July 28, 2014, 02:53:27 AM

Author Topic: Neck strap alternatives  (Read 34404 times)

red5

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Neck strap alternatives
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »
I've had my Blackrapid RS DR-1 for over a year now.  Works great with 2 5Ds gripped, 2 flashes, 2 lenses and they work like a champ.  Cool thing too, is that I can separate it make it a single sling.  I love this thing as it never puts strain on my neck.  Carrying this at Comic-Con (in Single strap mode from 6:00am to 12:00am) is awesome.  My neck doesn't get sweaty or strained anymore.  I use the dual for weddings and such and it feels great.  It is a little pricey, but I think it's worth it, at least design wise.

I wouldn't worry about the tension on the screw.  So far it holds up great!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »

Redreflex

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2011, 04:24:29 PM »
I'm worried that the screw could work itself loose when I'm not aware and there is no safety strap or anything as a back-up. Making me even more paranoid is the fact that I use a battery grip, so in my mind there are two possible points of failure: the lug that attaches to the strap and the connection between the battery grip and the camera.

On the official company website, there is a video with a tip about placing a touch of water between the rubber ring and camera body that helps create a tighter hold once it dries. I've tried it with and without moisture - works fine either way.  I do tend to re-check that the screw is tightly on the camera a few minutes and again several hours after I've mounted it - never been lose.  Good point about the grip. I have a 7D gripped, no problems. I tend to be pretty careful about my gear, and the slight reservation I had about the camera dropping to the floor were quickly dissipated after my first day out with the strap.

LuCoOc

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2011, 04:24:49 PM »
Is this an unrealistic fear? I've thought about fastening some sort of a "safety loop" attaching the regular camera strap lugs to the Black Rapid strap. Anybody consider doing that, or do you all have complete confidence that the Black Rapid lug won't work itself look while the camera is dangling from it?

I have an RS-4 for almost two months now and used it alot during a three week-trip to the US. I carried it with a backpack on dayhikes in Yosemite and the FastenR-3 never worked itself loose. However my friends 400D almost fell down because his normal Neckstrap somehow got loose.

Making me even more paranoid is the fact that I use a battery grip, so in my mind there are two possible points of failure: the lug that attaches to the strap and the connection between the battery grip and the camera.

The standart strap also has two points to fail ;) but since it is what everyone uses and hardly anyone has problems with it people trust it 100%.
My advice is to order the BlackRapid and trust it 99%. It won't work itself loose in a single day so if you controll it every evening you're fine - I found myself playing around with it when I was bored on buses. Screed it off screed it in --> tight again
7D - BG
3 Ls - 2 EF-s - 2 M42s
430EX II - YN560-III

Redreflex

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2011, 04:32:56 PM »
I have an RS-4 for almost two months now and used it alot during a three week-trip to the US. I carried it with a backpack on dayhikes in Yosemite and the FastenR-3 never worked itself loose.

How have you managed to get both a backpack and a black rapid strap on at the same time?

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2011, 04:50:38 PM »
I have an RS-4 for almost two months now and used it alot during a three week-trip to the US. I carried it with a backpack on dayhikes in Yosemite and the FastenR-3 never worked itself loose.

How have you managed to get both a backpack and a black rapid strap on at the same time?

I actually have done the same thing. I put the BlackRapid on first, then my backpack. The straps to overlap on the left side but there is no conflict on the right. It was just like using a BR strap normally.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2011, 04:52:18 PM »

I'm going to guess: all of us?  Seriously though -- Even the flipside 300 doesn't interfere with this strap.

Actually, with the added space from the toploader (AW55), if I'm at a touristy place I'll use the smaller flipside 200 with one extra lens in the toploader and the camera on/off.  The toploader actually allows for you to keep the blackrapid ON your shoulder/be usable at the same time it's in the bag (as long as you zip the camera latch at the bottom.

You kinda look like a dork, but hey, when YOU are the one taking the pictures, who cares? :)
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

LuCoOc

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2011, 04:59:57 PM »

I actually have done the same thing. I put the BlackRapid on first, then my backpack. The straps to overlap on the left side but there is no conflict on the right. It was just like using a BR strap normally.

