December 20, 2014, 05:35:48 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS-1D C Available?  (Read 13983 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canon EOS-1D C Available?
« on: August 24, 2012, 09:04:55 AM »
Update….
Here’s a Canon EOS-1D C in someones lucky hands.It is a preproduction model, and not the retail version.

I do think it’s a good sign that more people are getting their hands on the camera, as we should start to see lots of 4K footage from the EOS-1D C. As for retail availability, the EOS-1D C will start shipping to customers sometime before the end of 2012.

The camera is still listed at $14,999USD and not yet available for preorder.

Canon EOS-1D C Unboxed – 4K Wedding Shoot This Weekend – Click for larger

Already shipping?
I have received two reports of people buying retail versions of the Canon EOS-1D C, one of them in Australia. I haven’t yet seen pictures to confirm this.

If you have received an EOS-1D C, I’d love to see an unboxing.

c

« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 09:48:46 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon EOS-1D C Available?
« on: August 24, 2012, 09:04:55 AM »

pakosouthpark

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS-1D C Available?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 09:48:13 AM »
would like to see the outcome of this camera!
you reckon cinema ppl will use this?

peederj

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 09:50:15 AM »
I think they will all be preproduction units. I would be impressed if Canon sells more than 100 of these. The Blackmagic Cinema Camera, which I think may sell over 10,000 units, deeply undercuts this white elephant and will likely beat it to market.

seanmcr6

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 11:02:30 AM »
While I love the BMCC (on paper) it is NOT a 4K camera. For those that need 4K, it will not undercut any of them.

facedodge

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 11:27:23 AM »
It would be interesting to compare the sharpness of the 1DX 1080 to the 1DC shot in 4K but downscaled to 1080. For those that want the highest IQ, the 1DC could compete with HD cameras if the extra PP conversion is not too much of a headache.

HurtinMinorKey

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 12:28:56 PM »
While I love the BMCC (on paper) it is NOT a 4K camera. For those that need 4K, it will not undercut any of them.

Anyone who needs 4K, also wants raw, which the 1DC doesn't do. This camera is a joke. It's a combination of pro features with amateur features, with a pro price tag. Maybe they'll get some journalists to buy it, but the pro cinema people have better options. 

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 01:03:19 PM »

Yes, but mostly as a B cam in the cinema world and for low-budget productions.  Shane Hurlbut shot a short with it and loved it, had a lot of good things to say:
http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2012/04/the-next-gen-in-digital-film-capture-canons-4k-1dc/

It does very well in low light, resolution looks great, and it shoots 4K onto CF cards for crying out loud.  I thought the footage on Vimeo looked better than the footage straight out of a 5DIII/1DX, even with Vimeo's crap encoding that creates artifacts and messes with the color. 

One thing I can't believe is that they are actually running with the $15k price.  I heard it may actually debut at $12k (kind of like the C300 was announced at $20k but debuted at $16k).  But I mean seriously what hardware on this thing is any different from the 1DX?  I know it has all the same still features, but I want to know what physical changes they made for this to shoot 4K or if it's just a $7k firmware update.  They said the price was due to "development costs," but they could have sold a hell of alot of these if they had priced it at $8k.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 01:03:19 PM »

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 01:08:38 PM »
It would be interesting to compare the sharpness of the 1DX 1080 to the 1DC shot in 4K but downscaled to 1080. For those that want the highest IQ, the 1DC could compete with HD cameras if the extra PP conversion is not too much of a headache.

The 1DC is better for sure, here is a short that was shot exactly the way you described:
https://vimeo.com/40528247

Now I have uploaded hundreds of videos to Vimeo shot on DSLR's, and Vimeo's encoder sucks, it creates artifacts and changes the color slightly.  But I think even the Vimeo footage from the 1DC looks better than the footage straight out of the 5DIII.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 01:10:49 PM »

Yeah I saw the footage, and it looks great, but it has a crop factor of 2.4 which really kills it for me.  I mean I love the implementation, the interface, thunderbolt port, price,  pretty much everything about it but the crop factor.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 01:29:52 PM »

Yes, but mostly as a B cam in the cinema world and for low-budget productions.  Shane Hurlbut shot a short with it and loved it, had a lot of good things to say:
http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2012/04/the-next-gen-in-digital-film-capture-canons-4k-1dc/

It does very well in low light, resolution looks great, and it shoots 4K onto CF cards for crying out loud.  I thought the footage on Vimeo looked better than the footage straight out of a 5DIII/1DX, even with Vimeo's crap encoding that creates artifacts and messes with the color. 

