A look back at the significance the S90

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States

I owned one of these; replaced it with an S95.

I 'shot' some great concerts with the (still functioning) S95.

I would pay a premium for a 2024 version of the S95; tiny, light, responsive and well-specced always works for me.

I imagine some others reading this would as well.

Jul 21, 2010
I never used the S90, but I had the S95 and replaced it with the S100. The latter had some significant improvements.

Like you, I’d be interested in a new version of such a camera – 24-xxx range, shoots RAW. The M6II is great, but sometimes I want something truly pocketable, but with a bigger sensor than my iPhone. Having said that, the recent iPhone Pro models do a really good job, so it’s getting tougher for a P&S to compete even for me, and obviously a lot more so for the general market.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
When my S95 died, I replaced it with an S110 as my pocket camera. Still works fine, but I don't remember when I last used it.

Wonder how it compares to my iPhone 15 Pro Max (3 lenses with 13, 48, and 120mm equivalents) which is much larger but similar weight. One benefit of a camera is that I can do RAW processing and Prime Noise Reduction in DxO PhotoLab. I'm not sure about the new iPhone DNG format. The iPhone likely wins for video recording. I might have to do some tests one day.

For convenience I might still opt for the phone so I can carry one less thing.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
When my S95 died, I replaced it with an S110 as my pocket camera. Still works fine, but I don't remember when I last used it.

Wonder how it compares to my iPhone 15 Pro Max (3 lenses with 13, 48, and 120mm equivalents) which is much larger but similar weight. One benefit of a camera is that I can do RAW processing and Prime Noise Reduction in DxO PhotoLab. I'm not sure about the new iPhone DNG format. The iPhone likely wins for video recording. I might have to do some tests one day.

For convenience I might still opt for the phone so I can carry one less thing.
DxO doesn’t support anything the iPhone produces :(

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
DxO doesn’t support anything the iPhone produces :(

Thanks! I knew DxO had minimal support for JPG and HEIF which aren't RAW formats. They also don't have great support for scanner images in RAW formats either. No real surprise they haven't done RAW formats for phones.

Upvote 0