December 20, 2014, 09:47:05 AM

Author Topic: EF 40mm STM Pancake Problem Acknowledged  (Read 5315 times)

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
EF 40mm STM Pancake Problem Acknowledged
« on: August 07, 2012, 02:24:52 AM »
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=2822

(I couldn't find the original thread about people saying they had a problem with it, so starting a new one).

Canon have acknowledged that there is a problem with this lens, I've had it too, where the AF just stops working occasionally.
They're blaming 'pressing the lens'. I know I haven't done it purposefully, but it could happen in my bag(s), and if it takes as little pressure as 'putting a lens cap on', then that's a design flaw.
Still, i'll do what it takes to fix it, it's otherwise a good lens.

My only concern is:
"The firmware to address this phenomenon will be available for download in late August, 2012."

This problem has only happened to me on my EOS 3, not the 7D. Are they talking about lens firmware or camera?
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

EF 40mm STM Pancake Problem Acknowledged
« on: August 07, 2012, 02:24:52 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: EF 40mm STM Pancake Problem Acknowledged
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 10:00:19 AM »
I tried to see if I had the issue, mounted mine to my 5D MK II and pushed on the lens, and of course, it would not autofocus because the barrel could not move with me pushing on it.  I removed my finger and it worked fine.  I tried squeezing the barrel too, but that has no affect.
Then, it dawned on me that what they must be saying is that some cameras lock up when you do not allow the lens to autofocus by pressing  the focus barrel or focus ring on the front of the lens.
Thats why the fix is firmware for the camera.  nothing wrong with the lens.

kdsand

• Canon 70D
  • Newt II a human stampede
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 01:08:44 PM »
Well heck.
I guess I had that happen on my 60D.

I was fiddling around a bit absent minded & the lens moved inward with a fairly light pressure made by my finger. I saw it move about 1/8 inch  :o (oops) & thought that didn't seem right.

I had to pop the battery out & back in to get functionality back in the lens ( didn't try re seating the lens ). It seems it just froze up causing no damage  :). Definitely sensitive, glad their doing a fix because it could be a pain in the butt ox if it happened often.

60D, t2i, Magic Lantern, Manfrotto, Joby, Domke, SanDisk and excetera excetera

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 01:31:48 PM »
Well heck.

I was fiddling around a bit absent minded & the lens moved inward with a fairly light pressure made by my finger. I saw it move about 1/8 inch  :o (oops) & thought that didn't seem right.

I had to pop the battery out & back in to get functionality back in the lens ( didn't try re seating the lens ). It seems it just froze up causing no damage  :) . Definitely sensitive, glad their doing a fix because it could be a pain in the butt ox if it happened often.
If you push the end of the lens barrel to put on the cap, or whatever, it will telescope in, some may take more perssure, but all of them move.
What should noot happen is for the camera to lockup when it senses a lens movement. 

Wideopen

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 01:55:08 PM »
Haven't had any issues with mines mounted to a 7D yet.

kdsand

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 04:29:27 PM »
Well heck.

I had to pop the battery out & back in to get functionality back in the lens ( didn't try re seating the lens ). It seems it just froze up causing no damage  :) . Definitely sensitive, glad their doing a fix because it could be a pain in the butt ox if it happened often.
If you push the end of the lens barrel to put on the cap, or whatever, it will telescope in, some may take more perssure, but all of them move.
What should noot happen is for the camera to lockup when it senses a lens movement.
Yep if  you put a cap on with a little to much force it could  happen, although it hasn't locked up on me since that first time.  I  am pretty good at not interfering with AF or stripping gears in general but since its so nice to leave that lens on in a tight bag ready for a quick draw I suppose it could freeze up randomly in those circumstances.