One thing I can't believe is that they are actually running with the $15k price.  I heard it may actually debut at $12k (kind of like the C300 was announced at $20k but debuted at $16k).  But I mean seriously what hardware on this thing is any different from the 1DX?  I know it has all the same still features, but I want to know what physical changes they made for this to shoot 4K or if it's just a $7k firmware update.  They said the price was due to "development costs," but they could have sold a hell of alot of these if they had priced it at $8k.

Yeah it's dumb. The video division probably wants protection.
Canon could've continued taking over the mini-cam end of things and had market domination sustained into the future, instead they went into stupid internal segmentation and protection modes and decided they had to go for huge margin per body and IMO are gonna let it largely slip all away from them. They will still get some sales to be sure but they will very much just one among many, at best.
Look at the simple basics they cut out of the 5D3 just for protection. So short sighted.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 02:41:00 PM »
Yeah it's dumb. The video division probably wants protection.
Canon could've continued taking over the mini-cam end of things and had market domination sustained into the future, instead they went into stupid internal segmentation and protection modes and decided they had to go for huge margin per body and IMO are gonna let it largely slip all away from them. They will still get some sales to be sure but they will very much just one among many, at best.
Look at the simple basics they cut out of the 5D3 just for protection. So short sighted.

I agree, I mean it's great that the 5DIII has a 1080p HDMI out for monitoring purposes, but would it have been that hard /much to ask to remove the damned overlays so we could use an external recorder?  The D800 footage recorded to the Atomos Ninja 2 looks friggin' amazing, and if I didn't have so much Canon glass I'd seriously consider switching over. 

They have left such a huge gap in the $4k-$8k large sensor video area, I mean who in their right mind would get a 1DX over an FS700 if they were looking for a video camera?  Hopefully when the BMD Cinema camera starts selling like hotcakes Canon will wake up and release something comparable.  The 2.4x crop is the only thing keeping me from getting the BMD Cam (although I might get it anyways).

HurtinMinorKey

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 02:57:10 PM »
Hopefully their retort will be a 5D-C that records 1080 raw for $4000.  But that'd piss off so many purchasers of the original 5D3, that I doubt it will happen.

roimund

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 04:57:14 PM »
why not go with a RED Scarlet? for 18k$ you get the Scarlet-X lightweight collection with a Canon mount (5" LCD, 4x64GB SSD + reader, 4x battery, etc.), that will do 4K 16-bit RAW (vs. 8-bit 4:2:2) and will have 15EV of dynamic range with the upgrade coming.. why bother with this thing?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 04:57:14 PM »

bp

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 06:27:23 PM »
Hopefully their retort will be a 5D-C that records 1080 raw for $4000.  But that'd piss off so many purchasers of the original 5D3, that I doubt it will happen.

Personally (as a 5D3 purchaser myself) I'd love to see them come out with a 5D-C at a price point below the 1D-C.  I have no need of 4K - it would be cool to have, but I'm also realistic.  As for being pissed about the 5D3, I knew what I was buying when I got it, nobody put a gun to my head, have been very happy with it, but I still look forward to what might come out next
5D3 - 5D2 - 7D - T2i   | 24L II | 35L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 24-105L | 70-200 IS II | Shorty Forty | 50 1.4 | Bower 14 | Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 | 2x III

AG

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 09:07:27 PM »
One thing I can't believe is that they are actually running with the $15k price.  I heard it may actually debut at $12k (kind of like the C300 was announced at $20k but debuted at $16k). 

Retail here in Australia is $9,999AUD
http://www.techrific.com.au/canon-eos-1d-c-digital-slr-camera-body-only-1dc-free-gift-12mth-local-warranty-p-2956.html

But I mean seriously what hardware on this thing is any different from the 1DX?  I know it has all the same still features, but I want to know what physical changes they made for this to shoot 4K or if it's just a $7k firmware update.  They said the price was due to "development costs," but they could have sold a hell of alot of these if they had priced it at $8k.

This is why I'm wondering how hard it could be for the ML team or similar to hack the 1DX with the 1DC firmware.
That would suddenly make this a $6500 camera (and have a lot of angry customers feeling ripped off)
Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 09:07:27 PM »