November 28, 2014, 08:33:12 PM

Poll

Does your canon 5D mk3 lock up while filming video

never
sometimes
always

Author Topic: Problems with Canon mk3 locking up  (Read 22520 times)

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My photographs
Re: Problems with Canon mk3 locking up
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 12:56:45 AM »
I'm using the 90Mb/s sandisk extreme pro, must have the same problem as the 60Mb/s.
Has anyone had this problem with the lexar 1000x ?

I had NO lockups using the 16GB Lexar 1000x on my 5D MKIII
Shooting Ai Servo RAW at soccergames
I did not try yet the video mode

I always format the CF in camera. And when transferring files, I never take the CF out from the camera. I just connect the camera with the USB cable.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 12:58:37 AM by candyman »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 12:56:45 AM »

M.ST

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 01:31:33 AM »
It´s a very old problem that is well knows since December 2011. I report this problem to Canon in December 2011 because my prototype is locking up.

Canon knows that many of the 5D Mark III´s are locking up if you use SanDisk CF cards (32 GB Extreme, etc.).

The problem is, that Canon knows the problem and after nearly a year nothing happens. It´s a shame.

Conclusion: If you have many SanDisk Cards test the camera and if you have problems return it and demand your money back. Or forget the 5D Mark III and wait what is coming next. The image quality from the 6D is better than the image quality from the 5D Mark III, but the shutter in the 5D Mark III is better build. But as the 5D Mark III you loose with the 6D over ISO 3200 a lot of fine details. For professional use don´t go higher then ISO 1600 oder ISO 3200 if you don´t make action or wildlife shots. Possible the new high megapixel camera in a bigger body than the 5D Mark III is an option for you. The image quality is amazing.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 01:45:05 AM by M.ST »

STvideography

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 08:40:56 PM »
I have since had my 5d MK3 lock up using my new 1000x 32gb lexar card :'-(  I've started shooting video with my image stablizer switched off on my 70-200mm lense to try and see if this helps. I'll post here if I can work out where the problem lies.   

Darkoroom

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2012, 06:12:12 PM »
I shot 100's of clips since march and I had it happen to me twice...few months ago and few minutes ago.....it sucks..i hope Canon can figure it out.

this time the Lens was 16-35...sandisc 32gb

STvideography

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 10:26:04 PM »
Hey Darkodoom, Are you using genuine canon batteries?

starflux

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 05:40:03 PM »
I work for a major corporation and we employ 11 Canon 5D Mark II cameras for shooting both still and (corporate training and PR) video. I have shot endless hours and countless Gigs of video using the mark II. Lenses we use range from the 70-200 IS f2.8 to first gen. 24-70's to Zeiss  ZE lenses. Memory cards are mostly 400x Lexar 16gb and a few Sandisk Extreme 8gb. With many years of experience with this type of camera for video I have learned a lot about the pro and cons regarding dslr video usage. One of the biggest drawbacks being the 12 minute clip length of the Mark II. Upon receiving my first Canon 5D Mark III in April of 2012 i was to shot a corporate event involving a long speech about 25 minutes in length. I decided to try out the new Mark III and its claimed longer recording time. The camera was set up using a standard video tripod. I was also using a Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS II lens. Mounted on the hotshoe was a Rode shotgun Mic that plugged into the cameras mic port. I was also using Bose QC II headphones for monitoring. The cards i used for media capture were all (4) 16gb Lexar 400x. The first two speeches i recorded were all perfect but they were also less than ten minutes in length. I decided for the 3rd speech, which was to be about 25 minutes in length, to format a new blank card to make sure I would have enough space to achieve this. At about the 12 minute mark of the recording i started to notice the image on the live preview screen begin to skip and act like it was in slow motion. The blinking record light on the back of the camera changed from blinking to a solid red on. No matter what button I pushed or no matter what switch I switch on or off the image stayed frozen in the preview and the red light remained on. I quickly decided to remove the cameras battery and switched to a third card and managed to start recording once again. Unfortunately, all of the video that had been recorded prior to the freeze was completely lost. I tried numerous rescue software to no avail. It's def. never a good experience having to tell a client/co-worker that your camera mysteriously malfunctioned and you lost important footage. Regardless of the pros and cons of shooting dslr for video, in all the years of shooting dslr video with the Canon 5D Mark II i have never had this problem, ever... period. The Mark III will be shelved for video until this problem is address properly and fixed properly. Shame on you Canon for making us your beta testers.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 05:43:55 PM by starflux »

@!ex

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 06:49:12 PM »
Possible the new high megapixel camera in a bigger body than the 5D Mark III is an option for you. The image quality is amazing.

