December 22, 2014, 02:57:49 PM

Author Topic: 60D owners...help, i need reassurance before i pull the trigger  (Read 13079 times)

picturesbyme

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • AtlanticPicture.com
Re: 60D owners...help, i need reassurance before i pull the trigger
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 03:06:33 PM »
...some will tell you that you need the newest of the newest but I think the 60D is pretty capable... of course the body is only a part of the final image... I would pay attention on the lens and the technique too...

...watch this, it's a cool video :)

http://youtu.be/eQLwdD9BstY

Regards,
http://atlanticpicture.com/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 03:06:33 PM »

kubsztal

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 03:18:30 PM »
Why not just get the new T4i????

- smaller buffer,
- shorter battery life,
- smaller grip,
- no back wheel,
- pentamirror,
- slower max shutter,
- no top lcd,
- no kelvin white balance,
- smaller range of exposure bracketing,
- no custom mode on selector knob,
- wider center/spot metering points,
- slower flash sync speed,
- no magic lantern,
- and so on...

1DSLR

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 03:52:45 PM »
Lots of good advice by the posters.

The EF-S 15-85 is quite a nice lens with the only limitation being it is not particularly fast for photographing rapid movement in low light.

The tilt-swivel LCD is very helpful for macro work (or self/all-the-family portraits).  Between the two photographers in the family, we have both the EF-S 60mm macro and a 100mm macro.  If you intend to do macro of small moving things such as insects, I suggest the 100mm non-L as it's image quality is very close to the 100mm L-version and the extra distance makes it less likely you will frighten off the small critter you are macro photographing.  Plus, it gives you a slightly longer and much faster telephoto than the 15-85mm zoom.

Magic Lantern is wonderful; worth it for the focus peaking alone.  Do make a contribution to the Magic Lantern web site when you get it; I did.

The Canon Loyalty program mentioned is a very good idea also as long as you are not the sort who seems to have very bad luck with electronics/cameras since the warranty is 90 days, not 1 year.  I keep a $5 nonworking Canon I got on the local CraigsList just in case something comes up I really need on the Loyalty Program.

Finally, the poster who noted you should consider if you will really take this much larger a camera with you all the time is correct.  There are a number of relatively high-end non-DSLR cameras that are quite good including Canon's newer models, Sony NEX (espescially the NEX 7, but with some of the good lenses for it such as the Sigma 30mm or the Zeiss 24mm it will be out of your price range), Olympus, etc.  My Panasonic LX-5 still gets lots of good photographs and high quality video, particularly of family activities, because that is the camera I can always take with me without "the camera" becoming the main "focus" of what would be a family activity.

Save some of your money for a good circular polarizing filter (pick one for the larger diameter lens and get a step-up ring for the smaller diameter lens(s)) and consider a reasonable quality tripod.  Also a few dollars for the quite reasonable quality 3rd-party aftermarket lens hoods.  I picked mine based on Amazon reviews and they work well, only lacking the inner flocking that the Canon hoods have at literally 5X or more the price.  Other items in the budget might include a brighter flash than the 60D's so you can bounce flash, etc. (Canon's are pricey but well-integrated with their system), a camera bag with some room for at least one more lens/flash than you start out with, and one of the under $10 aftermarket infrared remote trigger releases for the all-the-family portraits and macro work.

I do not shoot sports, so I can not comment on focus speed or tracking.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 04:03:24 PM by 1DSLR »

kriptikracing

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 04:09:03 PM »
nice...awesome pictures and info everyone!  60D is my camera to buy.  I'm usually a "buy new" person, but I'm willing to checkout that canon loyalty program since it's so cheap.  Anyone ever receive a lemon going that route?  For example, the camera died within a year.  LOL, it's funny how I go from one bind to another...now I'm having a hard time deciding which lens(s).  Anyone have a picture with a non-L 100mm f2.8 macro lens?  If possible, I might squeeze that lens into my price...along with a zoom lens and for sure the 50mm f1.8.  That macro lens might be a stretch though.  Don't I need a macro ring light to take macro shots?  I might be wrong so please correct me.

bkorcel

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 04:39:54 PM »
To be honest you wont paymuch more for a new one with a warranty.  The non L 100 macro is a fine lens.  I chose the L version because I want consistent color and contrast across all of my lenses.  The non-L is almost as sharp as the L model...some even claim its sharper but it's obviously so close that most wont notice.

