August 31, 2014, 04:20:35 AM

Author Topic: Moving to India  (Read 8411 times)

Jettatore

Re: Moving to India
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 10:18:33 AM »
I would just keep close in your mind that it will be very hot where you are going.  It would attract less attention and be way more comfortable if you get a small system.  I  don't like the image quality from crop systems myself so I understand sticking with DSLR but you are probably going to take less photos overall and be much more stressed out about your photography than if you just get a smaller system and a few suitable lenses, or better yet, just 1 or 2 very good point and shoots.  I really don't like the look of non-landscape images from micro 4/3rds or point and shoots because they don't have the same strength and quality of shallow depth of field, but overall, if you can fake that in editing well enough, and overall get images that you are happy with, then it's definitely a smarter approach to go small and light for where you are going.  If you are not moving up to FF, then I would definitely go micro 4/3rds, without question, and get a few nice primes and maybe one standard or telephoto zoom.  Should be much cheaper too.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 10:18:33 AM »

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 10:38:58 AM »
I don't think that gear size is an issue. I have been spending a couple of weeks in Bangalore, walking for many kilometers through that city and no one bothered me, even if I was carrying a 70-200L IS f2.8 and a whole bunch of other L lenses. The much-nicer-than-at-home-climate others call heat also didn't bother me one bit  ::). You should decide for yourself, if for you this is a factor or not, since you have been visiting India before.

In general I think it will be best for you to choose the 70-300L for birding. That it is not f2.8 should not bother you too much.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 02:15:05 PM »
I can't believe you're going back...

Why? We had a great time, loved the food, people, culture etc. Also it is a growth area in our professional fields!

your wife is going to stay indoors nearly all the time?

Not likely, she is the Scientific Attaché for the French Embassy...  She got the job, and as an acadmic scientist (biophysicist/biochemist) it was not too difficult for me to find another lab there to continue my research (muscle disease in children)... So, it is not as though I’m dragging her there, nor do I think it will be a problem. :)

Of all the countries I've been to, I've never been harassed and treated as badly as I have in India. And I'm male. For women travelling alone, it is worse again.

adhocphotographer

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 04:21:51 PM »
We didn't find it too harassing, but i know a lot of people did/do.
5D MkIII + an every expanding array of lenses and accessories!
-------www.adhocphotographer.com--------

underjammer

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 04:47:27 PM »
I can't believe you're going back...

Why? We had a great time, loved the food, people, culture etc. Also it is a growth area in our professional fields!

your wife is going to stay indoors nearly all the time?

Not likely, she is the Scientific Attaché for the French Embassy...  She got the job, and as an acadmic scientist (biophysicist/biochemist) it was not too difficult for me to find another lab there to continue my research (muscle disease in children)... So, it is not as though I’m dragging her there, nor do I think it will be a problem. :)

Of all the countries I've been to, I've never been harassed and treated as badly as I have in India. And I'm male. For women travelling alone, it is worse again.

When I was in India, I got a lotttT of the "a white guy! he's 'rich' let's try to get some money out of him" in tourist-ee areas, but it got pretty repetitive (and extremely funny..) after like 2 days.. .  It wasss annoying when people would try to get in my pictures, though..  (They then expect you to "tip" them..)  But they'd do it for *everyone* with a camera..  DSLR or not.  That was about the extent of harassment I got.

There were definitely some sketchy people, but I think they pretty much gravitate toward alll tourists, in terms of "easy money", and I never felt any sense of danger.  It was fairly innocent attention.  I also started telling them off pretty quick, and they left me alone, since they knew they weren't going to get my rupees!  It was as easy as that.

(However, there are things like people-who-watch-your-shoes-for-money... And they do that for EVERYONE, not just "whitey", so in those cases you really should be paying them.)

