November 29, 2014, 01:31:07 AM

Author Topic: Europe trip, 1-2 months  (Read 12861 times)

Imagination_landB

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Europe trip, 1-2 months
« on: September 12, 2012, 01:51:28 AM »
Well the title says it all. I'll do a trip in Europe (all of its countries including Russia) for a period of 1 to 2 months and want to know where you guys have been and where would you recommend me to go, places that worth to go and take PICTURES.
 I'll take a (almost)universal train pass so I can go everywhere.
Beautiful landscapes, train stations, cities, zoo's, library, castles,nice architecture,bridges,historicals sites, waterfalls,mountains,nice cruises.. as you might understand, everything that makes a nice photo is welcome in suggestions!
Even if you've never been into the old continent I want your ideas!
I'll bring all my important photo stuff(tripod,remote,8-16sigma,24-70 tamron,50 1.4 sigma,120-300 sigma.canon 60D) so no type of pictures is excluded.
Thaaank you.
6D, Gripped 60D. 120-300 2.8 OS, 50 1.8, 8-16, 24-70 VC.

canon rumors FORUM

Europe trip, 1-2 months
« on: September 12, 2012, 01:51:28 AM »

Gman

Re: Europe trip, 1-2 months
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 02:22:35 AM »
Barcelona, Genova, Sevile, and Florence Venice if you can put up with thousands of tourists dumped everyday by those obscene cruise liners. Of course one must not forget Rome and finally one's home neck of the woods, Lisbon and nearby Sintra.
Enjoy your trip.

MarcPool

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 03:08:59 AM »
Brugge, Ghent and Brussels in Belgium. Wonderful city’s and the best beer in the world.

Amsterdam, it’s more than the red light district and legal to get high. It’s a beautiful old city.

In France I would go to Aix en Provance, very nice city. And the Provance is one of the most beautiful areas in Europe. Also go to Bordeaux (wine district, very nice! and Paris (duh)

In the UK don’t just do London, but also go to the Scottish Highlands.

Iceland, amazing landscapes, not much more and very expensive.

kentandersen

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 03:57:02 AM »
There is alot of places I could recomend.

If you want to see mountains. The highest and most dramatic ones are at the border between France, Switzerland and Italy. You can take a train all the way up to Zermat in Switzerland.

If you are going by car, I would recomend you to take the time to drive the Grossglockner High Alpin Road in Austria. It has an amazing view, and you are driving the car up to around 3000m. It is one of the most specktacular roads in European alps. This is the alps at is best.

I would also recomend Avignon in France. An historical city, where the pope was held in prison for a years and years. There is lots of cheep hotels in that town.

If you like castles, I would recomend you to take a look at the northern alp region. The combination of mountains and castles are definently unbeatable. Schloss Neuschwanstein in Bavarian alps (Füssen), is the model of the Disney castle.

Salzburg is definently one of the most beautiful cities in Europe. There is a reason why every Japanese that are visiting Europe makes a stop there. And, the extreme green grass in "the sound of music" is real. You find it in Salzburg Alps. If you are staying in Europe untill December, Salzburg has a remarkable christmas marked. This is an old fashioned marked, in the old city center.

I would also recomend you to take a look at the north atlantic coast. Both the coast of Schotland and the northern coast of Denmark has some encredible light. If youre budget allow you, I would also recomend the coast of Norway. The combinatioin of some of the longest fjords in the world, ocean and high mountain is amazing. Bergen, in Norway, is by no doubt worth an visit. The west coast train ends there. It has much of the same beauty as Salzburg. Further North in Norway you will find the artic landscape... but to see that will cost you a fortune. If you are not planing to visit Narvik, wich is reachable with train. From there you can go by boat to Lofoten, wich has an unique nature. The beauty of Lofoten  is a mixture of high mountain landscape, starting at sea level, the big ocean, lots and lots of small islands, with small fishing villages spread around in the landscape.

Anyhow, every part of Europe has its beauty.

tomscott

• 5D Mark III
  • Graphic Designer & Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Tom Scott | Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 04:17:21 AM »
Europe isnt a strip mall. You could spend a two months traveling Britain.... its a big place.

But you have to hit Cumbria, England. One of the most beautiful places in the world.

