April 24, 2014, 01:35:20 AM

Author Topic: 1DX Focusing Issues... Please share your experiences...  (Read 6440 times)

clicstudio

• Rebel T5i
  • {+}
    • View Profile
    • clic::studio photography
1DX Focusing Issues... Please share your experiences...
« on: September 13, 2012, 01:08:43 PM »
I've been using the 1D X for a month and a half now...
For 9 years, I used 1D series cameras. My last was 1D IV.
I already put out about 15K photos on it. Yes, I work a lot...
Anyway. I am actually worried about the focusing on the camera. I would say that in 20% of the photos, the camera fails to focus or it is soft. I only have one lens, a 24-70 F2.8L I've been using for 6 years. I never shoot in AI Servo mode. Always in One Shot and I haven't changed the way I work. I move around a lot and manually change the focus points with the joystick, on the fly. I can't seem to find a reliable focusing method. I tried all of the new focusing modes. Zone Focusing, cross type, individual, etc... I am NOT getting the same accuracy I was getting on the 1D IV.
Even at F8.0, the focus is sharp on the focusing point but the rest of the image is blurry. Again, I am using the very same lens. Unfortunately I sold my 1D IV so I can't compare them side by side, but I am not used to having these issues and getting too many useless images...
I hope it is not a Full Frame issue. The cropped sensor, being smaller, might be sharper all around. I don't know. I am also seeing more distortion, vignetting and blur on the edges. Something i never got on a 1.3 crop sensor...
I though it might be an issue with the "old" lens not being able to keep up with the new 1DX focusing speed.
10 year-old technology...
 :-\
Please share your thoughts and experiences. I would like to know which focusing mode you find faster and more accurate.
I am getting the 24-70 F2.8L II tomorrow from Adorama. I will test it out. Hopefully, the camera and the lens will really work well together.
Cheers

Patrick

Canon 1D X, Canon 24-70 F2.8L II,  Canon SpeedLite 600 EX-RT, 5x Paul C. Buff Einstein Flashes with Pocket Wizard PowerMC2's, Pocket Wizard Mini-TT1, Pocket Wizard AC3.

canon rumors FORUM

1DX Focusing Issues... Please share your experiences...
« on: September 13, 2012, 01:08:43 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 1DX Focusing Issues... Please share your experiences...
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 01:25:30 PM »
A

F

M

A

;)

By which I mean, have you done an autofocus microadjustment on your lens?

I can say that the AF on my 1D X is bang on.  Ok, I don't have a 24-70.  But I have 10 AF lenses, all of which nail focus on nearly every shot, even at f/1.2.  Most of them have some amount of AFMA applied, in some cases 4 or more units (1 unit is 1/8 the depth of focus for the lens at max aperture, so a 4-unit adjustment means off by 50% of the depth of focus, on average).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Studio1930

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Studio 1930
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 01:59:07 PM »
I agree that you need to make sure you have AFMA set for your lens.  I would also recommend learning a new way to focus your shots since the 1DX has a ton of settings when it comes to auto focus and using one shot is probably not the best in many situations.  I used to use one shot quite a bit, but I almost never use it now and the 1DX rewards me with about a 98% hit rate even with some very difficult shots at 85 f/1.2 or 200 f/2.  That hit rate is after approximately 100K shots on my 1DX.  Yes, I shoot quite a bit too.

These videos might help understand the complex auto focus system on the 1DX.  I am still trying to learn what settings are best for each type of situation.  Get it right and you should get killer sharp images.

http://learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galleries/tutorials/eos_1dx_tutorials.shtml

If you use a tool like FoCal then you can test auto focus consistency which should help you understand what focus points are more consistent and if your lens is working properly.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 02:05:29 PM by Studio1930 »
-Darrin
Studio 1930
www.studio1930.com

Richard Lane

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 02:02:35 PM »
I've been using the 1D X for a month and a half now... My last was 1D IV.
The cropped sensor, being smaller, might be sharper all around. I don't know. I am also seeing more distortion, vignetting and blur on the edges. Something i never got on a 1.3 crop sensor...

I am getting the 24-70 F2.8L II tomorrow from Adorama.
Definitely try AFMA first! 

I also have the 24-70mm f/2.8L, 7D, MKIV and 1DX and yes the 24-70mm looks better on the 7D and MKIV since the crop factor will cut out the softness and Vignetting at the edges.  Since your focus is sharp in the center, it's probably just that the FF snesor is exposing the flaws of the 24-70mm, coupled with a poor AFMA mismatch.  So, congrats on the new version II lens, which has been reported to be sharper than version I.

