October 25, 2014, 08:12:40 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III & 7D Mark II Within a Month! [CR0]  (Read 29826 times)

lbloom

Re: 5D Mark III & 7D Mark II Within a Month! [CR0]
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 10:34:50 AM »
5DIII and 7DII in the same month? Might as well announce the new 1D line this month too!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 10:34:50 AM »

EYEONE

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 02:50:11 PM »
This is a good load of crap.

If this Media Market is anything like a Best Buy (which it sounds like it is) then it is a load. Best Buy guys don't have a clue.

I still peg the 7DII a year out from now.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

catz

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 07:03:53 PM »
I would love this to be true. However, it sounds too good to be true. I have read too many false rumors and so many unimpressive new products since 5D mark II that I have a large grain of salt.

There are two ways this could be spoiled:
1) this does not happen
2) 5D mark III is not even close I (among the other HDSLR people) would hope it to be (e.g. Having Digic V, fixing the aliasing and resolution problems on video). I use the 5D mark II for video about 80% of the use, so the video section plays the most major role in the choice to upgrade or not to upgrade. I have shot ~10 terabytes of original footage with my 5D mark II.

The latter could happen if the camera is pushed out too early and the essential upgrades are descoped like have been the case with 7D, 550D, 600D, 60D. I am sincerely hoping that it takes so long for Canon to update 5D mark II because they want to make it perfect. The hopes are so high for the 5D mark III that they better fix the video problems before they release it, delaying is better than releasing without improvement. If the severe video aliasing and moire would still be in 5D mark III, I would give up and continue with the 5D mark II until I can afford RED somewhere in the distant future. I don't care how many autofocus points, optical viewfinder or anything like that, 5D mark II is perfectly sufficient for still images. In still photos, 5D mark II does everything I want and I can concentrate on trying to make great pictures rather than to the tool I use to do them. However, for 5D mark III absolutely essential: I want professional cinematic image quality on my video footage instead.

So I hope that when a 5D mark III rumor comes true, no matter when (now, later, distant future), it holds to the anticipation this model will have on it. The need for serious upgrade on the video processing side is such that I hope that Canon listens and acts for it. The camera has huge potential but as it is now (all models), they are all deeply flawed, they produce deficient footage and lots of effort is needed to avoid e.g. the aliasing problem and very often footage is ruined by aliasing and it can be only noticed afterwards when viewing on computer. 5D mark III - the choices are: 1) no more aliasing 2) no more Canon.

gene_can_sing

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 07:52:24 PM »
Catz, I agree with you 100%.

With that said, I really think Canon is going DOWNHILL FAST with regard to video, especially since it seems like they have NOTHING to show at NAB except a few PL mount lenses. That's 2 years in a row that Canon has essentially sat out at NAB.

It's really strange because they accidentally created the new niche of affordable, interchangeable lens video cameras. Instead of capitalizing on it, they've let the lead slip away on a market they could have easily owned. Panasonic and Sony have are releasing and announcing great new video products and Canon instead keeps updating their fixed lens video cameras (their only showing at NAB) that nobody wants to buy anymore, and no DSLR that addresses the moire problem.

They really baffle me as a company. They created a new market with the 5D and 7D, which they essentially owned but they seem to be content just milking profits and not innovating or releasing any new products at all, just re-hashes of existing cameras.

If they keep this up, they will always be strictly a stills company when they could have been so much more.

I probably would have jumped ship by now to Panasonic, except I own some nice Canon lenses, and Panny has the lame 2x crop. But Sony is starting to look really good for video guys. Even Nikon is starting to realize how valuable DSLR video really is to profits, with their upcoming cameras

With Sony being so aggressive lately with their camera stuff, I would not be surprised at all if they over took Canon in the near future, not only in DSLR video, but in Still as well. Canon is playing it way too slow and way too safe, which is becoming not safe.

But yes, for video the 5D3 is do-or-die for Canon. If the 5D3 has the moire and aliasing problem still, Canon will be completely done for video.

Which would probably make the stills people happy. hehe.

HughHowey

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My Author Site
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 09:36:08 PM »
I think you are understating Canon's commitment to video. Look at what was added to the 60D and what was taken away: Swivel screen, something video people want and something stills purist sneer at. Microadjust: Something stills people are in arms over and something video people couldn't care less about. If the next 5D has a swivel screen (something I, amazingly to myself, can't discount), it shows that they understand the dual market they helped usher into being.

I think it's a little like the mirrorless market. Canon is terrified of two competing threats: Cannibalization of its own markets from within and loss of markets from without. If they don't go video, offer mirrorless, etc., they miss out on new money. If they do, they risk losing old money. They seem to be taking the cautious approach, feeling out the consumer, tacking more like a tanker and less like a sloop.

Which is frustrating for those of us emotionally and financially invested in the company. I would LOVE to have a small, mirrorless Canon to add to my pack. It wouldn't replace my camera, it would just go with me on different sorts of outings. Canon underestimates (shockingly) its brand loyalty. Most DSLR users I know love their S95s or G11s or what-not. Canon should branch out as far and as fast as humanly possible. We will meet them in all corners.
T2i ~ 28mm 1.8 ~ 50mm 1.4 ~ 15-85mm ~ 55-250mm ~ 100mm 2.8L Macro ~ 135mm 2L ~ 200mm 2.8L

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 10:19:45 PM »
I think you are understating Canon's commitment to video. Look at what was added to the 60D and what was taken away: Swivel screen, something video people want and something stills purist sneer at. Microadjust: Something stills people are in arms over and something video people couldn't care less about.