Ulswater, Cumbria, Winter 2010 by tom_scott88, on Flickr

Ulswater, Cumbria, Winter 2010 by tom_scott88, on Flickr

Ulswater Steamer, Cumbria, Winter 2010 by tom_scott88, on Flickr

Hallin Fell, Ulswater, Cumbria, Aug 2012 by tom_scott88, on Flickr

Hallin Fell, Ulswater, Cumbria Aug 2012 by tom_scott88, on Flickr

IMG_4751-Edit by tom_scott88, on Flickr

Ulswater Boat House by tom_scott88, on Flickr

Ullswater May 2012 by tom_scott88, on Flickr

Conison Water Feb 2012 by tom_scott88, on Flickr
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 04:22:00 AM by tomscott »
5D MKIII 40D 17-55mm F2.8 IS 16-35mm F2.8 II L 24-70mm F2.8 L 24-105mm F4 IS L 100mm F2.8 IS L 70-200mm F2.8 IS II L 70-300mm F4-5.6 IS L 50mm F1.8 2x Ex 580EX

Hillsilly

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 05:02:09 AM »
I assume you're ok with the major cities / attraction.  Some other interesting places that I've come across: -

Glastonbury Tor, UK - while you're there, check out the Abbey (King Arthurs is buried there) and Chalice Well.  If you have a car, Glastonbury is a good base for exploring the region - Stonehenge, Wells, Bath, the coast, Exmoor, Cheddar etc.     

The Red Lion Pub, Avebury - the only pub inside a stone circle

Arbor Low, Peak District, UK - its a stone circle in the middle of some guy's farm.

Nine Ladies Stone Circle, Peak District - very photogenic at sunset.  BTW, if you're heading to the Peak District, spend at least one night at Chatsworth House (ie Cavendish Hotel).  Girls will be very impressed.  In fact, spend a week there - its a good base for exploring the area and there are a lot of interesting and scenic walks, towns etc.

Tintagel, Cornwall, UK - King Arthur used to live there and its got a cool looking post office.

(If you're detecting a King Arthur, Stone circle theme, you're right - I've done several trips searching for the holy grail and my wife is a tarot card reader...) 

The "Jurassic Coast", Uk - just watch out for dinosaurs!

The Abbey at Whitby, UK (and surrounding beaches) - great in the late afternoon.

York - if you like trains, vikings and walled cities, this is the place to be

Take a Boat Cruise on Loch Lomond, Scotland

Glencoe, Scotland

There are a lot of waterfalls in Scotland...

Stirling Castle, Scotland - where you can get a great shot of the Wallace Monument.  The staff are very good - If they don't offer, ask them to take your picture in the King / Queen's seat.

Basilica di San Miniato al Monte, Florence - a bit of a walk out of town, but you get a nice view.

Anywhere in Tuscany

Rome - my favourite place in Europe.  If you're even half considering going to Europe and not visiting Rome, slap yourself a few times until you come to your senses.
Camera Obscura

pulsiv

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 05:24:13 AM »
If you should decide to come to germany, I strongly suggest you visit the so called "saxon switzerland" in eastern germany, close to the czech border. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saxon_Switzerland

the obvious choices would be scotland, norway and maybe tuscany or the alps...
anyway... have a nice trip! :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 05:24:13 AM »

Enrico

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 05:47:37 AM »
Well, Europe isn't exactly a small place... Im not sure whether I would go once for 2 months or twice for 1 month each and try to divide it into Norther Europe and Southern...

I think you will find that most of the cities, countries etc has alot to offer from a historical point of view. For each city I would do my research and pick carefully. There has been so much going on in Europe the past 2000 years so there's just too many things to see, castles, landscapes, places with an historical impact...

Ideas:

- "Hurtigrutten" - a 4 day boattrip following the Norweigian coastline, fjords, mountains, ocean

- Rome

- Venice

- Florence

- The Alps

- Stockholm, Sweden, beautiful city with lots of water, archipelago and amazingly good looking women

- Anywhere in Northern Scandinavia to be able to see and capture "the Northern Light"

- Scottish highlands (start in Edinburgh perhaps)

- Paris and perhaps the beaches of Normandy (D-Day you know...)

- Moscow

- Prague and Warzaw

- Croatian archipelago

- Greece, perhaps Athens and then visit some of the nice islands

- Amsterdam

- Barcelona

Good luck, have fun!

Deva

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 06:05:33 AM »
On your Southern leg:

Venice. Totally unique - there's a reason why 20 million tourists go there every year. Stay a night (or two), and see the city without the day trippers. Book a hotel in advance, and make sure it's one on the island and not the mainland.