The macro ring light is nice but not necessary.  You can use one of the other speedlights and a hotshoe extension cable to locate the light where you want it.  I use the ring light as it makes it all one unit.  My particular style of insect and wildlife macro work doesnt afford me time to get another light in place.  The ring light also has a bulb light for low light focusing.

nice...awesome pictures and info everyone!  60D is my camera to buy.  I'm usually a "buy new" person, but I'm willing to checkout that canon loyalty program since it's so cheap.  Anyone ever receive a lemon going that route?  For example, the camera died within a year.  LOL, it's funny how I go from one bind to another...now I'm having a hard time deciding which lens(s).  Anyone have a picture with a non-L 100mm f2.8 macro lens?  If possible, I might squeeze that lens into my price...along with a zoom lens and for sure the 50mm f1.8.  That macro lens might be a stretch though.  Don't I need a macro ring light to take macro shots?  I might be wrong so please correct me.

picturesbyme

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • AtlanticPicture.com
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 04:49:04 PM »
Pbase is a good source for photos...  http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/ef_100_28_macro_u

you can search for photos with a certain cam or lens at: http://www.pbase.com/cameras

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 05:10:22 PM »
Anyone have a picture with a non-L 100mm f2.8 macro lens?  If possible, I might squeeze that lens into my price...

If you want to shoot macro (actual macro when your lens nearly hits the object, not "macro" in the sense of shooting a not-so-large flower) then the 100mm non-L is great, I used it a lot. I'd advise you to get the non-L used, there are lots floating around because it's older and some people upgrade to other macro lenses (100L, 180mm). The lens is at f5.6-f8 as sharp as the 100L, and this is a good aperture with a reasonable depth of field if you want to have background blur and are not at 1:1.

The advantage of the L is that it's sharper wide open, has a little better bokeh & flares and you can dual-use it for portraits and such (it has a limiter switch *not* to go to macro in addition to the non-L "macro only" - that tells all). But the biggest advantage of the L is sealing for water, dust & sand - if you use the non-L outdoors and near the ground, be on your toes it doesn't get dirty or the wind blows sand in your direction, I killed my lens twice and then switched.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 05:10:22 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 05:24:25 PM »
Please, post your opinion and/or pictures with your 60D.  Especially if its portraits, action shots, or macro.  I'm gonna buy a 60D with the 18-200 lens before the end of June since that's when the rebates stop.  My newborn son is growing fast and I'm missing a lot of memories from a slow p&s.  I really just need reassurance that even if the 60D is 2 years old its still capable of awesome shots!  I really can't afford to wait for a 70D nor afford the price.  I'm just assuming a 70D is coming out and based on the rise in price of the new rebel.  Please help me out!

If I were going to buy a new camera today, I'd pick a T4i or a refurb 7D over the 60D.  The T4i actually autofocuses during video, has 6 fps, and has improved to the point of being better and cheaper than the 60D.   I'd also stay far away from a 18-200mm zoom.  I had one, its just OK, but superzooms are always a compromise.

Marsu42

• ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2012, 05:29:07 PM »
I had one, its just OK, but superzooms are always a compromise.

Like the 28-300L :-) ? ... well, ok, this might be a compromise due to the price tag.

PictoPete

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2012, 05:51:54 PM »
This is not the first time I've heard people saying the T4i gets 6fps. It does NOT. It gets 5fps. BIIIIG difference. I just needed to clarify that since it can be an important deal-maker/breaker for some people! :)

Hey, maybe the 70D will take the x0D line back up to 6.3fps or maybe 6.7 or 7.0??

