Image & Video Galleries > HDR - High Dynamic Range

5d3: HDR VS Multiple Expsosure vs AEB

<< < (2/4) > >>

gferdinandsen:

--- Quote from: Jamesy on August 30, 2012, 01:27:59 PM ---Thanks for the pointers thus far.

If forgot to ask:
- Is it better to shoot M or Av? The 5D3 supports both HDR and AEB in both modes.
- Do you use mirror lock when shooting these scenes along with a remote shutter?

--- End quote ---

I usually shoot Av, if for some reason the centered metered shot looks off then I shoot M.  Also I was playing around with doing it handheld (as opposed to tripoded), and Nik Software's HDR Effex for CS6 did a great job of aligning the images, even when I shot 9 images and intentionally moved the camera around a bit.  CS6 does not do as good of job natively in my experience of aligning the images, but others may differ with me on that.

Jamesy:

--- Quote from: scrappydog on August 30, 2012, 02:18:45 PM ---I shoot in High speed, usually with a remote timer.

--- End quote ---
When you say High Speed you are referring to the 'Drive Mode' of 'High Speed Continuous'?

K-amps:

--- Quote from: scrappydog on August 30, 2012, 12:13:39 PM ---
If you want more than 3 shots, you may need to resort to Magic Lantern.

--- End quote ---

The OP has a 5D3, he can do 7 AEB brackets at +/-3EV. 

My preference is 3AEB +/- 3EV for handheld or moving subjects like leaves etc. 5AEB at +/-2EV for tripodded stuff. Extreme cases like shooting indoors with an open window, you might need 5AEB @ +/- 3EV.

keithfullermusic:
i don't do HDRs often, but if i do i prefer to do at least 5 shots.  I might not use all of them, but some are useless depending on the range of the scene.

There is no rule regarding a standard +/- bracket - it depends on your scene.  If the sun is setting behind some trees you might have to do +/- 2 or 3.  If the sun is bright in the sky, and lighting up the foreground you might be able to get away with +/- 2 or even 1.  My point is that it just really depends.  It also depends on what you focus on, because that will determine the 0 exposure.

So, my point is, try it at 5 or 7 shots to be safe, and just discard the ones you don't want.

You can process them in Photoshop HDR merge or Photomatix, NIK, etc., but my favorites are when you do them in PS and use luminosity masks and brushes to paint them in.  It avoids that uber HDR look, however, some people like that - so it's really up to you.

96Brigadier:

--- Quote from: K-amps on August 30, 2012, 04:22:25 PM ---
--- Quote from: scrappydog on August 30, 2012, 12:13:39 PM ---
If you want more than 3 shots, you may need to resort to Magic Lantern.

--- End quote ---

The OP has a 5D3, he can do 7 AEB brackets at +/-3EV. 

My preference is 3AEB +/- 3EV for handheld or moving subjects like leaves etc. 5AEB at +/-2EV for tripodded stuff. Extreme cases like shooting indoors with an open window, you might need 5AEB @ +/- 3EV.

--- End quote ---

The 5D3 goes well beyond +-3 EV, I routinely shoot +- 4 or 5 EV.  I can't recall how far you can go but it's beyond +-5.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version