July 26, 2014, 02:14:57 PM

Author Topic: HONEST users of Canon Bodies who earn their living with photography  (Read 11141 times)

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: HONEST users of Canon Bodies who earn their living with photography
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2012, 12:49:38 PM »
I shot with the 5Dc for along time. Its AF was adequate for what it was, but the MK3 is just a whole different animal. Its the best AF I've ever used on any camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2012, 12:49:38 PM »

Richard Lane

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2012, 12:50:40 PM »
mingulay,

Absolutely stunning images! :)

Lets try and sort this out, between AF settings vs. faulty equipment.

1) Were you using AI Servo or One Shot Mode?
2) If you were using AI Servo, then what is the tracking sensitivity set too?
3) Were you using Single AF Point or Single Spot AF point?
4) If you use regular Single point AF, then do you have AF expansion on or off?
5) Do you use half shutter-button press to focus or AF-On back button?
6) Were your red AF points on the subject or on the wall when viewed on your computer?
7) If the red points were on your subject, were they on a low contrast solid color, or on a higher contrast edge, or transition area?

Rich
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 12:59:29 PM by Richard Lane »

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2012, 01:00:55 PM »
mingulay,

Absolutely stunning images! :)

Lets try and sort this out, between AF settings vs. faulty equipment.

1) Were you using AI Servo or One Shot Mode?
2) If you were using AI Servo, then what is the tracking sensitivity set too?
3) Were you using Single AF Point or Single Spot AF point?
4) If you use regular Single point AF, then do you have AF expansion on or off?
5) Do you use half shutter-button press to focus or AF-On back button?
6) Were your red AF points on the subject or on the wall when viewed on your computer?
7) If the red points were on your subject, were they on a low contrast solid color, or on a higher contrast edge, or transition area?

Rich

If i'm not mistaken, he doesn't have the 1dx or 5d3 so the single AF or spot AF/ expansion doesn't apply. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Richard Lane

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2012, 03:48:46 PM »
If i'm not mistaken, he doesn't have the 1dx or 5d3 so the single AF or spot AF/ expansion doesn't apply.

The MKIV does have Single AF point, Single AF point with expansion and Spot AF, however the 24-70mm f/2.8L doesn't allow Spot AF to be enabled, so you are correct that Spot AF will not apply for his lens.  Thanks for pointing that out. :)

My 300mm f/2.8L IS (has Spot AF) is permanently attached to my MKIV, and both my 7D and 1DX also have Spot AF, so it seems that whichever camera/lens combo I pick up, I always have Spot AF.  For those that are interested, the only other lenses that do offer Spot AF for the MKIV are the (200 f/2 IS, 300 f/2.8 IS, 400 f/2.8 IS, 400 f/4 DO IS, 500 f/4 IS, 600 f/4 IS and 800 f/5.6 IS)

As far as I know, no Canon Camera offers Spot AF with expansion, as that would defeat the purpose of the precise Spot AF.

Cheers,
Rich

mingulay

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2012, 04:08:51 PM »
Today I prepared a wedding that I will join from 9 am until 2 am Saturday/Sunday and now I need to get some sleep to be ready for that task. I want to thank you all for your supporting comments and contributions to my problem. There are some open points and questions and I will come back to them on Sunday, when I will be back at my computer again.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2012, 05:27:20 PM »

The MKIV does have Single AF point, Single AF point with expansion and Spot AF, however the 24-70mm f/2.8L doesn't allow Spot AF to be enabled, so you are correct that Spot AF will not apply for his lens.  Thanks for pointing that out. :)

My 300mm f/2.8L IS (has Spot AF) is permanently attached to my MKIV, and both my 7D and 1DX also have Spot AF, so it seems that whichever camera/lens combo I pick up, I always have Spot AF.  For those that are interested, the only other lenses that do offer Spot AF for the MKIV are the (200 f/2 IS, 300 f/2.8 IS, 400 f/2.8 IS, 400 f/4 DO IS, 500 f/4 IS, 600 f/4 IS and 800 f/5.6 IS)

As far as I know, no Canon Camera offers Spot AF with expansion, as that would defeat the purpose of the precise Spot AF.