You act like you have used or seen actual output from the new high megapixel camera, if so please elaborate....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 06:49:12 PM »

Camerajah

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 07:07:37 PM »
Mine have locked up at least 3 times and twice in a single day had to remove and reinstall the battery magazine and I only shoot stills-pixel vertex grip with a pair of canon batteries and rare bird canon lens EF28-80 usm metal mount,I am thinking it may be the lens or silent shutter setting,but I think this will all vanish with April's firmware update from Canon
Canon bodies and not enough L lenses

curtisp777

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 09:05:42 AM »
I'm using the 90Mb/s sandisk extreme pro, must have the same problem as the 60Mb/s.
Has anyone had this problem with the lexar 1000x ?

I have the lexar 32GB 1000x CF Card and it has not locked up on me yet.  I have not taken very many videos with my 5d MK3.  Sometimes I have processing issues with my images when I try to edit them with ACD See Pro Ver 6.0

East Wind Photography

• 1D Mark IV
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 12:12:29 PM »
I shoot video on the 5DIII frequently.  I used Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB 90MB/sec.  But I only use one of the cards at a time.  Either CF or SD but never both for video.  I usually just use the CF card.

I didn't pick up on it in the threads but maybe it's related to having both cards in the camera at the same time regardless of whether you are using the 2nd.  I've found the best performance is with JUST the CF card installed.

smphoto74

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2013, 07:21:36 AM »
I've had the issue and decided to record it.  Over a 2 hour period yesterday I was able to get it to come up a total of 10 times ranging in times from 18 seconds to 4 minutes even.  I'm not so sure it's a card issue.  I'm using CF 90mbps and SD at 45mbps.  Maybe I could see issues with the 45mbps cards but 90mbps.?  Once you see my video, it's 18 seconds into recording so I'm just not 100% sure it's a card issue but to be fair I don't think we should rule out the card issue completely.  More testing has to be done for sure.  Either way loosing footage because of a camera freezing during video recording is hazardous in our business.  Canon must be made aware of the issue and get it fixed for everyone involved.

Check out the video, I've sent it to Canon as proof and will be sending in my MK3 Monday.

5D MK3 Freeze Frame during video

Please forgive me for it being out of focus but capturing this one freezing 18 seconds into recording I couldn't pass up the chance to show it.

jeffabbyben

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2013, 09:54:48 AM »
I don't know if it is related but I almost exclusively shoot stills.  I have had it happen around 3-4 times where the display buttons on the back of the 5d mark iii become unresponsive.  The lcd will not show any images (or menu items) for review.  The camera will allow me to continue taking pictures though.  I use lexar 400 and 1000 cf cards.  I haven't found any pattern as to when it occurs.  I wonder if this is the stiils equivalent of what you are seeing in video.

East Wind Photography

• 1D Mark IV
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2013, 10:15:16 AM »
So you said you used both CF and SD cards.  Were they both in the camera at the same time or in one at a time during the test?

I've had the issue and decided to record it.  Over a 2 hour period yesterday I was able to get it to come up a total of 10 times ranging in times from 18 seconds to 4 minutes even.  I'm not so sure it's a card issue.  I'm using CF 90mbps and SD at 45mbps.  Maybe I could see issues with the 45mbps cards but 90mbps.?  Once you see my video, it's 18 seconds into recording so I'm just not 100% sure it's a card issue but to be fair I don't think we should rule out the card issue completely.  More testing has to be done for sure.  Either way loosing footage because of a camera freezing during video recording is hazardous in our business.  Canon must be made aware of the issue and get it fixed for everyone involved.

Check out the video, I've sent it to Canon as proof and will be sending in my MK3 Monday.

Please forgive me for it being out of focus but capturing this one freezing 18 seconds into recording I couldn't pass up the chance to show it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2013, 10:15:16 AM »

smphoto74

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2013, 01:15:10 PM »
Both CF & SD cards where in the camera at the same time.  I tested the SD card first and it failed 3 times before I switched to the CF card where it failed 7 times.  Both cards were formatted in camera. Both cards are 32GB cards so plenty of room. Battery was down to 50%

So you said you used both CF and SD cards.  Were they both in the camera at the same time or in one at a time during the test?

East Wind Photography

• 1D Mark IV
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2013, 04:36:26 PM »
Try it again with JUST the CF card and with JUST the SD card.  That is an important data point that Canon will want to know.  If you cant get it to fail with 1 card then they may have an issue with the card bus timing trying to respond to both cards at the same time.  Even when you are writing to only one card, the camera bus still polls the other card if it's inserted.  At these speeds when you are pushing the limits, timing is critical.  IF it's out of spec a little it can cause a crash.  We have the same issue with PCs and memory.  Things gotta work like clockwork or it just fails.

Both CF & SD cards where in the camera at the same time.  I tested the SD card first and it failed 3 times before I switched to the CF card where it failed 7 times.  Both cards were formatted in camera. Both cards are 32GB cards so plenty of room. Battery was down to 50%

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2013, 04:36:26 PM »