As long as its not a hardware  issue, it will be  - should be relatively a simple firmware fix.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 04:42:13 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 10:57:21 PM »
I played with mine some more today.  With the lens mounted to my powered up 5D MK II, I pushed the barrel of the lens all the way back, and did a lot of other screwy things, but it kept on working perfectly.  Apparently not all of them have the issue, or it is particular to certain camera bodies.

ageha

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 10:58:17 PM »
I played with mine some more today.  With the lens mounted to my powered up 5D MK II, I pushed the barrel of the lens all the way back, and did a lot of other screwy things, but it kept on working perfectly.  Apparently not all of them have the issue, or it is particular to certain camera bodies.
Or maybe just an early batch is affected?

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 11:04:14 PM »
Or maybe just an early batch is affected?
I think mine is a early batch.

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 11:57:11 PM »
I think mine is a early batch.

Ditto, I had mine in hand 2 days after the announcement, before it was even available in the US.
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

victorwol

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 12:01:00 AM »
Yes, mine does it....
1D X - 5D MKIII - 7D - 24 f1.4L - 8-15 L - 50 1.2L - 85 1.2L - 15 2.8 - 16-35 2.8L - 24-105 4.0L - 70-200 2.8 LII - 24 TSE - 45 TSE - 90 TSE - MPE 65 - 180 f3.5L - 100 2.8L II - 580EX and a few Einsteins.

thebowtie

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • You want me to rant? Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 12:41:28 AM »
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=2822

(I couldn't find the original thread about people saying they had a problem with it, so starting a new one).

Canon have acknowledged that there is a problem with this lens, I've had it too, where the AF just stops working occasionally.
They're blaming 'pressing the lens'. I know I haven't done it purposefully, but it could happen in my bag(s), and if it takes as little pressure as 'putting a lens cap on', then that's a design flaw.
Still, i'll do what it takes to fix it, it's otherwise a good lens.

My only concern is:
"The firmware to address this phenomenon will be available for download in late August, 2012."

This problem has only happened to me on my EOS 3, not the 7D. Are they talking about lens firmware or camera?

Here's the link to the announcement on Canon Australia's support site:
http://www.canon.com.au/Support-Services/Support-News/Service-Notices/f28-STM-Interchangeable-Lens
To Users of the EF40mm f/2.8 STM Interchangeable Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras

Thank you for using Canon products.

It has been confirmed that the autofocusing function of the EF40mm f/2.8 STM lens, which was released in June 2012, may not operate correctly.

The details of this phenomenon are described below.
Phenomenon

If pressure is applied to the lens barrel while the lens is mounted to the camera (pressure can be applied even while attaching the lens cap or while carrying the camera with the lens attached in a bag), the autofocusing function of the lens may stop working.

This phenomenon does not occur during normal shooting.
    This phenomenon does not result in a malfunction of the lens.

Workaround

When the above phenomenon occurs, detach and reattach the lens, or remove and reinsert the camera battery to restore the operations.
Market Support

The firmware to address this phenomenon will be available for download in late August, 2012.

Once this firmware is ready, we will make an announcement on our Web site.
Contact Information for Inquiries

Canon Australia Services & Support 13 13 83 (Local call)

Canon New Zealand Customer Care 0800 222 666
A Camera. Some Lenses. Some accessories. Talent on back-order

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 12:41:28 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 12:41:08 PM »
I've seen one possible explanation noting that since the lens has a stepper motor, it could lose synch with the camera body, and a remount/restart is needed to get the camera to synch up again.  The fix may very well be just having the camera body do a synch when the lens position does not match rather than lockup or generate a error message.
I tried another thing after reading the comment, focusing far away, then keeping my finger on the lens barrel so it could not move out to focus closely.  I could feel the stepper motor pulsing for about 5 seconds, then I removed my finger and it focused fine.  I also manually pushed it in while focusing, it just keeps working fine.
Could those with a problem mention the body they are using? 

kdsand

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 03:57:24 PM »
I fairly certain its a glitch in the programing/ firmware in the lens though updating body firmware  apparently is a workaround for this early batch.

On a related note its a shame the hood connects to the barrel as it does. Mounted differently it would protect vs aggravating the problem. I normally use a hood but on the 40 I'm leaning towards not using it and no I didn't  buy Canons  :P over priced little plastic ring, I'm using a Leica one. :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 03:57:24 PM »