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2012, 05:57:47 PM »
Please, post your opinion and/or pictures with your 60D.  Especially if its portraits, action shots, or macro.  I'm gonna buy a 60D with the 18-200 lens before the end of June since that's when the rebates stop.  My newborn son is growing fast and I'm missing a lot of memories from a slow p&s.  I really just need reassurance that even if the 60D is 2 years old its still capable of awesome shots!  I really can't afford to wait for a 70D nor afford the price.  I'm just assuming a 70D is coming out and based on the rise in price of the new rebel.  Please help me out!

While I don't own one of these, my nephew has one. I'd take an XXd over a newer XXXd for the better viewfinder and ergonomics (the rebel doesn't have the back wheel and doesn't have an easy way to select AF points). I'd even take a 50D over a T4i.

I own a 5D Mk II -- the model is 4 years old and just a year ago, it was the latest model. I've also owned a rebel. The 60D body feels closer to the 5DMkII than it does to the Rebel.

Changes in sensor technology are incremental,  the older body won't set you back there. The difference in image quality between the 60D and 7D is negligible (the 7D has some nice stills features but sensor performance shouldn't be a whole lot different)

As far as image quality is concerned, glass is much more important. This is where I'd recommend against your current choice -- a super zoom will not give you optimal image quality. For taking pictures of a 2 year old, I'd recommend fast lenses -- the 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8, and an f/2.8 zoom (Tamron's 17-50 if you can't afford the Canon).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 05:59:20 PM by elflord »

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2012, 06:07:43 PM »

Like the 28-300L :-) ? ... well, ok, this might be a compromise due to the price tag.
That and the weight. BTW, according to photozone's review, the 300mm f/4 and the 70-300L both leave it in the dust at 300mm.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2012, 06:07:43 PM »

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2012, 06:21:03 PM »
Right on! I'm glad you are considering my recommendation! The Canon 50mm f1.8 is a beautiful and cheap lens but FYI: you need a lot of room to back up and get the shot. That's why I've still got my 18-135mm kit. It's nice to be able zoom back to 18mm for when you are shooting in small rooms or crowded areas. However, I must say the 50mm F1.8 makes people at ease when you are shooting portraits. People won't realize how close up the shot is even though you are standing 10-15 feet away! It tends to make people more comfortable when you're not shooting up close.

If you are looking for a long zoom lens the 70mm-200mm and the 70-300mm zoom lenses are great for shooting sporting events. Be sure to get one with at LEAST an auto focus and at BEST an Image Stabilizer too. (However, most people on here will probably say that an Image Stabilizer is absolutely necessary.) Keep in mind that if the 50mm f 1.8 means you gotta stand 10 feet away to take a portrait, a 70-300mm means you gotta stand at least 15-25 feet.

I suppose it depends on what you call a portrait, but I took some pictures of my baby girl at close to minimum focus distance (about 1.5 feet) with a 50mm lens on a crop. That will give you a very tight (slightly cropped) head shot on an APS-C camera.  About 4 feet or so is far enough for a head and shoulders portrait.

You do need to stand back quite a bit to get a group shot, but it is also good for that if you have room. Using the wide end of your zoom to "zoom back to 18mm" is risky business if you're taking pictures of people -- the perspective distortion from the wide angle has an impact on proportions (it makes whatever is closer to the camera look bigger) which can produce very unflattering pictures if used indiscriminately. Used carefully on the other hand, you can get some really interesting shots, especially with a small child.

IS is only important on longer lenses (e.g. 70-200mm).

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2012, 06:29:11 PM »

yeah they compromised on the weight too :P

but I think from what I've seen of EF-S lenses the 15-85 would be my choice with your budget constraints especially if you go the CLP route then also as others have said the 100 f2.8 Macro (which can also be used for stunning portraits) its pretty long on a crop and the 50 f1.8
I dont think i've heard many people say bad things about the 15-85 and that 3 mm extra at the wide end will be quite noticeable
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2012, 06:29:11 PM »