November 22, 2017, 03:48:14 PM

Author Topic: Any Thing shot with a 1Dx  (Read 1175000 times)

bornshooter

• EOS 5D Mark IV
  • Love L series glass
    • my flickr
Re: Any Thing shot with a 1Dx
« Reply #1695 on: September 21, 2013, 12:24:14 PM »

Awesome shot,our thread just get's better :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #1695 on: September 21, 2013, 12:24:14 PM »

bornshooter

• EOS 5D Mark IV
  • Love L series glass
    • my flickr
« Reply #1696 on: September 21, 2013, 12:24:53 PM »
Some more eagle images.
Excellent series sharp shot :-)

Lemmy Shoyu

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #1697 on: September 21, 2013, 01:25:30 PM »
Thanks!

Nirmala

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #1698 on: September 21, 2013, 03:54:17 PM »
Thanks!

Hey Lemmy, looks like that 24mm works well. Do you shoot with anything wider to get your barrel shots. I'm slowly saving  for a housing for my 1DX but unsure which UWA lens to also add. I have used and own the Tokina 10-17mm but I'm not really interested in the fisheye look anymore. I have a 35mm but not sure that would be wide enough. I was thinking about the 14mm. Have you had any experience using this lens for your surf shots? What could you recommend? Thanks.

eml58

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • 1Dx
« Reply #1699 on: September 21, 2013, 08:23:00 PM »
Dawn, Tanzania March 2013

1DX 400f/2.8, Shot @ f/2.8 & 1/1250th ISO800

Excellent as usual....how close do you estimate you were Edward?

Around 20 meters, this Guy was up a Tree but we were able to sit on a small rise and with the added height of the vehicle almost shoot at the same level, I had the 200-400f/4 with me also, but chose to shoot the 400f/2.8 as it was just light at Dawn, the f/2.8 does have it's advantages, but, the Leopard more than filled the frame, so the 200-400 would have allowed me to get the whole the subject in the Frame, at the cost of higher ISO, or move the vehicle.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

eml58

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • 1Dx
« Reply #1700 on: September 21, 2013, 08:30:15 PM »

WOW! stunning eml,can i ask what software you use for editing?b&w here is stunning :)

Hi Bornshooter, NIK's Silver Effex Pro 2, Started with the attached colour Image in LR5, applied several of the Presets in Silver Effex Pro 2, and made some local adjustments in PS CC around the Head & Eyes.

I bit the bullet and am now working in the Adobe Cloud, other than it seems murky in here, not sure there's any change really from LR4 & CS6, other than my wallets now slimmer.

eml58

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • 1Dx
« Reply #1701 on: September 21, 2013, 08:41:22 PM »
Beautiful B&W. Well done Edward. I love it.

Awesome! A beautiful portrait of a leopard.

Thanks Guys, only thing that compares with being there & taking the shots is the appreciation of others of the Images, Thank You.

I constantly feel fortunate in being able to Travel to these places & see first hand the extraordinary glimpses that exists out there and the opportunity to steal that glimpse with a Photograph.

Now I have a headache from all that "deepness".

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #1701 on: September 21, 2013, 08:41:22 PM »

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #1702 on: September 21, 2013, 08:47:21 PM »

WOW! stunning eml,can i ask what software you use for editing?b&w here is stunning :)

Hi Bornshooter, NIK's Silver Effex Pro 2, Started with the attached colour Image in LR5, applied several of the Presets in Silver Effex Pro 2, and made some local adjustments in PS CC around the Head & Eyes.

I bit the bullet and am now working in the Adobe Cloud, other than it seems murky in here, not sure there's any change really from LR4 & CS6, other than my wallets now slimmer.
When I saw the B&W pic I thought I'd like it much more than the colour one. But seeing this one now, I like them both equally. I guess it is the intense stare that is captivating and if you look at it the colours are kind of monotonic except fro the bit of blue between the trees...

Click

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
« Reply #1703 on: September 21, 2013, 08:52:24 PM »

The colour version is awesome also. Very nice job Sir!  8)

serendipidy

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #1704 on: September 21, 2013, 10:21:40 PM »

The colour version is awesome also. Very nice job Sir!  8)

+1. I usually love colour. To my eyes, B&W is just so...monochromatic ;)
EOS 5D3, EOS 7D II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM

eml58

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • 1Dx
« Reply #1705 on: September 21, 2013, 10:46:11 PM »
When I saw the B&W pic I thought I'd like it much more than the colour one. But seeing this one now, I like them both equally. I guess it is the intense stare that is captivating and if you look at it the colours are kind of monotonic except fro the bit of blue between the trees...