Cheers,
Rich

Thanks for the clarification... I haven't shot with the 1d4 and only played with it shortly after it was first released.  After reading reviews and a brief hands on, I assumed it was like the 1d3 and prior cameras to date just with much better tracking.  That being said, with the latest rendition of AF modules, I've heard and believe both the 5d3 and 1dx has better AF engines and performance than the 1d4? 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2012, 07:40:58 PM »
seems all the possibilities are being covered already, so i'd just like to say, mingulay, great work ++

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2012, 07:40:58 PM »

mingulay

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2012, 12:15:20 PM »
To round up: I questioned the AF capabilities of Canon cameras in general and asked for experiences in this regard - particularly from users of the 1DX and 5DIII.

In the meantime a dared going for a 5DIII and can say that the autofocus problem is indeed solved. Tests with different lighting situations and most of the time very open apertures (2 and less) led to sharp images in nearly every case. Very convincing. It is a joy to TRUST your tool (and not need to shoot every situation 10 times just to make sure to hit at least once.

So thanks to all who convinced me going for this camera:-) Apart from the well working AF system it may be mentioned that the camera as a whole is a very good piece of work. Maybe somewhat pricey but very reliable and well equipped.

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2012, 01:17:08 PM »
Sorry, bro, but this seems to be some sort of technique issue, or something... I cannot figure it out otherwise...
What is truth?

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2012, 02:09:31 PM »
To round up: I questioned the AF capabilities of Canon cameras in general and asked for experiences in this regard - particularly from users of the 1DX and 5DIII.

In the meantime a dared going for a 5DIII and can say that the autofocus problem is indeed solved. Tests with different lighting situations and most of the time very open apertures (2 and less) led to sharp images in nearly every case. Very convincing. It is a joy to TRUST your tool (and not need to shoot every situation 10 times just to make sure to hit at least once.

So thanks to all who convinced me going for this camera:-) Apart from the well working AF system it may be mentioned that the camera as a whole is a very good piece of work. Maybe somewhat pricey but very reliable and well equipped.

I am happy that your problem was solved, albeit in a fashion that made you aquire new gear, thus circumventing the original problem.

I have nothing to contribute with that have not been mentioned by these very skilled commentators.

However, I just wanted to say that I love your work (from what you posted in this thread, and from your portfoliopage).  Apart from brilliant compositions and creativity on your shots, I am particularly impressed with your lighting (and particurlarly in your akt/seminude shots), and I would love to see you open a thread on lighting, or even a youtube video for us other to learn from :)
1Dx, 5DII w/grip, 3x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon: 8-15L, 16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 17L TS, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2012, 02:11:03 PM »
Is this thread opposed to DISHONEST users of Canon Bodies who earn their living with photography?
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon816

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2012, 05:43:33 PM »
Is this thread opposed to DISHONEST users of Canon Bodies who earn their living with photography?

Oh crap... I didn't notice the honest part.  You should disregard my previous statements....

nightbreath

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Свадебный фотограф в Днепропетровске
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2012, 06:22:38 PM »
... Apart from brilliant compositions and creativity on your shots, I am particularly impressed with your lighting (and particurlarly in your akt/seminude shots), and I would love to see you open a thread on lighting, or even a youtube video for us other to learn from :)
Just look at the subject's eyes and you'll see the answer  :)
Wedding photography. My personal website: http://luxuryphoto.com.ua

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2012, 06:22:38 PM »

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2012, 02:33:44 AM »
... Apart from brilliant compositions and creativity on your shots, I am particularly impressed with your lighting (and particurlarly in your akt/seminude shots), and I would love to see you open a thread on lighting, or even a youtube video for us other to learn from :)
Just look at the subject's eyes and you'll see the answer  :)

You have some beautiful pictures on your site:)

I am not sure if I follow your thought? Look at the eyes? The photos I was referring to (akt) on his page are many where you can't even see the eyes, but the lighting is beautiful.
1Dx, 5DII w/grip, 3x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon: 8-15L, 16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 17L TS, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

Jakontil

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2012, 05:02:51 AM »
for a wedding, MKIII does everything....

until i get a 1DX, which was a clear winner all the way...
1DX - 16-35 II, 24-70L II - 85L II - 70-200L II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2012, 05:02:51 AM »