September 20, 2014, 10:37:03 PM

Author Topic: Canon GPS Options  (Read 6844 times)

pharp

Re: Canon GPS Options
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 02:58:50 PM »
Well ... The 1DX uses the GP-E1.

Well...the 1D X can use either the GP-E1 or the GP-E2.  But GP-E1 can only be used with the 1D X.  The GP-E1 does not offer the logging function that the GP-E2 does, but it's smaller and more robustly constructed (better sealing), allows simultaneous use of a hotshoe-mounted flash (without needing to resort to the USB connection), and it's powered by the camera battery rather than an internal AA battery.

I stand corrected.  I do prefer having a separate battery for the GPS - they tend to be battery hogs. I really don't care about the logging function - will still carry and use my Garmin for those functions [e.g. waypoints, routing, etc.].  I'm not thrilled with the shoe mount though.  They really need to come up an alternative mounting method, especially one that doesn't require the inelegant cable connection. It's a start though - I'm just glad Canon has finally seen the light.  I know alot of folks have no value in this, but I for one am thrilled [maybe overstated].
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 03:05:43 PM by pharp »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 02:58:50 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 03:09:20 PM »
I'm not thrilled with the shoe mount.  They really need to come up an alternative mounting method, especially one that doesn't require the inelegant cable connection. It's a start though - I'm just glad Canon has finally seen the light.  I know alot of folks have no value in this, but I for one am thrilled [maybe overstated].

I may pick one up at some point...I agree that the hotshoe mount is not optimal, and also that an internal battery is a plus.  The GP-E1 does use an alternative mounting method:

...but the downside is that it conflicts with the RRS L-bracket.  So, I'm still undecided which one I'll get.  Either way, it's not high on my list of priorities.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

pharp

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 03:17:33 PM »
Agreed, it would be better mounted on the front. I guess the alternative to the RRS L plate would be an universal [adjustable] one like by acratech.

luc_october

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 03:19:27 PM »
I'm thinking about Sandisk Eye-fi that have wi-fi geotagging option combined with iphone sending GPS info thru wi-fi to Eye-fi.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2012, 03:30:45 PM »
Agreed, it would be better mounted on the front. I guess the alternative to the RRS L plate would be an universal [adjustable] one like by acratech.

It's not as bad as it sounds - I really like the RRS design.  It's their first one (for a Canon dSLR) that's modular - the L part and the base plate can be separated, meaning if the side L isn't needed, it cam be removed, and it's also possible to configure the L further from the side of the camera (allowing room for the GP-E1).  But the big gap with the GP-E1 at the top is not really an elegant solution.

One other really nice thing about the RRS plate - the hex wrench needed to make the adjustments actually stores inside the place, held in place magnetically. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

StephenC

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 04:47:55 AM »
I'm thinking about Sandisk Eye-fi that have wi-fi geotagging option combined with iphone sending GPS info thru wi-fi to Eye-fi.

I have the Eye-Fi as well.  There are a few issues:
1. Already mentioned is the fact that itisn't actually a GPS. It uses a database of WiFi hotspots to guess where you took the photo.  If there is nomWiFi, there is no data.
2. It only adds GPS data to the files during the transfer to the computer and only then if there is an active Internet connection.

It is actually quite complex in the way it works. As long as you have the WiFi enabled on the card when you take a photo, it adds the details of nearby WiFi networks (even ones you don't actually have access to) to the file. When you use the EyeFi software to retrieve the photos from your card it queries an Internet database (SkyHook) and determines where those WiFi points were and translates this into GPS data in the EXIF. The latitude and longitude data did not exist until this point. If you do not have intent access when you make the transfer there is the option to get this information later, but only if the photo remains in the Eye-Fi software (and not on the iPad app). Once you send the photo to Aperture or Lightroom etc you can't add the GPS data to that version. This becomes a problem if you use the ad-hoc connection the card creates to transfer your photos as the receiving device then connects to that WiFi and so can't connect to an Internet WiFi. You also don't get GPS data if you transfer the photos using a card reader, it must be a wireless transfer off the card.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Eye-Fi card is great. I just see it as a clever way of transferring photos, rather than as a GPS device. The fact it does allow a sort of geo-location is great, but you need to be aware of its limitations. The GPS data added from the GP-E2 is transferred via the Eye-Fi card with no issues.
Canon EOS 5D mkIII
Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8L II USM, Canon EF 70-200mm f4L IS USM, Canon EF 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM
Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT + ST-E3-RT, Canon GP-E2, Eye-Fi Card

pharp

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2012, 12:36:55 PM »
I'm hoping someone will come up with a Bluetooth solution [similar to what can be done with the WFT] - there are several good Bluetooth GPS devices available. I'm amazed how small they made the new WFT for the 1DX. A Wintec GPS and a mini USB Bluetooth dongle would be nice.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 12:50:06 PM by pharp »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2012, 12:36:55 PM »

rmccloud

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2012, 02:09:30 PM »
Just an fyi (I didn't look at the date of this point)...the latest versions of the eyefi cards (I just purchased the 16G class 10 with new firmware)..don't require a network or hotspot when you're out in the field working.  The new Direct connect option just requires that you have your cell phone with you, with the wi-fi turned on.  Took me a little while to configure it but it works very well.  Haven't tried geotagging yet but it will probably work the same way..and will be as accurate as cell-tower gps can be.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2012, 02:09:30 PM »