I did get loads and loads of kids coming up to me asking for hand outs (because I'm white)..  At first it was annoying, and they would keep pestering me, but I had brought a lot of gum, so I started handing sticks of gum out, and they couldn't have been happier.  : D  No more pestering, just lots of happy kids, and they'd either want to talk to me, asking me lots of questions, follow me around curiously, or move on and get money from other people, depending on how touristy or busy the area was.  An older woman asked me for money once, as I was giving gum to some kids, so I offered her a piece, but she just gave me a dirty look, hahaha..  So I gave her some money, and THEN she reeeeally wanted the gum, too.  : D

Outside of tourist-ee areas, I got a whole lot more interest and excitement just by being a foreigner.  People were very warm and friendly, and if I had my camera out, they loved to get their picture taken and see the results on a screen.  (This was 5-6 years ago, though.)  No idea how it's changed since then..

Also, as for weather, Rajasthan and Bangalore are totally different beasts, I think?  Rajasthan was hot and dry, and was just fine..  (46 degrees c (115+ f) - no problem!).  Sure you might sweat, but you won't be soaked in it (especially carrying around a camera bag).  Hopefully Bangalore isn't has humid as Chennai!  In Chennai, it was instant-soakage and it did NOT leave you.  Oh man!  Loose clothes and loose bags.  The temps weren't nearly as hot, but the humidity was a killer.

Also, if I was stomping through heavily packed areas, like a bazaar, I wouldn't have my DSLR out, though..  Just my point-and-shoot in my pocket.  Mostly because, as someone mentioned above, the DSLR really gets in the way.  I guess if you're more aggressive and/or gung-ho you can get out there in the thick of it, but that really isn't my style, haha.  : D

I WAS paranoid of thieves trying to lift stuff from my backpack, though...  I didn't have a backpack camera bag, though..  just one at my side, and i had the zipper / flap pointed IN toward my body, so there was pretty much no way anyone could get into my bag (short of cutting it open, I guess, but I wasn't THAT paranoid, hehe..)

As for those lenses, I'd normally recommend the 70-200 over the other two, but in your case, I'm not sure..  I don't know the 70-300 size/weight..  if it's significantly smaller, mayyybe..  but I doubt it is, though I have no experience with that 70-300.  I have the 70-300 IS NON L and I also have the 55-250 ef-s.  I brought the 70-300 IS non L with me to India (the 55-250 didn't exist then), and it was great and I used it a bunch, but I don't think it really has much over the 55-250, other than full-frame coverage (which you don't have, so it's a non-issue..).  The 70-300 IS non L isn't quite as sharp at 300 as the rest of the focal range, so that extra 50mm reeeally doesn't get you much over the 55-250..  I would say it's not worth it.  And its autofocus speed isn't anything to write home about, if I recall, though I've never actually tried comparing it to the 55-250.  Buttt, I don't think I've ever tried to use the 70-300 for anything that neeeeeeded ultra autofocus, so it's never let me down, either..  (None of these lenses are really birding lenses..)  And since I know that range, personally I wouldn't bother limiting myself with the 70-300 L 5.6, when I can get the 70-200 II 2.8 and throw a 2x adapter on there for 400 5.6 if I reeally needed it (except for autofocus speed, perhaps... I'm sure the adapter will kick it below the belt in terms of autofocus, but I've never used that lens with an adapter, so I don't know.).  But that's just me.  So I'd say stick with the 55-250 or go all out with the 70-200.  Maybe give the 55-250 a shot over there, even though its falling apart..  The 55-250 I think is an awesome everyday stomping around telephoto.

Sounds like an awesome experience for you guys!  Enjoy it!  : D

RAKAMRAK

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2012, 05:52:28 PM »

Sounds like an awesome experience for you guys!  Enjoy it!  : D

+100 to what underjammer has said. I am an Indian (although right now in US for studies) and what he has said should give you a very clear picture of what to expect - the positives and the negatives.

I would emphasize that in "urban touristee" areas you shall be better (much better off) off carrying a good point and shoot (G1X, G12, S100, S95) rather than a DSLR. Because,
1. It will catch much less attention.
2. Walking through crowd will be easier.
3. You will probably not get any artistic photo which requires the quality of DSLR in those places anyway.

