October 23, 2014, 05:26:08 AM

Author Topic: My photos look so dull  (Read 39703 times)

dirtcastle

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
Re: My photos look so dull
« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2013, 07:46:49 PM »
I prefer to take a challenge rather than mock.

As I was saying, a BW helps you to get rid of a bad color balance.

(Half an hour in LR.)

NotABunny's B&W edit gets my vote for best edit.

Most of the other edits I've seen do not improve the shot. Sometimes the inability to get a good edit is the result of the shot, sometimes it's due to lack of editing/post skills.

You gotta have a "feel" for this sort of thing, based on experience, observation, and intentions. People are quick to give guidelines and rules (and their own crappy edits). But you've just gotta be able to feel what's right while you're editing. No amount of suggestions will help in the long run if you don't have a good eye. BUT, if you do have a good eye, and you can tell the difference between a good shot and a bad one... then just keep practicing and you'll get it. :-)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2013, 07:46:49 PM »

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2013, 08:01:49 PM »
It's not that big of a deal.  It's a photo edit.  I love his photography.  Which by the way, the above are not his shots.

it was just a 2 minute edit.  I think I did go a bit overboard on the eyes and maybe a little to much skin smoothing, but I wasn't really going for perfection (or maybe going for too much perfection...).  Thanks for the compliment though.

No seriously, your HDR stuff I can only dream of someday doing.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

vuilang

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2013, 08:24:52 PM »
If im not mistaken.. You took those pic with just natural light.. and the pic you posted took by others are used Off Camera Flash(s) OCF.... so that's the different

quartzie

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 29, 2013, 09:09:08 PM »
Its not about the composition or anything but the lighting in this just looks so good to me. It looks so bright and the shadows are so soft. Like so awesome contrast and colors.

Thanks already

Since you seem correctly fascinated by the light in the photos, here's my 5c:
a) look at flash photography - but be aware that the color of your flash will often clash with other sources of light.
b) try to look at light modifiers, especially a very simple, cheap and effective one - bounce board. There are several collapsible reflectors  available online, with a white/silver/gold coating for changing the expression of the light. These will do wonders for all those dark facial shadows, while keeping the soft light quality provided by an overcast sky. If you use the golden film side, you can get very nice, warm light even under a dreary English sky.
They also rarely run out of batteries :D

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #79 on: May 29, 2013, 10:47:34 PM »
Post-processing helps, of course, but ... it is all about light. Shoot vibrant and colorful scenes, and you will get vibrant and colorful photos. As a poster above said, you have to have an eye for color; you have to be able to say which scene will make a great shot, and which - not so much.

@!ex

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2013, 12:47:21 AM »
Its always easier to shoot it right than to fix it in post. This image is challenging due to the unflattering shadows on the face. OP should try to fill these in a little with flash or a reflector.
You have completely changed the subject's face, and honestly, it looks a little disturbing and alien-like.  Go easy on the brushes.  Sorry to be critical, but it just looks really strange.

+1, wtf happened.   Looks like a creepy mannequin now.  I had to do a double take because I thought it was a joke at first...

@!ex

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2013, 12:57:19 AM »
Speaking of joking...  (look closely, you will recognize the face..)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2013, 12:57:19 AM »

hockeyandbeer

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2013, 02:49:17 PM »
My apologies for two things:

1. Piggybacking off this thread (my problem I think is related so I posted here as not to clog up the forums)
2. I am a new poster, so therefore I am probably going to make a mistake (wrong forum, topic is exhausted, etc.)

I always get nervous to post because it seems like some are overly critical, and I really just need some help to push me forward instead of getting me frustrated and putting my camera away indefinitely.  Someone else was taking photos w/ a Nikon at this event and even though hers were a little color-casted they came out extremely more vibrant than mine SOOC.

I seem to have the problem of the super dull flat photos coming straight out of camera.  I shoot on 'faithful' as I have read they are the truest colors.  For more "important" stuff I shoot raw but this photo in particular was jpeg.  This was outside on a very sunny day with some cloud cover at times. 

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1044462_299052293572024_1648139847_n.jpg

I tried to follow some of the steps in this forum, but found that I obviously am doing something wrong as the photo either gets completely washed out or the skin does.  The "Auto Color" helped a bit, however, could someone help me by showing me their edit?  And most importantly, how they adjusted the level or curve to make the difference? 

I feel like I have a lot of decent shots that I never post because I never had any help on "proper" workflow to color correct photos.  I could really use some guidance.