Florence, for the architecture, especially the Duomo, and the Uffizi gallery.

Rome - the Colosseum, the Capitoline Hill, the Pantheon, and the Vatican is another day in itself. For something different, visit the Catacombs.

After Rome, take the opportunity to slip down to Naples (the underground tunnels in the UNESCO-heritage old city are worth a look-see, especially when they give you a candle to light your way down a 100m tunnel you can only get down sideways...) and see Pompeii and/or Herculaeneum - and take a trip to the top of Vesuvius.

From Naples, take the train to Brindisi, and then the ferry across to Greece (it may be covered by your rail pass). Obviously Athens has the Parthenon, and from there you can catch a ferry out to some of the islands. If you've only got time for one, try Mykonos - a quintessentially Greek town designed to confuse raiding pirates that you'll get totally lost in.

On your Northern leg:
Paris - the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, Montmartre, Notre Dame, the Arc de Triomphe - photography heaven.

Amsterdam - different architecture again, some great museums (e.g. Rijksmuseum), the Anne Frank house, and all those canals.

Stockholm - the Vasa museum is unique in the world (and Scandinavia's most visited museum). Scandinavians also go in for open-air museums, and I believe Stockholm has one of the oldest.

Edinburgh - the Castle, the Royal Mile, the different culture again.

kaihp

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 06:18:06 AM »
+1 on the Norwegian fjords. Lysefjorden is very accessible from Stavanger with Prekestolen (The preacher's pulpit) and Kjeragbolten among the highlights. Can be done in 1 day. If you're lucky the ferry will stop for watching the basejumpers near Kjeragbolten.
Not so accessible, but quite as beautiful: Geiranger. There's a reason why we're using a Norwegian word for fjords.

If you want to see some spectacular waterfalls, go to Norway as well.

As others say, there are plenty to see in Europe. First decide what you want to focus on, like nature or cities.

charliewphotos

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 06:32:22 AM »
If you're UK leg is only a couple of days, chances are you'll end up in London, if you want nature and wildlife e.t.c and don't want to stray too far from London Richmond Park early in the morning is good for deer/wildlife. If you're looking to go a bit further afield but not too far you should look at the Norfolk Broads, boat trips, scenerey and an impressive array of wildlife and less that 3 hours from the center of London.

If you're staying longer, definietly check out Scotland, Edinburgh is one of the most beautiful cities in the world!

Imagination_landB

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 06:28:49 PM »
Thank you all!
i'm starting to plan the trip, it's gonna be from april trough may, since it's the least expensive season and there's less tourists(even tough I know there will a lot anyway).
I know this is not a long trip for all Europe but I will choose the places(cities and countries) I will go to  (with my girlfriend) by looking where there's more opportunity to take picture and have wonderful memories. So for sure I will miss a lot of stuff, but I want to enjoy every place I will go.
6D, Gripped 60D. 120-300 2.8 OS, 50 1.8, 8-16, 24-70 VC.

Deva

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 04:47:53 AM »
Given the timing of your trip, you should think about Spain or Italy for Easter - these strongly Catholic countries do some fantastic Easter festivals and parades, which are very photogenic.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 04:47:53 AM »

webexpert

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 05:36:04 AM »
Don't forget Greece is one of the best places to visit for photographs as well as for vacations. The greek islands like santorini, crete, paros etc offer unique opportunities for photos of landscapes, social themes and architecture. Also in the mainland the city of navpliois fantastic, beautiful vilages like papigo and historical places are also strongly recommended. I would suggest to be in greece during the orthodox easter which is the most important event in the Greek calendar. The weather will be good (sunny and you might be able to swim in the southern parts) and don't forget that the Greeks have a tradition with hospitality. There is less danger for theft, and the costs are much lower compared to the rest of EE (except portugal and ex eastern countries).
So whatever place you choose we wait for your photos.

Jotho

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 06:01:27 AM »
Didn't see Ireland among tips.  Very beautiful and friendly. Spain the same but with fantastic food and wine.  Of course Italy. England Scotland of course, Wales Atlantic coast is awesome.  Why. not Eastern Europe? Prague! Amywhere in France. Certainly Scandinavia. Stockholm is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. 2 month is impossible to cover Europe as it would also be for USA.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 06:01:27 AM »