However, keep you DSLR for your (probable) trips to the scenic places (the Western Ghats, The Himalayas, The Nilgiri, Rajasthan, the historical (non-urban) sites, the parks and sanctuaries, and may be if you have the opportunity to Arunachal Pradesh in the North East; and some more). In this scenario, I will strongly suggest 70-300L rather than 70-200L. You might find the second one to be quite limiting in reach even with a cropped sensor.

Enjoy your stay.
Need to learn a lot more.
My Flickr Page

robbymack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2012, 12:55:48 AM »
70-200 f4 is, lighter, cheaper, and just as sharp as the 2.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2012, 12:55:48 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2012, 01:05:03 AM »
The 70-300L is shorter than both 70-200's with weight inbetween the f/4 and f/2.8II

adhocphotographer

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2012, 06:09:07 AM »
Underjammer - Wow, thanks for your reply! No matter what i will keep the 55-250 as a compact alternative, i doubt i would get much selling it in the condition it is in anyway! :)

Thank for all your posts and help. I think i am leaning towards the 70-200 2.8 (and maybe a TC if i want extra reach; i hear they works well with it)...  I will probably wait now and get it over there, the warranty is not soo much of an issue, considering we will be staying there for a minimum of 2 years, the warranty will be dead by the time we leave! :)

I'll let you all know how it goes!

John

EvilTed

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2012, 10:37:43 AM »
I've been to India 5 times and traveled from Rajasthan down the West coast to the south tip of Tamal Nadu.
My camera went with me everywhere.

I never experienced anyone trying to mug me and steal my camera but you will get a lot of people trying to scam money out of you at temples etc.

I love India and contemplated moving to Bangalore at one point in my career.
I was getting sent there for a month at a time anyway.

Bangalore is actually quite cool.
It was a British holiday town high up off the plains so it is temperate and never baking.
Because of the Brits it has a lot of cool pubs, but unfortunately they are all shut by 11pm :(

Tons of great places to visit close (and not so close) by.
On my last trip we took a cab to Hampi, stayed all night and them drove up to Badami.
11 hours a day in a cab on an India freeway is something my Indian colleagues would never do.

Enjoy and post some pictures!

ET

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2012, 02:22:13 PM »
but you will get a lot of people trying to scam money out of you at temples etc.

I don't know about you, I find this incredibly offensive.

After a couple of days, I simply didn't want to talk to any local because I simply couldn't trust anything that they said.

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2012, 07:30:14 PM »
As in many other countries there is a trick: Don't be a tourist.
I went to India strictly on business and could avoid all those bad experiences. If you stay in a good hotel, you can hire a driver from the hotel and make your tours with that driver. Mine did everything I could hope for to get me into temples and around people trying to make money for nothing. I had wonderful experiences in India.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2012, 02:47:15 AM »
I havent been to india (I would love to go though :) ) however I spend alot of time in china
and the 2 countries have similar population densities. In china I quite often found even 50mm on full frame too long. the 16-35 f2.8L II is my most used lens in these crowded places. With heavily crowded areas there simply isnt the working room to bring a 70-200 to bear.
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2012, 02:47:15 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2012, 03:25:51 AM »
I havent been to india (I would love to go though :) ) however I spend alot of time in china
and the 2 countries have similar population densities. In china I quite often found even 50mm on full frame too long. the 16-35 f2.8L II is my most used lens in these crowded places. With heavily crowded areas there simply isnt the working room to bring a 70-200 to bear.

This might be the place for the shorty forty as even on a 1 series the camera doesn't look that impressive

adhocphotographer

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2012, 07:40:57 AM »

This might be the place for the shorty forty as even on a 1 series the camera doesn't look that impressive

Got my eye on one of those too!!!  think i can sneak that thing past the misses! ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2012, 07:40:57 AM »