Thanks RPT, the B&W was interesting in that it does make the eyes stand out more, another advantage of the f/2.8 as long as you nail the eyes and in this case both eyes ended up in focus, almost.

gary samples

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #1706 on: September 21, 2013, 11:41:41 PM »

wonderful work
wall hanger for sure

eml58

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • 1Dx
« Reply #1707 on: September 21, 2013, 11:57:23 PM »
Tanzania March 2013.

Just messing about, Shot through Green Foliage.

1Dx 400f2.8, Shot @ f/2.8 & 1/500th ISO200

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #1707 on: September 21, 2013, 11:57:23 PM »

Lemmy Shoyu

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #1708 on: September 22, 2013, 01:25:05 AM »
. . . Do you shoot with anything wider to get your barrel shots. I'm slowly saving  for a housing for my 1DX but unsure which UWA lens to also add. I have used and own the Tokina 10-17mm but I'm not really interested in the fisheye look anymore. I have a 35mm but not sure that would be wide enough. I was thinking about the 14mm. Have you had any experience using this lens for your surf shots? What could you recommend? Thanks.

I’m thinking about getting the 14mm as well.   " . . . corrected for rectilinear distortion, provides a 114-degree diagonal angle of view . . . "

The only lenses I’ve used in the water in the digital era have been the 24 and the 85.  Years past, I had fisheye lenses in housings but felt that they had some drawbacks.  Making a dome port for a fisheye is more technical than making a flat port.  In order to create a correct image, the center of the lens needs to be concentric with the center of the sphere in the dome port.  When done right, there are lots of neat underwater shots and over / under the surface shots possible but most surf housing manufacturers aren’t doing the hard math and the results are hit and miss.  If you google “underwater fisheye virtual image” there’s a wealth of information on the subject.

Also, I’m usually shooting small, mushy waves and need the compression of a telephoto lens to make the waves look steeper.  A wide angle flattens the wave but a fisheye really pulls the plug.  Since ultra wide and fisheye photos look farther away, you need to get extremely close to make the surfer figure prominently in the composition of the photo.  Finally, there are a glut of fisheye and ultra-wide photos from GoPro’s and other POV cameras so it’s hard to make your images look different from a million others.  You’ll find a lot of input from shooters with fisheye and ultra-wide angle lenses here:

http://www.surfphotographersunited.com/forum/

Looking forward to seeing your photos - hope this helps?

Nirmala

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #1709 on: September 22, 2013, 01:56:48 AM »
. . . Do you shoot with anything wider to get your barrel shots. I'm slowly saving  for a housing for my 1DX but unsure which UWA lens to also add. I have used and own the Tokina 10-17mm but I'm not really interested in the fisheye look anymore. I have a 35mm but not sure that would be wide enough. I was thinking about the 14mm. Have you had any experience using this lens for your surf shots? What could you recommend? Thanks.

I’m thinking about getting the 14mm as well.   " . . . corrected for rectilinear distortion, provides a 114-degree diagonal angle of view . . . "

The only lenses I’ve used in the water in the digital era have been the 24 and the 85.  Years past, I had fisheye lenses in housings but felt that they had some drawbacks.  Making a dome port for a fisheye is more technical than making a flat port.  In order to create a correct image, the center of the lens needs to be concentric with the center of the sphere in the dome port.  When done right, there are lots of neat underwater shots and over / under the surface shots possible but most surf housing manufacturers aren’t doing the hard math and the results are hit and miss.  If you google “underwater fisheye virtual image” there’s a wealth of information on the subject.

Also, I’m usually shooting small, mushy waves and need the compression of a telephoto lens to make the waves look steeper.  A wide angle flattens the wave but a fisheye really pulls the plug.  Since ultra wide and fisheye photos look farther away, you need to get extremely close to make the surfer figure prominently in the composition of the photo.  Finally, there are a glut of fisheye and ultra-wide photos from GoPro’s and other POV cameras so it’s hard to make your images look different from a million others.  You’ll find a lot of input from shooters with fisheye and ultra-wide angle lenses here:

http://www.surfphotographersunited.com/forum/

Looking forward to seeing your photos - hope this helps?

Thanks Lemmy, for the info and links. Will certainly be looking at spu and learning more. As I only shoot as a hobby and my own pleasure it might be while before I can outlay for another housing and lens. I used to shoot with a 40D with the Tokina 10-17 fisheye lens in a SPL housing witih results I was happy with as an amature. I do miss shooting from the water as  a surfer of 30+ years its a good way to keep fit and be out there still. Getting a little older and slower in the surfing department though..lol I understand about getting close and the saturation in the market of like shots. Setting yourself apart is difficult in the surf industry.. I agree about your previous comment and Clarke little 's amazing images. I can only aspire to create something half as good.. Anyway will also look forward to seeing more of your surf shots here.. I enjoy them a lot as its certainly where my interest lies...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #1709 on: September 22, 2013, 01:56:48 AM »