July 28, 2014, 05:02:57 PM

Author Topic: Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Information.  (Read 31074 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Information.
« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2012, 08:37:01 AM »
I've just heard from sources stating that those two STM lenses use electronic manual focus like the 85L. It's a blow to static image users, making it much less appealing to us.

Speak for yourself...  Why is it a 'blow'?  Personally, the only 'problem' I have with the EMF on the 85L II is that I needed to get into the habit of focusing to infinity to retract the front element before unmounting the lens, due to the front focusing design.  Given that both the new STM lenses are inner focusing, I don't see any issue at all.  I frequently manually focus my 85L II, focus is smooth and easy to use.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2012, 08:37:01 AM »

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #106 on: June 11, 2012, 09:28:09 AM »
This lens looks great!
What is truth?

drmikeinpdx

• Canon 70D
  • Celebrating 20 years of naughty photography!
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Boudoir Photo
« Reply #107 on: June 11, 2012, 01:49:13 PM »
I used to have a Pentax 40mm pancake lens that I bought to use with my old Pentax ME Super.  That was a fairly small 35mm camera, about the size of a modern Canon Rebel without the grip.  I made my own very thin case so that I could carry the camera in a coat pocket.  I thought that was so cool!

Unfortunately, shortly after that, I discovered a small zoom lens that was pretty sharp and that quickly became my favorite lens for the ME Super.  The pancake lens stayed on the shelf for many years before I sold all my film camera gear.  I got a good price for it on Ebay.

I am drawn to the new Canon pancake lens for the coolness factor, but realistically, I can't see a use for it in my system.  Putting it on one of my full sized bodies seems pointless, since I would still have a large camera to lug around.

I could put it on my T2i, but the 18-50 kit lens is really light, sharp and has IS.  I've been very happy using this combo as my vacation camera.  I'd miss the zoom capability.

I have an S90 that fits in my pocket for times when I need that.

I just can't think of any use for a pancake lens other than to look cool in the cabinet where I keep my lens collection.

Mike
Current bodies:  5D3, 7D, 550D, S100
Favorite lenses: 135 f/2.0 L, 85 f/1.8 200 f/2.8 L, 50 f1.4 Sigma, 40mm pancake, 24-105 L.
blog:   http://www.BeyondBoudoirPhoto.com

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 11, 2012, 01:58:34 PM »
I just can't think of any use for a pancake lens other than to look cool in the cabinet where I keep my lens collection.

Admittedly, that was my first impression as well.  But a camera with lens is essentially a large cube when it comes to transport, and this pancake lens changes the form factor to something almost flat (like a thick book).  A 1-series or gripped body with only the body cap will fit in the outer pocket of my computer satchel, whereas even a non-gripped body with a kit lens attached will not.  The 40mm f/2.8 Pancake is not much thicker than a body cap, and when mounted will not stick out much beyond the lower grip and pentaprism bulge.  So...I could take a dSLR on an overnight business trip where I use my computer satchel as an overnight bag, and otherwise would be bringing just the S100 (in fact, I could still bring that, too).  Plus, the lens only costs about half of what I paid for the S100...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 02:00:40 PM by neuroanatomist »

briansquibb

« Reply #109 on: June 11, 2012, 02:04:42 PM »

Admittedly, that was my first impression as well.  But a camera with lens is essentially a large cube when it comes to transport, and this pancake lens changes the form factor to something almost flat (like a thick book).  A 1-series or gripped body with only the body cap will fit in the outer pocket of my computer satchel, whereas even a non-gripped body with a kit lens attached will not.  The 40mm f/2.8 Pancake is not much thicker than a body cap, and when mounted will not stick out much beyond the lower grip and pentaprism bulge.  So...I could take a dSLR on an overnight business trip where I use my computer satchel as an overnight bag, and otherwise would be bringing just the S100 (in fact, I could still bring that, too).  Plus, the lens only costs about half of what I paid for the S100...

I fancy sticking it on the 1D4/1Ds3 as it will make them innocuous

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 11, 2012, 02:21:46 PM »

Until someone mods it to make it white, like they did to the 50/1.8 II:

dukeofprunes

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 11, 2012, 02:46:32 PM »

Completely agree. With this lens I can easily fit my 5D2 in a camel back for shorter bicycle trips in the woods. It might seem strange, but I am actually getting this instead of the 50L! Although the 50L is bulky, it does not build outwards too much compared to e.g. 35L, and therefore can be more portable in some situations. The 28 f/1.8, 35 f/2, and 50 f/1.4 all have their quirks with respect to build quality, focus noise/performance, bokeh quality and/or sharpness while the shorty-forty seems to be quite good in all these areas (looking forward to reviews). Yes, it is 1-2 stops slower, but it is also up to half the size and price!