As far as the AF is concerned.  The 1DX is the fastest and best AF camera that I have ever used.  The 1DX, like most cameras will struggle a bit in low light, low contrast situations.  So, lets take a look at your settings.  I never let the camera choose the AF point automatically.  So, I use single point for stationary subjects and single point with either 4 or 8 surrounding points for AI Servo tracking, and then I adjust the various cases depending on the target.  The only time that I would use one of the smaller Zone AF settings would be for a bird in flight or Aircraft with a clear uncluttered sky.

However, the camera should be bang on with single point and One Shot for stationary subjects.

Rich

Edited:  You should also update your firmware to 1.0.6 (if you haven't already) so that if you do need AFMA then the settings will be retained properly.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 02:23:14 PM by Richard Lane »

Caleb Luke

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 03:56:31 PM »
Agreed with everyone else. I was experiencing similar issues with my 1DX and decided to use FoCal on all of my lenses to ensure that wasn't the problem (or at least A problem). Doing this helped tremendously, even more so with my third party lenses than Canon glass.  Here's a few shots from a 5K this past weekend via 1DX and 70-200 2.8 II, most of them were keepers in regards to focus. The second shot was also in a forest overhang so it was quite dark in the original RAW file:

https://d268z752dz6xrf.cloudfront.net/memberdata/21820/1024x1024_wm_40_east_25_1_2182013475578442298_1465178488.jpg

https://d268z752dz6xrf.cloudfront.net/memberdata/21820/1024x1024_wm_40_east_25_1_2182013474182404925_1080329962.jpg

Like others mentioned, I too am also trying to get a firmer grasp on all of the AF capabilities...There are so many options. I used AF Scenario 3 with AI Servo for the above, if recall correctly.

dengor

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 04:21:40 PM »
There are I asked for AF accuracy for 1D4vs1DX earlier. In my opinition only 5 center column have enough 2.8 accuracy. But nobody agreed for me. I think in different cases it is more visible. Of course in bird shooting where object is far away it is less to jujge dismiss. In portrait photo, at center point only is too. And in diff cases may be sighnificant difference in accuracy 2.8vs5.6 which 1DX capable to. Nobody tried this. And clamed me. There are a lot of photographers don`t understand is the photo completely in focus or not (especcialy if whey haven`t try 1D`s before). The crops is more blurry. The full frame has narrower depth of focus. It is second possible case I think.

hammy

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 05:40:49 PM »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 05:40:49 PM »

clicstudio

• Rebel T5i
  • {+}
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 07:02:57 PM »
I agree that you need to make sure you have AFMA set for your lens.  I would also recommend learning a new way to focus your shots since the 1DX has a ton of settings when it comes to auto focus and using one shot is probably not the best in many situations.  I used to use one shot quite a bit, but I almost never use it now and the 1DX rewards me with about a 98% hit rate even with some very difficult shots at 85 f/1.2 or 200 f/2.  That hit rate is after approximately 100K shots on my 1DX.  Yes, I shoot quite a bit too.

These videos might help understand the complex auto focus system on the 1DX.  I am still trying to learn what settings are best for each type of situation.  Get it right and you should get killer sharp images.

http://learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galleries/tutorials/eos_1dx_tutorials.shtml

If you use a tool like FoCal then you can test auto focus consistency which should help you understand what focus points are more consistent and if your lens is working properly.

Thanx for your comment. I will get going on the micro adjustments. Hopefully the 24-70 II will be better as well...
And, FoCal is only for PC  :-\
I think I have to adjust my way of working... Which sucks since I've been working this way for 9 years and never had these many problems. I shoot models. I can't stop a paid photoshoot to check every photo on the camera, nor I want to slow down. It sucks when you are reviewing the photos on the computer and you have good poses and good expressions and the photos are unusable... It makes u feel bad.
This is my first Full Frame camera and I am kind of regretting it. Basically a cropped sensor has the best part of the sensor. The other 30% is the vignetting and distortion that nobody needs.
If you look closely at the focusing points on the image, they only cover 50% of the actual center of the frame. They should spread out the points, like on the 1D IV to cover more area.
If you are trying to focus on a face, shooting a full length body, the closest focusing point will be under the neck. Unless the model is wearing a shirt that contrasts with her skin or a necklace or something that the camera can pick up as a contrasty focusing point, the photo will be out of focus. Here is a sample to illustrate my point...
  I wish Canon had a cropped shooting mode like Nikon.  :-X
Canon 1D X, Canon 24-70 F2.8L II,  Canon SpeedLite 600 EX-RT, 5x Paul C. Buff Einstein Flashes with Pocket Wizard PowerMC2's, Pocket Wizard Mini-TT1, Pocket Wizard AC3.

clicstudio

• Rebel T5i
  • {+}
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 07:03:47 PM »
A

F

M

A

;)

By which I mean, have you done an autofocus microadjustment on your lens?

