August 21, 2014, 06:34:46 PM

Author Topic: Magic Lantern 2.3 Available as Free Download  (Read 16587 times)

emag

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Lantern 2.3 Available as Free Download
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2012, 01:00:22 PM »
Diane -

ML is not installed into the camera, the program resides on the CF or SD card to which the ML program is copied.  On the ML website you'll find instructions for installation of ML onto a CF/SD card and *also* instructions for removal of ML from the same card.  What Marsu42 was referring to (I believe) is that removal of ML from a CF/SD card is not accomplished by simply deleting the ML files from the card, it must be low-level formatted in the camera (not a card reader).   What this also means is that if you wish to run ML on multiple card, it must be installed on each card.  I have several with ML installed on which I wrote 'ML' with a marker, and several without ML on which I wrote....nothing.  If you've never used ML, you're in for a treat.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2012, 01:00:22 PM »

Tracy Pinto

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2012, 01:07:14 PM »
I loaded it on the 5d II and love it. It remains on your card so it works only when a card with the software is loaded. When you take out that card the camera returns to the Canon firmware.

gratomlin

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • pbase
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2012, 07:19:57 PM »
Thanks marsu42 and emag for your replies, much appreciated and thanks for your time, I will try it on multiple cards.
Once again thank you for taking time to reply
5d mkIII, 7d, 10-22, 24-105, 70-200 IS, sigma 150 macro, 12-24 mk ii and 150-500

DianeK

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2012, 08:00:43 PM »
Diane -

ML is not installed into the camera, the program resides on the CF or SD card to which the ML program is copied.  On the ML website you'll find instructions for installation of ML onto a CF/SD card and *also* instructions for removal of ML from the same card.  What Marsu42 was referring to (I believe) is that removal of ML from a CF/SD card is not accomplished by simply deleting the ML files from the card, it must be low-level formatted in the camera (not a card reader).   What this also means is that if you wish to run ML on multiple card, it must be installed on each card.  I have several with ML installed on which I wrote 'ML' with a marker, and several without ML on which I wrote....nothing.  If you've never used ML, you're in for a treat.

Thank you!  Now for another luddite question....if I have ML on my card then take photos on this card, do I use MOVE instead of COPY when uploading to Lightroom?  My usual workflow is to copy, not move, leaving the images on the card until I am certain they properly uploaded and are backed up in two places.  Then I will do a low-level format on the card before shooting again.  But I'm gathering with ML on the card, I don't want to do a low-level format, correct?  What if I do a normal, not low-level, format...will that remove the images but leave the ML files intact?
Diane

The_Arsonist

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Casey Roberts Photography
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2012, 09:53:01 PM »
Thank you!  Now for another luddite question....if I have ML on my card then take photos on this card, do I use MOVE instead of COPY when uploading to Lightroom?  My usual workflow is to copy, not move, leaving the images on the card until I am certain they properly uploaded and are backed up in two places.  Then I will do a low-level format on the card before shooting again.  But I'm gathering with ML on the card, I don't want to do a low-level format, correct?  What if I do a normal, not low-level, format...will that remove the images but leave the ML files intact?
Diane

When you do a format on the card with ML installed, it is set to keep ML installed by default. It allows you to do a complete format and remove ML if you hit the func. key before formatting. I normally just delete all images, rather than format.
Fuji X100s
50D with Katzeye-------FL 55 1.2 (EdMika)--------Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS-------Rokinon 8mm Fisheye

DianeK

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2012, 11:02:15 PM »
Thank you!
Diane

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2012, 04:04:10 AM »
O.K., I am a total luddite so I don't really understand what you are saying here.  Not accusing you of poor communication at all, just asking if there is another to say this in such a way that someone whose only understanding of things electronic is how to use the on/off button :-[ ?

Ok, I'll try it once more :-) ... but really see also http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified/Install

To install ml on your camera two things need to be done, both are done once by installing the mini-ml firmware: set one flag in the camera and one on the cf/sd card. Then you just copy the ml files on this card, done. If you want to use another card, you have to set the flag on this card, too, by using a utility called "eoscard" and again copy the files.

If you have both flags set, there is only one catch (see red warning on the webpage): "Don't just delete the Magic Lantern files from the card! If you do, the camera will freeze at startup and you'll have to take the battery out." ... so each sd/cf card has to have *both* the flag and the files, or *neither* as a "clean" card.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2012, 04:04:10 AM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2012, 07:22:03 AM »
If they only would provide focus bracketing, i'd use it often.