I would wish for a compact 35 f/2 L that is sharp wide open though.. 35L and the 40 pancake will have to do.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 02:49:10 PM by dukeofprunes »
EOS 5D mkII | 17-40 f/4 L | 24-105 f/4 L IS | 70-200 f/4 L IS | Speedlite 430EX II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: June 11, 2012, 02:46:32 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 11, 2012, 06:46:03 PM »

Until someone mods it to make it white, like they did to the 50/1.8 II:

LOL I want to see pics of that persons car....
APS-H Fanboy

kdsand

• Canon 70D
  • Newt II a human stampede
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 11, 2012, 07:41:28 PM »

Then try taking it with you 'on the tube' - saw this recently on a camera website - seems UK has become decidedly DSLR unfriendly.....unfortunately

Ooh Poo!
So completely retarded.
Banning all cameras - even on cell phones would perhaps be somewhat affective. Darn feeble minded politicians & bureaucrats so stupid!

The wording is even screwy.  High quality sensor & high resolution making it sound twice as threatening, and due to those----- OK why due to those?

« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 07:59:18 PM by kdsand »
60D, t2i, Magic Lantern, Manfrotto, Joby, Domke, SanDisk and excetera excetera

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 11, 2012, 08:03:27 PM »

Then try taking it with you 'on the tube' - saw this recently on a camera website - seems UK has become decidedly DSLR unfriendly.....unfortunately

Ooh Poo!
So completely retarded.
Banning all cameras - even on cell phones would perhaps be somewhat affective. Darn feeble minded politicians & bureaucrats so stupid!

The wording is even screwy.  High quality sensor & high resolution making it sound twice as threatening, and due to those----- OK why due to those?

they sont say you cant take a medium format camera on that sign though :o
APS-H Fanboy

headingsouth

« Reply #115 on: June 11, 2012, 08:38:48 PM »
Man, this lens looks so amazing. I can't wait to get one...I just wish I could see what it looks like on the older Rebels...don't want something funky looking.

kdsand

• Canon 70D
  • Newt II a human stampede
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 11, 2012, 09:47:36 PM »
Eh...I think that was the 2011 sign, the new 2012 London Underground signage (in preparation for the Olympics) has been revised - see below: ;D ;D ;D

I thought they got rid of all the Aussies.   :D
60D, t2i, Magic Lantern, Manfrotto, Joby, Domke, SanDisk and excetera excetera

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 11, 2012, 10:02:51 PM »
Eh...I think that was the 2011 sign, the new 2012 London Underground signage (in preparation for the Olympics) has been revised - see below: ;D ;D ;D

I thought they got rid of all the Aussies.   :D

ROFL @ the modified sign
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #117 on: June 11, 2012, 10:02:51 PM »

Ellen Schmidtee

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 12, 2012, 12:26:35 AM »

There isn't a place in Israel I wasn't told by security guards in the entrance that photography is forbidden within the premises - train stations, central bus stations, banks, malls, book shops, supermarkets, etc. Those prohibitions are often the initiative of security people, e.g. the train spokesman was asked about the non-existing prohibition so often, a written statement was issued that photography in train stations is actually permitted.

I've found out the hard way that one Israeli movie theater has a 'no cameras within the premises' policy, enforced by two armed security guards standing in the entrance. Not 60 seconds have passed before the resident lawyer was dispatched to offer me to have the camera kept in the theater's safe until I left the building.

[All movie theaters must have security guards at the entrance due to an order issued by the British military governor, which was never cancelled. Now the guards not only protect the audience from terrorists threat, but the movie from copyright infringement threat as well.]

suburbia

« Reply #119 on: June 18, 2012, 05:36:11 AM »

Aldwych station is a museum, it is not part of the underground transport network. It is an old but now disused station used for film shoots and organised tours.

Apparently it was considered that people with tripods would cause a safety issue and delays during the tours however the sign is clearly a misinterpretation of that, so they have apologised:

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/2136431/london-underground-apologises-dslr-ban-blunder

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #119 on: June 18, 2012, 05:36:11 AM »