I'd love to see a new 7D (current owner of one) in the next year or so, but it just won't happen. Best case scenario is this time next year. Canon recycles their pro and semi-pro bodies every few years, and it hasn't been that long for the 7D. Not to mention it's been pretty successful, with people still buying it... so why push a new version out in under three years?
Frankly, I'm fine with waiting a year or two for a new 7D. I still get tons of miles out of mine, and while I do have a wish list for the camera, I don't see a huge margin for improvement without stepping on the feet of some of their other bodies.
But for the record, here's my wish list:
* Better IQ - This is pretty much on everyone's list, and a no brainer for any upgrade -- non-6D, of course
* Expanded AEB - Three shots in a semi-pro body? pffffft
* Ability to remotely control the camera without computer tethering - Canon MUST respond, and quickly, to Nikon on this
Things I couldn't care less about:
* APS-H sensor - Semi-Pro APS-C killed this horse
* Touchscreen - Couldn't be more of a gimmick
* WiFi - Ever transferred 16GB of RAW images over wifi?
* GPS - For the price of the radio and drain on battery, no thanks
* Higher MegaPixels - Not printing billboards
As for auto-focus, I'm on the fence. Would I like more than 19 AF points? Sure. Do I need them? Not really. And it could be worse... could be 11 AF points. ;-)
The bottom line, for me anyway, is that even after my upgrade to the 5D mark iii, I still plan on keeping my 7D in the mix. And to be honest, I thought the 5D would be MORE of an upgrade over the 7D. That's not a dig on the 5D mark iii so much as it is a compliment as to how happy I am with my 7D, and how well it still performs even after owning it for over two years.