I just did a feature request on the forum, feel free to +1 it: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2275.0

DianeK

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2012, 10:37:03 AM »
@Marsu and Arsonist: thank you for your replies but I feel too intimidated by all this to give ML a try at this time :-\
Diane

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2012, 02:47:10 PM »
Does anyone know how I can update my firmware edition? I have downloaded the Magic Lantern and then I realized that my firmware is old for my 5D II (2.0.9, and the current is 2.1.2). Do I need to have a CF reader? (I normally transport my images through the cable, since my computer only has a SD reader.

Thank you,

G.

Hei,

They instruct specifically that the card should be removed from the camera and connected to a computer via card reader before copying the firmware file:
http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/infobank/firmware/updating_firmware.do

I've never tried to copy the files by connecting the cam via USB - not sure if it would cause malfunction or not...

Cheers!

Thank you. I have downloaded it two times. My problem is that it will not open. I tried several times, but the .fir will not open. I downloaded the latest firmware for my borrowed 1Ds III without any problems, but the one for my 5D II will not open. I called Canon Support today and they told me that they give no support for udating firmware, and suggested that I turn it in for service. I would rather do it for free :) Any suggestions?
1Dx, 5DII w/grip, 3x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon: 8-15L, 16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 17L TS, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

well_dunno

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2012, 03:34:56 PM »
you mean the downloaded file would not open? I downloaded from the link below and it worked fine (assuming you are using windows):

http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/System/Search.aspx?TcmUri=tcm:13-907037

Cheers!

heptagon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2012, 03:36:10 PM »
They have focus stacking, but not bracketing.

... should be trivial to implement, did you do a feature request on the new forum's section?
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=24.0

I didn't but someone else did it for me :)

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2012, 03:55:07 PM »
you mean the downloaded file would not open? I downloaded from the link below and it worked fine (assuming you are using windows):

Cheers!

I downloaded it again, and the zipped file will not open. I get this dialoge box saying that "Windows cannot open the file.. To open the file Windows need to know what program you want to use to open it.... then search the computer or the web to find program" I have tried to find programs that can help me to open it on the web, but I am getting sent to various bogus programs that are trying to sell me different products.

I have windows 7, could that be it?

I has also information in the written material from Canon that if you download it to a Mac, it will open automatically. If I get someone to download it for me to a mac, will that cause problems if I take it from the mac to a CF card, when my own operating system is windows?
Canon: 8-15L, 16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 17L TS, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2012, 03:55:07 PM »

well_dunno

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2012, 06:47:40 AM »

Cheers!

I downloaded it again, and the zipped file will not open. I get this dialoge box saying that "Windows cannot open the file.. To open the file Windows need to know what program you want to use to open it.... then search the computer or the web to find program" I have tried to find programs that can help me to open it on the web, but I am getting sent to various bogus programs that are trying to sell me different products.

I has also information in the written material from Canon that if you download it to a Mac, it will open automatically. If I get someone to download it for me to a mac, will that cause problems if I take it from the mac to a CF card, when my own operating system is windows?

hm- zip extension is missing file association then. Windows 7 should actually have an inbuilt program called "compressed folders". However, if I am not mistaken,  to reassociate it, you would need to change some registry values which might be complicated. You could use third party programs such as extractor or extractnow to save the day I imagine. They should be freeware.

With regards to the mac question; I never used mac but once the file is extracted and you have the .fir file on hand, it should not  matter whether it comes from a mac or windows. the . fir file should be the same, only compressed differently to be opened in windows and mac respectively...

I hope it helps!

Cheers!

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2012, 09:06:53 AM »

Cheers!

hm- zip extension is missing file association then. Windows 7 should actually have an inbuilt program called "compressed folders". However, if I am not mistaken,  to reassociate it, you would need to change some registry values which might be complicated. You could use third party programs such as extractor or extractnow to save the day I imagine. They should be freeware.

With regards to the mac question; I never used mac but once the file is extracted and you have the .fir file on hand, it should not  matter whether it comes from a mac or windows. the . fir file should be the same, only compressed differently to be opened in windows and mac respectively...

I hope it helps!

Cheers!

Thank you for your continious support. It goes to show that I am a moron when it comes to technical questions. When I downloaded the 1Ds III firmware update, I had to open the filen, then put it on the SD card and do the procedure in camera. I mistakingly believed that to be the case with my 5D II too, but no. I called a service center today, and they told me to put the downloaded file as is onto the CF card and start the process in camera. I did, it worked, and I felt like a complete moron! :)

Now I only have to figure how to install the ML software correctly on my camera. I am looking at different videos on youtube on how to install it as we speak :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2012, 09:06:53 AM »