November 20, 2014, 09:47:00 PM

Author Topic: Upgrade from my T3i Need Advice!!  (Read 5011 times)

AdamB

Upgrade from my T3i Need Advice!!
« on: July 29, 2012, 09:25:48 PM »
So I just sold my T3i and want to upgrade my body. I shoot primarily video, but am venturing into sports photography as well and want a perfect camera for both. Should I get the 7D? 5D Mark II? or wait and hope Canon announces a sub $2000 Full Frame dslr with the speed of the 7D?  :-\ :-\ :)

canon rumors FORUM

Upgrade from my T3i Need Advice!!
« on: July 29, 2012, 09:25:48 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrade from my T3i Need Advice!!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 09:30:27 PM »
7D sounds best, but IQ (as far as the sensor goes) will be the same as the T3i.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 10:00:58 PM »
You might also consider a used 1D MK IV, its very good at video and sports both, and can be had in the 3600-4000 range.
The 7D has fast AF, but as light gets low, the need for fast shutter speeds means cranking up the ISO.  In low light, ISO 3200 can be pretty noisy, but 1600 is ok.
You can use a 1D MK IV at ISO 12800 with NR.

drmikeinpdx

• Canon 6D
  • Celebrating 20 years of naughty photography!
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Boudoir Photo
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 10:52:14 PM »
Why did you sell your T3i?  What wasn't it doing that you needed it to do?
Current bodies:  5D3, 7D, 550D, S100
Favorite lenses: 135 f/2.0 L, 85 f/1.8 200 f/2.8 L, 50 f1.4 Sigma, 40mm pancake, 24-105 L.
blog:   http://www.BeyondBoudoirPhoto.com

dhofmann

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 02:54:40 AM »
Do you want autofocus for video? And do you shoot indoor or outdoor sports, daytime or nighttime, and how close can you get to the action?
t2i

AdamB

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 08:19:29 AM »
I sold my T3i because it was lacking in autofocus speed, and build quality (not weatherproof, etc) and @Mt Spokane Photography I would buy a 1D series but i only have $2100 to spend!!

96Brigadier

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 09:55:13 AM »
So I just sold my T3i and want to upgrade my body. I shoot primarily video, but am venturing into sports photography as well and want a perfect camera for both. Should I get the 7D? 5D Mark II? or wait and hope Canon announces a sub $2000 Full Frame dslr with the speed of the 7D?  :-\ :-\ :)

Assuming by speed you mean frames per second.... I can't imagine Canon would ever release a sub $2000 full frame dslr with the speed of the 7D when the 5DIII doesn't have that speed and costs over $3000.

If it were me I'd either save a bit longer and get the 5DIII or just wait a few months and see what happens for announcements in September.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 09:55:13 AM »

M.ST

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 10:20:55 AM »
Canon will definitely not announce a sub $2000 full frame dslr with the speed of the 7D, because they lose 5D Mark III customers.

Wait for the 70D APS-C-Kamera, buy the 5D Mark III or buy a used 1D Mark IV if price is no problem.

If you often shot sports, action or wildlife, then you need a fast DSLR. If you shot occasional sports, action or wildlife the 5D Mark III is good enough.

If you want a very fast DSLR with good image quality get the 1D X.

Remember: When you use a 5D Mark III or 1D X, then you need a fast and expensive CF-card.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 10:25:09 AM by M.ST »

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 10:33:33 AM »
I sold my T3i because it was lacking in autofocus speed, and build quality (not weatherproof, etc) and @Mt Spokane Photography I would buy a 1D series but i only have $2100 to spend!!
Yeah, then I think you would likely find the rumored Canon full-frame to be a little lacking based on build; the rumors were that it was going to be more plastic than metal in the body, so probably similar to say a 60D build quality. I'd be surprised if it was as weatherproof as the 7D body.

So, you'd get the AF of the 7D, and the benefits of full-frame, but probably not the build. If you liked the video the T3i provided, but not the pictures, than the 7D is probably your answer. If you didn't like the video, then you're probably looking at saving up more and getting a 5dIII

paul13walnut5

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 11:41:33 AM »
Ok. lets talk lenses for a moment.

What did you have for your t3i?  Full frame EF or cropped sensor EF-s...?

Obviously this will mean a choice do you keep your lenses or do you upgrade them as well.

For sports you want fast AF, and you want a fast bright aperture as this a) REALLY helps your cameras AF, no matter what camera you buy, and B) generally gives you sharper pictures per aperture....

If you currently have anything with a variable max aperture such as f3.5-5.6 then for sports you want rid...

You want f2.8 USM L zooms, or f2.0, f1.8, f1.4 USM primes.  These are the fast lenses which will get the most out of your camera...  Slow aperture lenses coupled to the best body are still going to be slow aperture lenses.

So this requires some thought.

Heres my take on a body..

The T3i AF is a bit basic for sport.  I have a T3i and just don't use it this way.  I did with my XTi.  If you select centre AF spot only, and use only AiServo AF mode, with a fast USM lens (I had the 200mm f2.8L II at the time) then with the right technique (focus point subject tracking for a few seconds prior to first shot, multiple frame rate, stick to JPEG where you can) THEN you can get ok sports shots from a Rebel.   In fact you can get pretty decent individual sports shots from a rebel.   This worked for me for speedway motorcycling, jetski's, soccer. 

By individual I mean from a burst of 10 you may get 3 keepers.

The other point to make is that being APS-C the XTi and my current cameras wrangle that extra reach out a lens as well..   My 200 became a 320 f2.8 equivalent, my current 100mm f2 becomes a 160mm f2.0 equivalent, and my 70-200 becomes a 115-320 f2.8 equivalent.

