Is Canon officially announcing two cameras in May?

David - Sydney

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 7, 2014
www.flickr.com
It seems English canon rumors have not talked about it.
R1 will support CFexpress type b 4.0. The camera has 3000MB/s writing speed.
This news is from Taiwan memory card company which is ready to sell CFexpress type b 4.0. So R1 bandwidth is large enough ro over 120fps.
I hope R5ii will support this also.
tl;dr Canon will choose to support various standards when reasonably priced chipsets are available. They will not choose bleeding edge (expensive chipsets) technology when not essential.

CFe 2.0 was released in 1Q19... 5 quarters before R5 released ie sufficient time for chipset manufacturers to have reasonable priced chips/cards/capacity.
=> Canon needed the bandwidth of CFe B cards (vs SD UHSii or CF Flash) to support internal 8k30 raw recording (including R5C 8k60 recording)
=> If my calculations are correct, R5 buffer clearance speed is currently under 1GB/s for 12fps/14bit compared to CFe sustained write speeds at ~1.4GB/s. The processor is the limitation not the card.
https://www.the-digital-picture.com...-R6-Buffer-Capacity-During-High-Speed-Capture

CFe 4 released 3Q23... 3 quarters before R5ii release. Card slot dimensions are the same so it is the chipset/processor bus that is the difference
CFE 4 cards only needed IF the R5ii sensor resolution was increased, 14 bit @ 20fps and wanted the ability to have unlimited buffer. 1D/R3/R1 only have had unlimited buffers in the past.

"CFexpress 4.0 is designed to maintain certain power consumption targets to help improve the adoption" but the max current for type B is 3A which is higher than CFe 2.
Thermal hotspot is a significant issue for the R5 and any future hybrid body.
=> If heat generation is better and higher write speed needed then CFe 4 support is worthwhile.

Canon chose not to use the HDMI 2.1 chipset (released 2017) limiting the external recording speed ie no 8k30 raw or 4k120 external recording. Why is a good question!
If the Ninja V+ 8k prores raw was available at release and/or real internal temperature measurements were used or if higher internal temperatures were allowed or RAW light recording options at the beginning then => no overheating issues.

For comparison....

Sony choose CFe Type A card specs in A1 (and others) due to:
- Sony also makes the memory cards (a la Memory Stick in the past)
- Combining SD UHSii cards and CFe Type A card slots was possible and fits into their form factor
- Fast SD UHS-II cards can record the A1's fastest video speeds.
- The CFe A cards would only clear the buffer faster for stills => very few users needed to use CFe A cards... plus they are much more expensive and lower capacity than CFe B cards
- Heat generation of the card usage is lower and Sony allowed higher internal temperature to avoid the dreaded 'overheating' debarcle

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

David - Sydney

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 7, 2014
www.flickr.com
It's in the R5 specs listed on Canon Europe: "RAW: RAW, C-RAW 14 bit (14-bit with Mechanical shutter and Electronic 1st Curtain, 13-bit A/D conversion with H+ mode, 12-bit A/D conversion with Electronic shutter, Canon original RAW 3rd edition)." Same source lists for the R8, "RAW: RAW, C-RAW 14 bit (14-bit A/D conversion with Electronic 1st-Curtain, 12-bit A/D conversion with Electronic shutter, Canon original RAW 3rd edition)." The R6II specs match the R8.
Yep, that's the one. Doesn't seem to be listed on other Canon websites or user guides for some reason.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
how is rolling shutter in ES mode on the R8?
I honestly don't know, since I only use it in EFCS. The R8 is my travel camera, and my travel shooting is mainly architecture, some landscapes, blue hour long exposures, and occasional posed shots of family. The fastest-moving thing I've shot with my R8 was a mangy-looking cat wandering lazily through a plaza in the Neapolis in Siracusa on Sicily. Basically, nothing requiring a high frame rate (for that, I have my R3).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
What adds to the intrigue is that the CanonUSA post about the upcoming announcement was deleted by CanonUSA

I hope that blows some wind into the rumour sails. ;)
I think that is Canon's marketing team realizing that their post is inadvertently generating attention that is distracting from what they are trying to promote -- a partnership with the Ryan Seacrest Foundation, where Canon is donating some equipment / expertise in exchange for some publicity.

Upvote 0
I think that is Canon's marketing team realizing that their post is inadvertently generating attention that is distracting from what they are trying to promote -- a partnership with the Ryan Seacrest Foundation, where Canon is donating some equipment / expertise in exchange for some publicity.
Of course, that would be the most sensible explanation.
But we're on the rumours site, it doesn't work like that here.

Upvote 0
I don't think it's gonna be a lower model since that one's already filled by the R8. The R6III theory also makes no sense to me.
I'm still sticking with my theory (or maybe wishful thinking) that it's gonna be a retro-styled model based on a current model. If it's really gonna be FF, it might be an R6II with retro-housing. It might also be a Powershot with a bigger sensor, like the G1X.

Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
There were a lot of ticked off people with how the EOS R5 information freely flowed.
Speaking for myself, the only thing I was ticked off by in the pre-announcements was the strong emphasis on 8K video, which turned out to highly misleading in that the R5 as launched could only record a few minutes before seriously overheating. Sorry to roast that old chestnut again, but the quoted comment reminded me!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
It seems that a few people desperately want such a camera. That doesn't mean that Canon desperately needs to make one.
It could create a massive dilemma for me. I still have my Canon gear and use it for Monday to Friday work, but I have pretty much totally switched to an OM-1 plus 150-400 and 90 macro for the photography I enjoy at the weekend. A new R7 with the spec it should have had in the first place (IMNSHO) could be an OM-1 beater, but that would still leave the need for lenses...

Upvote 0

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015
I don't think it's gonna be a lower model since that one's already filled by the R8. The R6III theory also makes no sense to me.
I'm still sticking with my theory (or maybe wishful thinking) that it's gonna be a retro-styled model based on a current model. If it's really gonna be FF, it might be an R6II with retro-housing. It might also be a Powershot with a bigger sensor, like the G1X.

what is with this retro crap, its a fad , leave these cameras in the past, seriously

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Here’s the full story of the kid with the camera: https://www.usa.canon.com/newsroom/2024/20240507-rsf

Not a teaser of anything whatsoever.
Thank you for posting the full article. I did find it interesting that Canon mentioned the model of the camera in 3 of the 4 photos in the Photo Gallery section. They did not mention the model of the camera that is being held in the photo posted previously, which suggests that it could be a camera yet to be released.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
Thank you for posting the full article. I did find it interesting that Canon mentioned the model of the camera in 3 of the 4 photos in the Photo Gallery section. They did not mention the model of the camera that is being held in the photo posted previously, which suggests that it could be a camera yet to be released.
I think we had identified the camera that the boy was holding as a R5 + an RF 50L, except he had an old Canon 7D strap attached to it.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

Canon Rumors Premium
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
I still find it strange that @Canon Rumors Guy uses a different, subscription-required platform for rumours and site updates.

Thanks to Elon being so thin-skinned, people without a twitter account can’t see recent tweets, nor get a chronological timeline.

I wish CR would totally leave that site. I don't update or follow anyone directly anymore on X.
But still have my account, and can't resist opening the CR feed once in a while because I know CR sometimes slip a few extra hints and updates in their feed.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0