I find that setting the joystick to change FP is quick and the outer points are accurate.  Keep in mind you may have to AFMA to your lens to get tack sharp images. 

You will need to spend some time with the AF system to see how it works in the other modes so don't think the camera is off because you aren't getting the exact results you think you should. 

It is hard to really test IQ if you can't do PP but just shoot as many photos as you can.  If they look good then you're fine.  You may want to try to drain the battery down and see how the camera is affected.  Try all shooting modes to make sure the high speed and silent modes operate as you feel they should. 

Take some video even if you don't usually just to test out the quality of the image and try to use the touch sensitive sound adjustments. 

Play with the different meter modes to see how it affects exposure to make sure you are still getting the results you might expect.  If you have a light meter you might use it to see how close the camera is....keeping in mind most light meters are exposing for light received and the camera is light reflected from the scene.  It probably won't be exact but it should be pretty close in most cases.  Also, remember that the spot meter does not follow the focus point. 

Remember to format the Memory cards even if they are brand new before you get started.  If they were formatted in another camera then still be sure to format them again.

The last thing I did was play with the HDR and Multiple exposure options.

Hope some of this helps.

5D III, 7D, 16-35 F2.8L, 24-70 F2.8L, 50 F1.4
70-200 F2.8L IS II

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • AW Photography
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 01:13:01 PM »
A few must have tests to make sure the camera is worthy of purchase...

#1, set the camera next to the oven with a frying pan and put an egg in it.  Set the cameras Mode to scramble...  Wait 2 minutes... See if the eggs is indeed scrambled.  If it's over easy or poached, return immediately.  Also you may want to test the coffee brewer function.  That will be crucial. 

#2, set the camera on a tripod facing a blank white wall.  set the camera on AWB and think of the color yellow.  fire a shot.  If the picture is anything but yellow, return it as the mind control function obviously isn't working which will lead to other problems down the road. 

#3, lastly, go by a busy street where cars are traveliing at a decent speed.  Stand on the sidewalk but be near the road so the cars are whizzing past you.  Set the camera on ai servo and high speed continous shooting.  focus on a car 50 yards out coming towards you and rapid fire... If when zoomed in after reviewing the photos, you cannot see eyelashes on the driver in each consecutive frame, send it back because obviously the AF is faulty. 

Now on a serious note, shoot pictures of the sky.... look for hot pixels, play with AF in varying areas and see how well it locks on... read the manual over and over and once more just for good measure.  The menu system has had an overhaul so locating things may be in different areas and harder to find so take your time and understand it and all the nuances.  Lastly look for any signs of hidden damage such as paint chips, scratches in the LCD's, etc... easy to get if they aren't careful with the camera and could lower your asking price. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L IS, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 2 430EX 2's and a partridge in a pear tree.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 01:13:01 PM »