Thanks in advance.

@!ex

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2013, 03:37:22 PM »
My apologies for two things:

1. Piggybacking off this thread (my problem I think is related so I posted here as not to clog up the forums)
2. I am a new poster, so therefore I am probably going to make a mistake (wrong forum, topic is exhausted, etc.)

I always get nervous to post because it seems like some are overly critical, and I really just need some help to push me forward instead of getting me frustrated and putting my camera away indefinitely.  Someone else was taking photos w/ a Nikon at this event and even though hers were a little color-casted they came out extremely more vibrant than mine SOOC.

I seem to have the problem of the super dull flat photos coming straight out of camera.  I shoot on 'faithful' as I have read they are the truest colors.  For more "important" stuff I shoot raw but this photo in particular was jpeg.  This was outside on a very sunny day with some cloud cover at times. 

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1044462_299052293572024_1648139847_n.jpg

I tried to follow some of the steps in this forum, but found that I obviously am doing something wrong as the photo either gets completely washed out or the skin does.  The "Auto Color" helped a bit, however, could someone help me by showing me their edit?  And most importantly, how they adjusted the level or curve to make the difference? 

I feel like I have a lot of decent shots that I never post because I never had any help on "proper" workflow to color correct photos.  I could really use some guidance.

Thanks in advance.

I went ahead and gave it a quick (less then 5 min) boost in post.  I usually start with levels, then curves, then any type of hue adjustment (you had a bit of a green cast), then lens effects (vignette, distortion), noise (none in this one), then doge and burn to my liking and sometimes a bit of levels again at the end.  One of the main reasons I don't find lightroom  adequate is the lack of levels adjustments, lame.  I use both aperture and lightroom (as they both have some advantages over each other) for minor tweaks, but most major stuff is done in PS.  Hope that at least helps a little

hockeyandbeer

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2013, 03:47:45 PM »
Thank you, that does look better - Any tips for the magical adjustment of curves and layers?  I never know if I am doing it enough.

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2013, 08:55:24 AM »
My attempt using Snapseed on my iPad....it's free(from Nic software) and works pretty well.

5 minutes max.

The original and then the edit
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 02:55:03 PM by Northstar »
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 05, 2013, 01:19:01 PM »
This is a joke right?

There is nothing in these settings that cannot be done in post. They will serve you almost nothing.
Plus, In cloudy days less contrast and saturation that for standard shooting? This is certainly a joke!

gferdinandsen

• EOS M2
  • was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker
    • View Profile
    • Home
« Reply #87 on: August 05, 2013, 01:26:08 PM »
This is a joke right?

There is nothing in these settings that cannot be done in post. They will serve you almost nothing.
Plus, In cloudy days less contrast and saturation that for standard shooting? This is certainly a joke!

+1  You can achieve a much better result shooting in RAW and doing post-processing.  This chart looks like it for an absolute beginner with no knowledge of post processing.
1v HS, 5D3, 60 Da, 40D (IR), G1-X, 17-40L, 24-70L (Mk II), 24-105L, 70-200L (2.8 Mk 1), 24 TS-E L (Mk 1), 45 TS-E, 50 1.2L, 100 L Macro -- CPS Gold Membership

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: August 05, 2013, 01:26:08 PM »

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 05, 2013, 02:17:07 PM »
Sorry, Sir, Dear Tron and Dear Gferdinandsen.
 I already remove my post, Sorry, I am wrong, Because, When some one ask how to Fixed the Dull Photos, And I think that person need help,  like me in the Past, I just offer my two cents lesson from my Photography Teacher= and I forget ,that  Lesson just for the Beginner like Me.
Sorry Sir, Yes, Now I know that most of the Members on this Post are the PRO.
I will not post the stupid Ideas, for the beginner like that any more.
Surapon Sujjavanich, AIA, CPS . Gold Member.
Apex, NC., USA.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 03:30:52 PM by surapon »

cnardo

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2013, 06:19:00 PM »
Surapon....

I, for one, would appreciate it if you re-post your hand written class notes. I didn’t not have time to looks at them and try it out for myself. While shooting in Raw gives you complete flexibility in POST, these might be handy for the “kids party/family gathering” photos so many of us get asked to do.

Thanks…
5D3, SL1, M1 and more lenses than I know what to do with! Been shooting w/Canon since 1985.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2013, 06:19:00 PM »