September 30, 2014, 06:24:14 AM

Author Topic: Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM focus problem...  (Read 10614 times)

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM focus problem...
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 03:48:15 PM »
That link shows a ton of socce photographs.  All shot with the 50/1.4?

At those distances, the 50's focus inconsistency is minimal.

When you get intimate with things... seated portraits for instance, the inconsistency and dof work against each other.

Not sure what link you are referring to, but if it has a ton of soccer photos I hugely doubt they were taken with the 5mm 1.4, that's wayyyyyyyy short and the AF is slow and, yes, at those distances inconsistent, on many bodies it actually does worse at larger distances.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 03:48:15 PM »

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 12:32:04 PM »
I had 2 of these lenses.
One I purchased used with a small scratch on the front element.  It always AF'd pretty near perfectly, no matter what body I used it on or what distance the subject.  I used this lens a lot on my 5d2, 40d and other crop bodies.  It was a great lens and I was happy with the results for years of use.
I also got a new one for a good deal, kept it as a backup.  Never took it out of the box, the warranty expired years ago.
Went to use it recently, only to find that it's AF is useless.  The thing misses focus really bad at various distances, tho sometimes it focuses just fine...  Did a little experimenting and what I found was that it would nail focus at certain distances but miss (mostly backfocus) at various distances in between.  It was repeatable enough that it seems to me to be a flaw within the lens and possibly how it communicates with the camera's AF system.
It's so bad that it backfocuses by about 2 feet on a simple high contrast target that's 10 feet away.
Seems Canon's quality control slipped on some versions of this lens.  Too bad, it provided a decent IQ/$ ratio.
Not sure I want to spend $ on sending it in for a possible repair.  Might consider doing my own take-apart and inspection.

Anyone have a similarly (mis)behaving 50/1.4 and any success with fixing it?

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 01:15:46 PM »
This is a 1-1/2 year old thread, you are no longer going to help the OP.

Perhaps a mod can lock the topic?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 01:15:46 PM »