I can say that the AF on my 1D X is bang on.  Ok, I don't have a 24-70.  But I have 10 AF lenses, all of which nail focus on nearly every shot, even at f/1.2.  Most of them have some amount of AFMA applied, in some cases 4 or more units (1 unit is 1/8 the depth of focus for the lens at max aperture, so a 4-unit adjustment means off by 50% of the depth of focus, on average).

Thanx I will definitely try it! Cheers

clicstudio

• Rebel T5i
  • {+}
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 07:05:11 PM »
Agreed with everyone else. I was experiencing similar issues with my 1DX and decided to use FoCal on all of my lenses to ensure that wasn't the problem (or at least A problem). Doing this helped tremendously, even more so with my third party lenses than Canon glass.  Here's a few shots from a 5K this past weekend via 1DX and 70-200 2.8 II, most of them were keepers in regards to focus. The second shot was also in a forest overhang so it was quite dark in the original RAW file:

https://d268z752dz6xrf.cloudfront.net/memberdata/21820/1024x1024_wm_40_east_25_1_2182013475578442298_1465178488.jpg

https://d268z752dz6xrf.cloudfront.net/memberdata/21820/1024x1024_wm_40_east_25_1_2182013474182404925_1080329962.jpg

Like others mentioned, I too am also trying to get a firmer grasp on all of the AF capabilities...There are so many options. I used AF Scenario 3 with AI Servo for the above, if recall correctly.

Cool shots! Unfortunately FoCal is only for PC. I am on a Mac.  :o

clicstudio

• Rebel T5i
  • {+}
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 07:08:19 PM »

I agree it is complex. Changing the way I work because the camera can't keep up is kind of a let down. Maybe simple is better. I never missed a shot, either in AI Servo or One Shot with the 1D IV. I am seeing 20% of my work ruined.
I will try the AFMA and the AI Servo but to tell u the truth, I am disappointed. Specially about the low light focus search... The camera just doesn't want to focus, period.  :'(

wopbv4

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 07:09:26 PM »
Huhhm, 24-70.

I do have an issue when the lens focusses on a far away object, close by is fine.
I read an article about field curvature , see :

http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/528-canon2470f28ff?start=1

Now that I know about it, I notice it almost always when making landscape. Manually focussing on "hyperfocal distance" solves this problem.

Bought a TS-24 for landscape.

Anyway, in day to day life , I do not have a problem with 1DX 24-70 L (mark 1). It is spot on apart from the phenoma described above.

The first 24-70 where notorious as there were many bad ones among them????
1DX, 7D and lots of gear

clicstudio

• Rebel T5i
  • {+}
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 07:45:24 PM »
Huhhm, 24-70.

I do have an issue when the lens focusses on a far away object, close by is fine.
I read an article about field curvature , see :

http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/528-canon2470f28ff?start=1

Now that I know about it, I notice it almost always when making landscape. Manually focussing on "hyperfocal distance" solves this problem.

Bought a TS-24 for landscape.

Anyway, in day to day life , I do not have a problem with 1DX 24-70 L (mark 1). It is spot on apart from the phenoma described above.

The first 24-70 where notorious as there were many bad ones among them????
thanx for your reply. Interesting analysis of the lens.
I hope the new one has better IQ :/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 07:45:24 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 07:50:29 PM »
So far I've been getting the best results yet from any body for one shot mode AF from my 5D3 (similar to 1DX AF).
I haven't done much model type stuff yet though so even for one shot, my results are still tentative though.

I did see a few weird things during AI Servo which I am not sure about yet though. I have tested that in real world usage even less yet.

clicstudio

• Rebel T5i
  • {+}
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 07:56:54 PM »
So far I've been getting the best results yet from any body for one shot mode AF from my 5D3 (similar to 1DX AF).
I haven't done much model type stuff yet though so even for one shot, my results are still tentative though.

I did see a few weird things during AI Servo which I am not sure about yet though. I have tested that in real world usage even less yet.
I don't understand. You prefer Servo or one shot?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 07:56:54 PM »