July 30, 2014, 12:24:40 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS M Specs  (Read 31374 times)

Richard8971

• 7D
  • "There is no spoon" - Neo
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS M Specs
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2012, 04:17:09 PM »
Ah... another APS-C 18MP sensor from Canon. Is it just me or did Canon get a ship-load of these at some bargan center and now they have to find some way to unload them all??? :)

j/k

D
Canon 5D2, 7Dv2.03, 50D, 40D, T1i, XTi...XT (& lenses, flahses), various powershots... You get the idea... I have a problem. :)

Wife shoots Nikon, D7000, D7100, (lenses and flashes)... we constantly tease each other that our cameras are better than each others!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2012, 04:17:09 PM »

Richard8971

• 7D
  • "There is no spoon" - Neo
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2012, 04:21:03 PM »
I have no idea what the price will be - Canon's been fairly high lately though. I would like it if the price is competitive but would not be surprised if its released at over a grand u.s.d. (including glass).

Uh, I can't imagine that it would cost more than the T4i. I would imagine that it would be priced above the T3 and somewhere below the G1 X.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 04:25:05 PM by Richard8971 »
Canon 5D2, 7Dv2.03, 50D, 40D, T1i, XTi...XT (& lenses, flahses), various powershots... You get the idea... I have a problem. :)

Wife shoots Nikon, D7000, D7100, (lenses and flashes)... we constantly tease each other that our cameras are better than each others!

c.d.embrey

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2012, 04:26:24 PM »

I need to replace my old compact (Canon S70), and now see plenty of good options ..... just a case of the physical size vs image quality compromise from Canon S100 to Sony RX100 to Panasonic GX1+20mm to Canon EOS-M?

The Canon S100 and Sony RX100 are the only two that will actually fit in the front pocket of a pair of 501s (my Yashica T3 FFFilm P&S just barely fits) If you wear baggies, than either the Gx1 + 20mm or the Canon EF-M + 22mm will fit, 'cause the NEX 5n + 16mm does :)

Hard decision.

hmmm

« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2012, 04:30:05 PM »
Canon deserves a lot of credit for releasing its mirrorless as APS-C.    Even if one doesn't go for the initial offering, the sensor is large enough to support future models that may be more compelling.

But it all comes down to price.   Canon released the G1X with a nice size sensor -- a model I'd been waiting for as the next evolution of the G series -- at about $200 too high.  Pass.

Canon released a new 24 2.8 ef lens at last -- an upgrade I'd been waiting for for years -- priced about $300 too high.   Pass.

Now Canon is releasing this system and it could be useful and a bit of fun.  But if the price is too high: Pass.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2012, 04:30:07 PM »
Please could someone clarify for me how this camera does phase detect AF. Is there some kind of technical white paper I could read to help me understand it? Thanks.

There is no white paper for a camera that is not yet officially announced.
Right now, the assumption is that the technology used in the T4i is also used in this camera, but its merely a guess.  It does seem likely that it uses the same sensor and Hybrid AF.  This means slow AF with EF and EF-s lenses, and faster AF with STM lenses. Likely about the same as a typical P&S.
Here is one of the better descriptions, but there is no white paper. 
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-650d-rebel-t4i/3/#Hybrid

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2012, 04:46:24 PM »

While not addressing this camera specifically, here are two suggestions:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/07/autofocus-reality-part-1-center-point-single-shot-accuracy

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/07/autofocus-reality-part-ii-1-vs-2-and-old-vs-new

I find them helpful.

Please could someone clarify for me how this camera does phase detect AF. Is there some kind of technical white paper I could read to help me understand it? Thanks.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2012, 04:54:45 PM »
I have to say, I really don't understand the mirrorless DSLR concept. Who buys these things?

Also - is there a reason why Canon does not offer 720 at 30p video on any of their cameras? I don't need 1080, but I don't want 60p for some shots. Plus I would think you can shoot more on a card at 720/30.

The concept is simple, its a middle camera between point and shoot and DSLR with some good points of both, and a few not so good ones like poor or no viewfinders.
So far this year (Thru May), $42.9 million U.S. dollars worth of mirrorless have been shipped.  ( http://www.cipa.jp/english/data/dizital.html )
So its a step up for P&S users.  DSLR sales are rising dramatically this year, while P&S sales numbers are falling slightly.  This likely means that many users are going for mirrorless rather than a P&S.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2012, 04:54:45 PM »

arcanej

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2012, 05:05:25 PM »
Mt Spokane, I believe the units are in 1,000 yen. So ¥42.9 billion would Be about $547 million at ¥78.46 to the dollar.

preppyak

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2012, 05:05:53 PM »
1. With any lens, it is not pocketable.
2. Requires company to make an entirely new set of lenses on a new mount.

What kind of customer is best suited for this niche?
The same one who is suited for a G1x or the entry DSLR really..its smart for companies because its still a small form factor that makes it convenient to travel, but you can milk customers for money on lenses in a way you can't with the G1x.

Maybe in 5 years Canon will actually have the mirrorless thing figured out and I'll be interested, but, with all the likely problems of a first time system on top of the usual problems for early adopters, I think it'll be best to wait and see how it turns out.

arcanej

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2012, 05:12:31 PM »
I for one am very interested. My wife and I love the 5DIII and have thought about buying a second body so she could have one to herself. However, she finds the form factor a little large for her to carry around all day. The idea that we could buy a point-and-shoot sized second camera with an APS-C sensor that can utilize our existing lens has its appeal.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2012, 05:14:47 PM »
I'm wondering if this would make a good astrophotography camera......

My first thought also

Not in the same way that the 60Da or 20Da will.

Why?

The filters in front of the sensor for both of those cameras has been tuned with respect to the light frequencies that astrophotographers required.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2012, 05:18:01 PM »

Presumably, the same way the T4i/650D does PDAF during video (when the mirror is up).  There are several clusters of photosites on the CMOS image sensor that are dedicated to phase AF (and not used for imaging). 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

thejoyofsobe

« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2012, 05:23:53 PM »
I'm curious as to what kind of fps and buffer size for shooting RAW we're talking about here. it needs to be better than the G1X.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2012, 05:23:53 PM »

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2012, 05:41:54 PM »
For those who don't get this camera, let me suggest that we may not understand the generational and cultural differences.

For old American guys like me, a viewfinder is non-negotiable. But for many people, especially the young, who shoot mostly with smartphones, the idea of sticking your eye up against the back of the camera is equally foreign and unnatural.

Over the last couple of years, I've often scratched my head at some of Canon's product announcements. But, I've also learned that they seldom get the market wrong. I expect this one to be a big winner.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

max

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2012, 06:11:19 PM »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2012, 06:11:19 PM »