October 02, 2014, 01:11:19 PM

Author Topic: Default settings on 5D3 for best on-camera JPG  (Read 1179 times)

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Default settings on 5D3 for best on-camera JPG
« on: October 05, 2012, 05:09:59 PM »

Hello all,

I've noted of late that my JPGs made on-camera with my 5D3 are not quite of the quality that I'd expect.  Sometimes I'm seeing softer edges, other times I am seeing patchy noise reduction effects.  RAW files (unsharpened, not noise reduced) did not see these effects.

Perhaps backing this up, DPReview claimed the IQ of the 5D3's RAW shots was excellent, but that the IQ of the JPGs was lacking:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii/26

So, I was wondering if you have had to tweak some things for best on-camera JPG results.  I keep auto lighting optimizer off completely, but I was wondering in light of the DPReview comments that I should completely shut down High ISO noise reduction as well.

Also, are there other settings you've tweaked on-camera to improve JPG image quality?

Thanks!

- A

canon rumors FORUM

Default settings on 5D3 for best on-camera JPG
« on: October 05, 2012, 05:09:59 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Default settings on 5D3 for best on-camera JPG
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 07:53:38 PM »
You can try the in-camera raw processing to be able to have more control over image quality.  If you want the best, avoid jpeg.  Its fine for ebay and craigslist photos, but for archival work, they won't stand the test of time.
Raw images I took several years ago and processed with Lightroom 2 can be reprocessed with the latest version, and do look much better.  You can't do that to in camera jpegs, they are frozen in time, and best used for cases where time is more important than quality.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Default settings on 5D3 for best on-camera JPG
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 07:53:38 PM »