October 21, 2014, 11:16:31 AM

Author Topic: Camera Gear Costs More Right Now  (Read 7980 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Camera Gear Costs More Right Now
« on: April 15, 2011, 03:58:39 PM »

I mentioned a few weeks back, that if you were going to buy anything camera related, that was the time.

There’s lots of reports of price increases across the globe. This was bound to happen as retailers were and are still unsure what stock levels are going to be like.

New rebate programs and other things have been cancelled or postponed.

There have been no price increases from Canon, only from retailers. They were running on a 3-5 point margin, now they’re up to 10 points or more in some cases.

This isn’t news to some folks, but I had to clear things up for others.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Camera Gear Costs More Right Now
« on: April 15, 2011, 03:58:39 PM »

HughHowey

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My Author Site
Re: Camera Gear Costs More Right Now
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 04:20:23 PM »
So they're making more profit but more money isn't going to Canon?

>:(
T2i ~ 28mm 1.8 ~ 50mm 1.4 ~ 15-85mm ~ 55-250mm ~ 100mm 2.8L Macro ~ 135mm 2L ~ 200mm 2.8L

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 04:37:01 PM »

Price gouging is rampant.

Before this all happened I was going to pick up an 85/1.8, was $419, now $599+.  Big box retailers (BestBuy, etc.), followed closely by Canon direct have become the cheapest option for anything they have in stock.

AverageJoe

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 05:13:44 PM »
But more importantly, what camera was used in that image? an AE-1 with something attached?

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 05:21:13 PM »
But more importantly, what camera was used in that image? an AE-1 with something attached?

Canon Flex or Flex R2000 + external exposure meter.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 05:22:48 PM by bvukich »

Etienne

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 06:10:57 PM »

Before this all happened I was going to pick up an 85/1.8, was $419, now $599+.  Big box retailers (BestBuy, etc.), followed closely by Canon direct have become the cheapest option for anything they have in stock.

Still $419 at B&H and $414 at Adorama

armando

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 06:19:03 PM »
I headed the warning and bought what I could afford.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 06:19:03 PM »

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 06:41:54 PM »
Yup, I bought a used 35mm L along with a 135mm L for $1750 as a package deal.  Both are perfect, and focus is fast and accurate, I tried them first, of course.

I think that if I wanted, I could sell them right now for more than I paid.  I've seen new 35mm L's going for close to $2,000.

jebrady03

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 07:42:30 PM »

My understanding is that the term "price gouging" should only be used with necessary goods and services such as fuel, food, shelter, etc.  No matter how much we depend on our gear, I can't see any court of law agreeing that camera gear is a necessity.

My understanding is also that there needs to be a sharp increase in price either before or during a disaster situation.  In this case, the increase is in response to a disaster (although I acknowledge things are not back to normal yet - so perhaps this isn't quite as strong a point as the one above).

I believe that retailers are simply living by the laws of economics and specifically, supply and demand.  Supply has and/or is rumored to go down, demand has basically stayed the same and perhaps has gone up because of all those who rushed out to grab the gear they've been planning to buy.  A free market would dictate that the price goes up with either supply dwindling or demand ramping up.  In this case, we likely have both!

I see nothing wrong with what's happening and in fact, if the prices stayed the same, I'd suggest that they were artificially high (possibly suggestive of price fixing/collusion) to begin with.

So this really shouldn't be a surprise for anyone.

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 09:28:44 PM »
ebay prices approximate the free market, and they are going up and up.  This is a bidding site, so price gouging doesn't apply to auctions.

As to dealers, if you have a limited supply, and more buyers than product, then why not raise the price.  You will not be making any profit if you can't get new stock, so you need to get what the market will bear for existing stock.

Once stock is easy to get, then drastic markdowns and hair thin profit will once again be the order of the day.  We just don't know when that might happen, but it will be months at best before pipelines fill up.

Kuscali

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 11:40:52 PM »
Honestly this was brought up in another forum, but the American dollar has taken a beating as well. Bodies are cheaper here in Canada then they are in the United States, but lenses are cheaper in the United States then in Canada.

I just don't like the attitude of some people, some people even asked if the equipment would be contaminated with Radiation!

Etienne

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 12:03:34 AM »
Honestly this was brought up in another forum, but the American dollar has taken a beating as well. Bodies are cheaper here in Canada then they are in the United States, but lenses are cheaper in the United States then in Canada.

I just don't like the attitude of some people, some people even asked if the equipment would be contaminated with Radiation!

Lenses and bodies are cheaper in the states, if when the dollar is at par.

Hillsilly

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 12:54:07 AM »
Currently, it is just as cheap to buy camera gear locally in Australia than import it from the US (factoring in deliver and GST).  Its the first time that I've ever noticed that.  Given that locally supplied gear has correct warranties, the right power plugs etc, I'd be silly not to give the local guys my business.  I'm sure that other people around the world are thinking the same.  While some of the big US stores might be taking advantage of prices - it will backfire as they lose international sales, as currently the USD is at record lows compared with many major currencies.  BH Photo, Adorama, Amazon etc should be taking advantage of this and using this as an opportunity to increase their international sales and generate increased profits.  I hope that they will realise this sooner, rather than later.

On a similar topic, has anyone else noticed the increase in shipping costs out of the US over the last two years?   What's going on with that?  I heard it was due to terrorism laws, but businesses are trying to send things out of the country, not bring them in.  If businesses in the US want to become internationally competitive again, shipping prices are a good place to start. 
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 12:54:07 AM »

Kuscali

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 12:59:30 AM »

Lenses and bodies are cheaper in the states, if when the dollar is at par.

Right now the 7D and the D7000 can be found for in Canada for prices, that are less than Store in the United States.

Hillsilly

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 01:02:06 AM »
An example of shipping prices - to have a 5d delivered from BH Photo is $US90.36.  A couple of years ago, a similar item would have been approximately $45 - $60.
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 01:02:06 AM »