So... you think that Canon took away AF microadjust from the 60D just to please video users??  I think not.  It was removed to differentiate product levels, and the swivel screen was added to compete with other manufacturers.  it comes in just as handy for stills users as it does for video.

gene_can_sing

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 10:37:10 PM »
I've never really understood Still photographer's aversion to a flip LCD screen. To me, even if I only shot stills, I would still want a flip screen because it allows so much flexibility.

As a video guy who has a 60d, I hardly ever use the Flip Screen. I have a Z-Finder attached, but there are times when I just un-do the gorilla plate bolts (takes 10 seconds), and flip out the screen for those odd angles.

Even if you only use it occasionally, the flip screen is much nicer than having the screen locked off. Cannot see any advantage to a locked LCD functionality wise. Some say a flip screen weakens the body, but the only way to test that is if you drop the camera, and flip screen or not, the camera probably will be F#@$ED.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 10:37:10 PM »

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 10:58:19 PM »
I've never really understood Still photographer's aversion to a flip LCD screen. To me, even if I only shot stills, I would still want a flip screen because it allows so much flexibility.

As a video guy who has a 60d, I hardly ever use the Flip Screen. I have a Z-Finder attached, but there are times when I just un-do the gorilla plate bolts (takes 10 seconds), and flip out the screen for those odd angles.

Even if you only use it occasionally, the flip screen is much nicer than having the screen locked off. Cannot see any advantage to a locked LCD functionality wise. Some say a flip screen weakens the body, but the only way to test that is if you drop the camera, and flip screen or not, the camera probably will be F#@$ED.

I agree.  I've taken photos with my wifes G11 at a concert where I had to hold the camera high over my head and the flip screen allowed me to frame the image.  It can be folded in for storage, and in that position, it is probably less susceptable to breakage.

te4o

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2011, 06:10:29 AM »
@Catz & @ Gene can sing:
I totally agree with your dissatisfaction. I'd add the stills IQ to the discontent. Borrowed a 5D2 for a week: I can't understand how is it possible to praise a camera with a noise issue like this! After the sun went down all my shots went over-noisy from ISO 400 upwards!?! DR abstruse, massive loss of detail in the dark areas... Does this happen in 2011 with every camera? Is it acceptable to be praising IQ like this in 2011. If we had 2008 OK, but in 2011 FF is not a novelty anymore. I cannot understand why people are still rushing to spend $2500 on it, even if they think they'd save 1000 from the introductory price. 5D2 looks really cheaper to me than its current price.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 06:13:16 AM by te4o »
5D3 (04/12), Carl Zeiss ZE 21, 35/1.4, 50MP, 100MP
Canon 135/2, Sigma 85/1.4
SONY RX100

Stone

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »

As someone who cares very little for video I'll chime in.  I use my cameras in all kinds of conditions and they get treated quite harshly at times.  One of the main concerns is the impact that a swivel lcd will have on weather sealing, to me it's just another part to get broken resulting in a costly repair or another place for water to get in if I'm shooting in challenging conditions.  So my main concern is the integrity of the body itself, maybe Canon has worked this out, maybe not.  The long term durability of swivel LCDs has yet to be determined.

Also I have a dedicated video camera and I can't help but feel that even though video adds very little to the cost of a DSLR, that money could be better spent on improved weather sealing, and or more features.  Until af performance rivals a traditional video camera, DSLR video is something I'll probably never use, but a 5DIII with improved af and dynamic range along with top notch weather sealing is something I would use every single day.... 
5D III gripped | 7D gripped | 35L | 24-70 2.8L II USM | 70-200 2.8L IS II USM | 85 1.8 |

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2011, 12:10:22 PM »
I've used flip out screens on Camcorders since they first came out 30 years ago, and on point and shoot cameras as well.  I've never broken one, or even had a friend break one.

Undoubtedly, reliability will be reduced, and they will provide a path for moisture leakage if the seals fail.

I like them not for video, a DSLR is not a camcorder, but for stills.  I can't bend down to take low angle shots, my back and legs just can't do it.  I've tried the Canon angle finder, and it really is not that good.

So, it is a compromise I'm willing to take, but, I do not realistically expect it to happen on the pro level cameras ... ever.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2011, 01:03:14 PM »
but were you on a day long hike through the mountains, not wanting to pack the camera away because if you do, in the time it takes you to get it out and ready, the <insert random animal> that you have come upon by chance will be long gone, along with the moment and shot.

martinelliminimo

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2011, 01:48:29 PM »
dammit... this better be true!  i just sold my 7d and battery grip because of this rumor for 1500!  but i am now seeing everybody doubt... S___ i'm pisssed.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2011, 01:48:29 PM »

barton springs

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2011, 03:35:12 PM »
Please don't quote from any sources like this anymore when
you know 100% it's just bunk. This isn't the first time either
but this is so bad it's worth letting you know about it.

It's like you just want to fill space with no real news out there.

EYEONE

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2011, 03:38:01 PM »
The website is called CanonRumors.com...
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2011, 03:38:01 PM »