A few Canon EOS R5 Mark II specifications [CR2]

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Yeah I've seen some of those designs as well, or another one which creates a pretty notable gap in the upright portion from the camera body so you can flip the screen out a little bit. I just really appreciate the simplicity of having the bracket stick close to the body and be static while not taking up a lot of extra space. I think a dual hinge screen structure, for me, would be the best solution, though I don't know how durable they have proven over the years. With that said, I'll take what I can get!
I don't like the gap approach (though the RRS bracket allows that as well, I think the intent is for video shooters with a cabling attached including larger connectors). I was initially worried about the stability of the removable upright portion, but with RRS machining it's a stable unit when connected, and the upright part is gone when not needed. The RP bracket (which I use on my R8) is of the same, modular design. Now, I don't think I'd buy a 1-piece L-plate.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
  • Both Mechanical and Electronic Shutter
  • 30fps (Mechanical)
This leads me to think there will be no mechanical shutter at all. We've seen this kind of misunderstandings before, sometimes due to translation issues.

I highly doubt we'll see a mechanical shutter capable of 30fps. IMO, the camera for that was the 1DX Mark III, yet it topped at 20fps.

The R3 already had sensor readout speed pretty close to that of a mechanical shutter. If they're improving on that, why even keep the mechanical option? Why even invest in mechanical shutter development at this stage, when we're moving towards electronic and global shutters?

I'm thinking that perhaps the original information was something in the lines of "mechanical and electronic shutter all being the same", or "the electronic shutter is the mechanical shutter on the R5 II", due to their similar performance, and that it was interpreted as the camera having both options.

Also, we've had previous rumors stating that the R5 Mark II will not have mechanical shutter.

Just my two cents...

Upvote 0
Haha, you are basically doing the opposite of me. I use mechanical almost all the time, in some situations EFCS.
Yep, I'm in mech shutter all the time. Mainly due to better bit depth for the files. The shutter is super quiet anyway, so I don't need the silent ES.
Like you, hoping the files are a consistent bit depth across the various shutter modes.

Its looking like a pretty decent camera and will be eyeing up replacing my 5D IV so I can be all in on RF.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
For me everything is good about photography... new stacked illuminated sensor, better af (eye af II), 45mp are more than enough etc. BUT the thing that will change drastically the R5 mark II is... video features!! Canon if wants to catch up the competition and in reality I don\'t give a $hit about competition, is to provide some amazing features that only Cinema series have. That is the addition of c-log2 w/o noise and a good for first time DR in a Canon milc camera! If they add a bit of extra stop of better low light then you don\'t have just a winner BUT a King that has best of both worlds! Before anyone rushes to talk... I had a c100 mark ii for 6 years and now a c70 for the last 3 years! Their IQ is from another world and unlike the \"known\" competition, Canon is refusing to provide a few simple things to their milc bodies and still continue to nerf their video capabilities. I wish and hope that will be solved with new flagship models as my back still hurts with RS2pro and c70 combined and I really need something lighter for run n gun situations that I can match with my c70 and w/o adding a ton of NR in post and screw up the image!

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 9, 2018
Most likely developed this sensor for R1 but since A9iii come out, used it for R5II. R1 price point is flagship price point i.e. A1, Z9, 1Diii, D6 range.
the only issue is price. the R5 (non stacked sensor) was pricey when released. Canon R5ii has to match Z8. the Z8 is the competitor.
Pure speculation, without any basis. You cannot simply transfer a sensor to a different camera without replacing the entire electronics. And Canon reacting to the A9 III? Why should they? Maybe as a negative example...
And Nikon are still trying to compete with Canon, with little success. The times of the F, F2 and F3 are over, Nikon have lost their former dominance.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Most likely developed this sensor for R1 but since A9iii come out, used it for R5II.
They didn’t wait that long. They had the R1 sensor several years ago, back when the R1 was so noncompetitive before launch they had to open all the boxes, pry off the R1 badge and replace it with an R3 badge then put them in new boxes. They had so many extra sensors from unsold units they filed them down and used them in the R100 instead.

Really, this stuff is all common knowledge. Try to keep up.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
I've frequently been critical of Canon's lackluster upgrades
I went from EOS-1Ds MkIII to R and it was an absolutely massive upgrade over 11 years. Then from R to R5 felt like the same such leap again. Now it's only been, what, 3 years since the R5 came out?

But for me Eye AF is the killer feature that I think will make as big a jump as IBIS did to my shooting. I'm not a fast worker and it takes forever to move focus points around otherwise, and focus-recompose-shoot has never given dependable focus anyway.

I'll meet you half-way that the rest of this sounds like basically the same camera, though I'd like pre-burst, and I bet there's dozens of nice little upgrades as well. And the stacked sensor might have another stop of dynamic range?

But to be clear I'd pay $2000 in a second for the same old R5 MkI if the ONLY improvement was eye AF. In fact I'd pay $5000 in a second for it. It worked well on my EOS-3 and thanks to that I got more shots with non-centered subjects and excellent focus than I have since.

Upvote 0

David - Sydney

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 7, 2014
www.flickr.com
I believe the 30 FPS mechanical shutter is a bit of an exaggeration. It'll will have 30 FPS in electronic shutter only, the mechanical shutter won't get anywhere near 30 FPS.
I was surprised that the R3 only got a 12fps mechanical shutter vs the 1DXiii's 16fps shutter. I assume that the R3 shutter is the same as the R5 shutter. All 3 shutters have the same 0.5m actuation lifespan.

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

Dec 9, 2018
I don't like the 12-bit files you get by using ES so I never use it. Maybe the R5II will improve on that.
Does anyone have an explanation why electronic shutter reduces the bit depth?

The only idea I have is that data is at some point transferred in 4-bit "nybbles" (a half-byte) and they had time to get 12 bits out with 3 transfers but not enough time to do the last two bits with another transfer. Or more generally but for the same kind of reason, when doing electronic shutter they had to do it fast and only had time to transfer width * depth * 12 bits , but with mechanical shutter they could accept reading the data and taking 17-33% longer. But this reasoning is purely from first principles, without knowing any info whatsoever about R5's, their sensors or electronics,

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SwissFrank

Dec 9, 2018
If they're improving on that, why even keep the mechanical option?
If the camera ever is pointed at the sun it will be so bright that even the shutter can be quickly damaged, I think, and the sensor far faster yet, no? That and dust.

I'd much prefer having a mechanical shutter even if only for safety. It doesn't need to be fast, it can take 1/15 sec to open and open when I push the shutter button half-way

Upvote 0