Gear Talk > PowerShot

Down to the RX100 or G15...

(1/5) > >>

powershot2012:
I was so looking forward to the S100 successor, mainly for the Lens Error correction, but the changes seem disappointing.  Glad to see they finally addressed the poor focus issue, but touch screen, removed the grip, AND still the slow lens.

Then comes the G15 which is impressive.  By getting rid of the flip screen (yes, some like it, but I have never used it on my previous G cameras), the managed to reduce the overall size of the camera which is a welcome relief as it was just getting too big.

Then there is the RX100.  Kind of in a class of its own with its 1" sensor (maybe Canon will finally make it happen on the G16 or S120, but for now we are still stuck with the 1/1.7" sensor).  However, curious whether most people prefer the faster lens on the G15 or the bigger sensor on the RX100?

Considered the P7700, but it weighs more than the G15 and is wider and thicker than the G15.

Mt Spokane Photography:
I'd wait and see how the CMOS sensor works out.  The CMOS sensor seems to limit the RX100 as far as high ISO noise goes.  They cost less and use less battery power, but for small sensors, they have not matched CCD sensors in the past.

Gman:
The G15 weighs less than the P7700 Because they got rid of the vari angle screen and have a lighter smaller body and lens. If I was happy with a smaller body I'd go for the Sony RX100 but I already have a Canon Ixus A4050 which I bought when my G11 wasn't working and took weeks to get repaired because they had to get a new back from Japan. So I didn't need a smaller camera, there are plenty around to choose from including the RX100.
I wanted and expected a step up from the G12 not a step back into the past.
Incidentally the P7700 still weighs less than the G12.

powershot2012:
Keep in mind the weight of the P7700 and G12 are nearly identical:

P7700 - 392g
G12 - 401g

On the contrary, the G15 weighs 10% less at 352g compared to the P7700, and is 10% narrower and 20% thinner than the P7700.

While the RX100 weighs nearly 40% less, 30% thinner, and nearly 15% narrower than the P7700, BUT has a sensor nearly 3 times larger.   

--- Quote from: Gman on September 17, 2012, 05:16:14 PM ---The G15 weighs less than the P7700 Because they got rid of the vari angle screen and have a lighter smaller body and lens. If I was happy with a smaller body I'd go for the Sony RX100 but I already have a Canon Ixus A4050 which I bought when my G11 wasn't working and took weeks to get repaired because they had to get a new back from Japan. So I didn't need a smaller camera, there are plenty around to choose from including the RX100.
I wanted and expected a step up from the G12 not a step back into the past.
Incidentally the P7700 still weighs less than the G12.

--- End quote ---

DianeK:
I wasn't liking the direction Canon was going and so I am glad I got the RX100.  At first I was a little disappointed that the Sony does not have a macro setting so I decided to see how tight I could crop an image to get macro details.  Sample below with uncropped and cropped image.  For something I can put in my pocket when I don't want to carry my 7D and 100mm lens, I am satisfied with the Sony performance

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version