July 31, 2014, 08:35:38 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 6D Service Advisory  (Read 6741 times)

8TMacro

Re: Canon EOS 6D Service Advisory
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 09:12:27 AM »
If you spend all your time making a perfect product with zero problems ever, then you will go out of business because of product manufacturing costs. There has to be a balance, It's just the harsh reality of it all.

Very true.  The only complex software and firmware in existence that is certified to be absolutely bug-free is that of the NASA space shuttles.  Mechanical issues are a different animal, but their software is perfect.  As someone who has worked in firmware for the past 16 years, that boggles my mind - yet I know it is achievable... at great expense and personal cost.  You're just not going to get that in a camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 09:12:27 AM »

pakosouthpark

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2012, 10:35:35 AM »
is not that bad of an issue.
but doubt that this is the only thing until now. I'll wait another 2 weeks for more problems. would like to purchase this camera in the new year and go to iceland! :)

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 10:49:03 PM »

You've picked exactly the wrong company to hold up as an example of purity.

I worked for Honda and read internal technical papers acknowledging problems I knew existed as an owner before I worked there. And they had no intention of correcting them -- in those or any subsequent models. There are no companies that will universally treat the customer with fairness and honesty.

I am losing respect for companies pushing products out before testing properly. Why can't they do like Honda? I know its been going on for a while with companies, prob since the beginning of time but social media like these forums catch fire over this type of stuff. I was ever so lucky to be a first 1dm3 owner that had shutter and focus issues. I didn't have major problems but still had the recall. Seriously if Canon weren't so big and the fact that other companies also fail like this they would be out of business. I felt shame for the same thing happening in a company i used to work for where i found an issue and they said well if the customer complains we will address it then. Seriously, made me sick to my stomach that I had to send product out that i wouldn't buy knowing the issues. All for the almighty dollar.
I knew saying Honda was a bad idea lol. But the very next post! Wow... Let me say this a friend of mine was an engineer there and he said they ate slept breathed Honda, complete obsession to perfection. Honestly i wouldn't want to work there and he said he quit because he had life and other interests outside of Honda and didn't like that lifestyle. However, I do want to buy something from someone obsessed. I obsess over my images and my clients get the benefit of that. Am i half as good as many of you here, heck no but I am proud of my output and quality of it. Ok so Honda isn't in fact perfect and sometimes miss the mark but out of the 9 cars i have owned in my life my 2 hondas only had regular maint. There were a couple recalls on my current one but recalls that had no impact on the regular operation and would never know there was a prob cept for a letter. At least they took action even though I had my car 4 yrs already.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

Botts

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 05:21:57 PM »
    I for one actually would like paid firmware feature upgrades better than non at all - firmware is basically a software, and people who keep working on it after initial release deserve some $$$, that's how it works for the rest of the software world. I know this has been discussed before, but I still think a company doing more feature upgrades or innovations in formware would have a market advantage - the reactions to the 7d update proves that the customer base is more forgiving for big flaws when given small favors.

Interesting thoughts.  It might encourage the companies to innovate more with their firmware as new features are thought of, or put more effort into developing firmware faster.  I for one would have paid for the 7D's big update as soon as I could!!

It may also however, encourage a company to release crippled software knowing that they can charge for the "features" a month or two later.
6D, Sigma 35/1.4, 40STM, 50/1.4, 70-200/4 IS, 430ex II
T2i, 17-55/2.8 IS, 270ex

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 05:33:29 PM »
It may also however, encourage a company to release crippled software knowing that they can charge for the "features" a month or two later.

The base functionality has to be there, and Canon is in the habit of delivering just that anyway.

The main blocking issue for more firmware innovation probably is a) a conservative company policy and b) the pro userbase that won't forgive buggy firmware beyond what is "normal" now just after release - and since Canon uses basically the same firmware for all models (that's why Magic Lantern is easily ported) there are less innovations even for enthusiast/amateur models.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 05:33:29 PM »