Fast lenses with great reach for sports.  And not totally out there money (the 100 f2.0 is quite modestly priced...)

The 7D ticks the weatherproof box, it has more than double the frame rate, a forthcoming firmware upgrade is going to expand further its burst depth, and add the all important manual controls to the audio.

The 7D has two image processors but also a third dedicated AF processor.   This was a first outside the 1 series at the time of launch.  This lets you tweak AiServo response and bahviour, which for sports is essential.  You will waste a few shots setting the camera up, but once youhave, it becomes very much your camera.  Your keeper rate will jump up massively with the right technique.

And it makes it by far the better sports camera over the 5D2.

You will need new batteries, and new memory cards BUT perhaps not new lenses (although you may need these in any case)

If you were happy with the 5D2 AF (not a dedicated sports camera, but again with the right lenses, & more cross points ) then you would as likely be happy with the AF and burst depth on the T4i...

But with the benefits of the lens cropping, the benefit that your batteries and cards from the T3i will fit...

If you want weatherproof buy a Kata raincoat.

I also think the cropped sensor bodies are better in some regards for video than the 5D2...   They exhibit less rolling shutter and critical focus is easier. 

So the money is on the 7D...  your dream camera sounds like the 5D3...  Canon aren't going to substantially undercut that with anything remotely similar.

But almost important, if not more important, is the right glass.

I'd rather shoot sports with fast lenses on a rebel or x0D, than with a 7D or 5D3 or 1D with slow consumer kit lenses.

And if you buy fast EF primes or fast EF L zooms they will be working for you in 10 years time.  15 years time.
You'll be onto a new body after 3 or 4 years typically...

mdm041

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 12:08:20 PM »
The 7d will suit you well.  I agree the IQ won't be much better if at all but the AF speed  will do your sports well.  The crop factor will let you get a bit more out of the lens your using.  Speaking of lens since you can pick up a 7d body for about $1200-$1500 that will leave you with some extra to spend on a good lens.  If you want a zoom the 70-300 IS is nice or you could save and get the L version which is very nice.  The non-L was pretty sharp but didn't focus as fast as I would have liked.  Or you could get the 400 F/5.6L and have a good tele prime.
5D III, 7D, 16-35 F2.8L, 24-70 F2.8L, 50 F1.4
70-200 F2.8L IS II

gtog

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 12:35:31 PM »
The 7D would certainly give you an improved build quality and faster, more versatile autofocus for sports photography, but would not improve autofocus for videography (if using manual focus for video, then not an issue). The 7D can be had new now within your budget and is also available for less as a refurb. Waiting, especially since you already sold the T3i, for a future 7D Mark II or 70D seems less attractive to me.

Note that while the 7D body has weatherproofing seals, full weatherproofing requires weather sealed lenses as well -- generally the newer L lenses. You may need some of the money you save on a refurb 7D to upgrade the lenses you want in your weatherproof kit.

G

Additional note: The 60D would be between the T3i and 7D in terms of build/weatherproofing, autofocus for photography, and price. Unlike the 7D, it does take Magic Lantern, if that is important to you.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 12:57:09 PM by gtog »

AdamB

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 01:48:23 PM »
Thanks guys for all the help! I have decided to go with the 7D, because of its fast AF and same crop factor that I'm used to with my T3i. My friend has the 70-300 IS USM (non L) so I am thinking of getting the 24-105 f4L along with my 7D because of its wide focal range, and IS for video. Once again thanks for your help! (this was my first time on the canon rumors forum)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 01:48:23 PM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 02:42:29 PM »
Hi, further to my earlier post, I would not recommend the 24-105 for the 7D for sports.

Here's why:

F4 max aperture.

f2.8 is the magic number.  It's not just nice to have it will give your AF system a stop more light to work (twice the light means faster AF) and canons AF generally becomes extra sensitive with f2.8 or brighter lenses, the 7D is no exception.

If you want the fastest most accurate AiServo tracking, you want an f2.8 lens.

F2.8 is also very useful for video. In stills you balance shutter ISO and aperture as required.
For video you usually work with a fixed shutter of around 1/50th (based on the old 180 shutter angle rule for fluidity of motion between frames) and if you add to much ISO you get a gritty picture.  An f2.8 lens is more flexible for video and will also assist that fashionable shallow depth of field look.

Finally, focal length,  the 24-105 was sold as a kit lens for the 5D2, not a sports camera so the f4 wasn't as big a deal, and a great alrounder on the full frame 5D2.  Nice dramatic wide angle, to nice portrait perspective.

On a cropped sensor camera it makes less sense, it becomes more like a 38mm wide angle in old money (full frame equivalent) so not really all that wide at all.

I would steer you more towards a combination of lenses, both with fast apertures and pref USM motor, the Canon 17-55 IS f2.8 is a great lens, L in all but name, and ticks all the boxes I've mention, augmented with a 100mm f2.0 USM?

A much more sorted sports kit, with double the light at the wide end (and a decent wide angle) and four times the light at 100mm (equiv 160mm)

It cannot be overstated, for sports you want the best AF, but you also need the best lens for the job, and that just isn't the 24-105 f4.

I would consider a monopod or something like a fig rig as being more ergonomic for video use, and adds the stability as well.

The package I suggest is more money, but look for refurbs / good used.   The right kit is the right kit whether it's new or just new to you.

kevl

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 03:34:24 PM »
If the 5D3 is outside of your budget then wait at least until the new "entry level" full frame camera is announced. The T3i is a great camera. The 7D has the same sensor with a better body and better AF system.... but in the end you'll have the same sensor limitations.

Now that I have the 5D3 I can't imagine going back to the APS-C sensors. The extra reach was nice... but the photos I get from the 5D3 are well worth the price of admission.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 03:34:24 PM »