Yes.
Blackrapid first, then your backpack. you can even use the waist and breast straps of your backpack. simply close them under the Blackrapid and it works perfectly.
Keep in mind to take things like batteries and memory cards out of the small pocket. It's very annoying when your backpack's left shoulder strap has to be adjusted every ten minutes
7D - BG
3 Ls - 2 EF-s - 2 M42s
430EX II - YN560-III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2011, 04:59:57 PM »

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2011, 05:44:04 PM »
well, I love it.  I haven't really walked around that much since it just arrived, but I adjusted it and hope to use it tonight and this weekend.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2011, 05:50:50 PM »
Echoing the above.  Well over a year with a BR RS-4, several hundred hours of dangling cameras, sometimes from a tripod ring, sometimes from the battery grip on the 7D or 5DII.  I'm in the habit of checking FastenR and the thumbwheel connecting grip to body every few times I put the camera on. On a couple of occasions, I've found one or the other connection point slightly loose (often the grip thumbwheel) - so, it's a really good habit.

I commonly wear a BR strap and another bag. Sometimes, that's a Lowepro Toploader Pro 55 AW or 75 AW cross-slung, sometimes a loaded Lowepro Flipside 400 AW.  As stated, BR strap then backpack, with hip belt and chest strap under the BR strap.  Works great.

RE looking like a dork - I think the big camera and lens takes care of that. A few pieces of nylon can't make it much worse.  :p   
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2011, 06:01:02 PM »
I read a lot about straps from this forum and other reviews. It seems to me that all the "better"straps has buckles, hooks, rings, quick releases at both ends of the strap. Does anybody knows a comfortable, good and simple camera straps that are without rings, hooks or quick release. The original Canon strap fit my bill except that it is not comfortable.
On one of the discussion here it was mention about the fastening of the original strap was undone by itself and end up the camera was dropped. I would suggest that the ends of strap to be looped back to the buckle one more time this make itvery tight.

Harley

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2011, 07:44:27 PM »
Take a look at the Split Strap at the Photojojo store...

http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/split-strap/

They also have another version of the tripod-mount fastener called the Strapbuddy:
http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/camera-strap-buddy/
EOS 7D, EF 17-40mm f/4 L, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG EX, FD TS 35mm f/2.8, FL 55mm f/1.2, FD 300mm f/2.8 L

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2011, 08:41:58 PM »
Would you recommend getting a tripod collar for the 70-200mm f/4 IS and then attaching the BR to the tripod collar?  Or will attaching it to the 5D2 with that lens be good/safe enough?

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
anyone have any suggestions/comments in regards to my previous question?  Thanks!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2011, 05:02:20 PM »
Would you recommend getting a tripod collar for the 70-200mm f/4 IS and then attaching the BR to the tripod collar?  Or will attaching it to the 5D2 with that lens be good/safe enough?

The weight isn't an issue - I carry my 5DII + 85mm f/1.2L II like that, and the 85L is several ounces heavier than the 70-200mm f4L IS.  But, it might feel a little unbalanced/front-heavy, since the zoom is much longer than the 85L (which is called the magic cannonball for a reason).  I'd suggest trying without the ring (the Canon one is expensive!), and see how it does, getting the ring later if you want.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Chicorob

« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2011, 05:11:23 PM »

The weight isn't an issue - I carry my 5DII + 85mm f/1.2L II like that, and the 85L is several ounces heavier than the 70-200mm f4L IS.  But, it might feel a little unbalanced/front-heavy, since the zoom is much longer than the 85L (which is called the magic cannonball for a reason).  I'd suggest trying without the ring (the Canon one is expensive!), and see how it does, getting the ring later if you want.

I have tried mine on the body and on the ring with a gripped 5DII 70-200 f/2.8 combo and I much prefer the ring due to the balance issue.  With that lens on it sits at more of a 45 degree angle when connected to the body.  When it is connected to the ring (especially with a flash on) it sits parallel to the ground as it should.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2011, 05:11:23 PM »